General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | [81] | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gouledw
(regular) Sat 03-Jun-17 13:22:00
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: JamesC1999] [link to this post]

Just relax about it. Remember this isn't a driving test. 4 years ago I was in your shoes, passed my test 3 months and suddenly you're in a massive van. They'll be aware of how long you've been driving and your age, they'll give you additional support and probably a whole day with someone. Driving a van is easy after a few go's. Just remember to go slower, that the limit is 50mph on single carriageways and 60 on dual carriageways. Don't rev it like mad, and smooth gear shifts. The van comes with parking sensors as well. Don't have the music blaring. Etc, its more common sense than anything. And don't worry if you stall it.
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sat 03-Jun-17 15:01:17
Print Post

[re: pythonz] [link to this post]

An employee told me on the phone that I'd got the job and be working in FVR buddy
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sat 03-Jun-17 15:02:45
Print Post

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

Cheers gouledw, this has cleared it up for me! Thanks bud.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Sat 03-Jun-17 16:41:26
Print Post

If you can drive a car you can drive a van that's what my boss said to me the day I passed my test and you know what he was right. Sure it feels different but in all honesty they drive a lot like a car so take your time, use your mirrors and you wont go far wrong.

Because you haven't driven one before they will likely give you time to settle in and should you need it a little training too. The guys assessing you are driving instructors so they know how to teach and will be happy to do so.

It is nothing like the driving test, firstly you know how to drive so they aren't looking to see if you can drive they are looking to see if you still do things like check mirrors, do proper observations at junctions etc. Don't be an idiot and you wont go far wrong.
Its bigger than a car so you need to slow down a little more on bends and corners and the speed limits are different but you'll likely be given that training in the morning anyway.
I believe they give new(young) drivers more training anyway so dont worry too much be honest though and tell them you haven't driven a van before.

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.
Standard User Ryan6
(newbie) Sat 03-Jun-17 19:10:53
Print Post

[re: mxrndl] [link to this post]

I'm in Merseyside and around the beginning of April is when I received my first email as well
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sun 04-Jun-17 07:46:31
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Cheers ShavedApe for the advice, and also how soon do you get the confirmation of the start date? I start on the 3rd of July but just wanted to know when others got their date. Thanks
Standard User Mattb15
(learned) Sun 04-Jun-17 08:32:37
Print Post

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

Shame you drive like a girl though!!!
Standard User Tvwize86
(learned) Sun 04-Jun-17 09:45:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by JamesC1999:
Cheers ShavedApe for the advice, and also how soon do you get the confirmation of the start date? I start on the 3rd of July but just wanted to know when others got their date. Thanks

I start the 19th of June and got "Ready to start with BT" email confirming start date, job role and my UIN number on the 31/05/2017

The email says as well "Your new manager will be in touch to let you know where you need to go on your first day. If you havenít heard from your line manager within a week of your start date please feel free to contact them."

So I'm awaiting details of train tickets etc.

I finished all my 7 tasks on the 26/05/2017, hope this info helps!
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sun 04-Jun-17 10:00:32
Print Post

[re: Tvwize86] [link to this post]

Thanks pal, this info has helped a lot! If I dont hear anything I will give them a ring just to check. Cheers mate!

Edited by JamesC1999 (Sun 04-Jun-17 10:00:49)

Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Sun 04-Jun-17 18:40:10
Print Post

Contact is few and far between once you are told you have the job, for example I was invited to Yarnfield 29th March then I was told I had the job April 6th but it was April 10th till I got an email confirming the job and telling me to go and accept it online.

There I had my tasks like references disclosure scotland etc. Completed those and on 12th April I was asked to do a couple more tasks, those where clothing sizes, photo, and driving licence check. Think I had already supplied a photo but I did it again just to be sure.

Then I heard nothing at all until 5th May that was simply to stay they had finished there initial checks and to tell me my UIN and that I should hear from my manager within a week of my start date, this bit is not true and it will be week three before you meet your manager and likely towards the end of week 2 before you get an email with his name. Before that you are given the manager of all new recruits as your line manager.

It was then I think 8th May before I heard anything again that was my travel details then an email at the end of the week detailing what happens the day of travel and the dress code etc for day one.

Then the end of the week before I start on the Friday we had a conference call that pretty much went over anything in the email he had sent the day before which was pretty much the same email as the one we got the week before.

Then on the Sunday travel down to Yarnfield picked up in minibus and taken to Yarnfield Park its about 10 mins from station.

Once you get your iphone you'll realize that things have been ticking over in the background quite nicely and they definitely dont forget you they just have a lot to do in the time between confirmation and start date and there is a lot on each intake I think it was 61 on mine.

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.
Pages in this thread: << 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | [81] | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to