General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | [85] | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dslammer
(learned) Fri 09-Jun-17 19:42:25
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

I have just completed week 3. This is where you start to learn about what the job actually is all about.

The contrast to Yarnfield is very marked. Yarnfield is now just a distant admin exercise.

Hand Held Tester
Frames
Jumpering
Street Cabs

The good thing is you meet people who are ahead of you in the course timetable.

Good luck to all joining on Monday
Standard User lincsboy1979
(member) Fri 09-Jun-17 19:45:47
Print Post

[re: Tvwize86] [link to this post]

yea thats what he thought but they tried saying he signed to be employed from that address,at yarnfield they reckon u av to get permission to move from bt as it could affect ur role,it sounds like nonsense but they did make a massive issue of it,there was another lad who was a member of openreach and apparantley he moved and didnt tell them and was then told as hed moved 20 mins away there wasnt a job in that area and even though he was at same exchange they sacked him!!!not sure how true it is but just thought id share,they r very harsh on a lot of things,u should av seen some of the lads when they were told they couldnt av time off,i thought they were gonna break down smile
Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Fri 09-Jun-17 19:57:49
Print Post

[re: Dslammer] [link to this post]

Also finished week 3 where are you training?

HHT was definitely tough on the old brain cells, did PCP today and it was so good to finally understand what all those wires are for in the cab.

And remember it's just 2 wires

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.

Edited by ShavedApe (Fri 09-Jun-17 20:02:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JamesC1999
(learned) Fri 09-Jun-17 20:25:23
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

Cheers mate smile
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Fri 09-Jun-17 20:35:55
Print Post

Could you define Jumpering mate? Also what's the difference between a Cab and a Frame? I'm just trying to build some basic knowledge so I'm not totally lost when I start
Standard User benstoke89
(newbie) Fri 09-Jun-17 21:08:00
Print Post

[re: Bons] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bons:
Fiber is BCD and deal mainly with underground. You do 17 weeks training and don't get a van till the 5th week although you do get a kettle and microwave in your vans as you spend most of you time working on the UG network out on the country roads you also install fiber in businesses and there is a little pole work involved.

Your still do the first 2 weeks in Yarnfield and the driving assessment on the Thursday but in the larger vans. But week 3 you start with UG training were as the Service Delivery people do frames then you do your fiber splicing then onto Exchange -> Cabs -> Poles

Great information thank you. What vans do the fibre guys get then? I didn't realise you need extra courses to drive a bigger van.
Standard User JamesC1999
(learned) Fri 09-Jun-17 22:15:56
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8 *DELETED*

[re: benstoke89] [link to this post]

Post deleted by JamesC1999
Standard User unknown101
(regular) Fri 09-Jun-17 23:57:38
Print Post

[re: Tvwize86] [link to this post]

Not entitled to it unless you've been with the company for at least 12 months. Will only be entitled to the government stat pay.
Standard User Dslammer
(learned) Sat 10-Jun-17 07:44:03
Print Post

[re: GDLuke] [link to this post]

Don't think too much about it mate. It is very very simple. Everything is just 2 wires from your house to the telephone exchange.

A jumper is just 2 wires

A cab is the green box you see in the street

A frame is where the 2 wires connect in the telephone exchange

DON'T Worry about anything it is just 2 wires. Wiring the plug is complicated, compared to the 2 wires.

The best thing is the trainers really want to help you understand and do the job properly. There are a lot of very good people in the company who will help you as well.

Be positive and everything will be fine.
Standard User Nrfk24
(newbie) Sat 10-Jun-17 09:57:15
Print Post

Anyone else heading up tomorrow?
Pages in this thread: << 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | [85] | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to