General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:22:00
Print Post

Openreach recruitment 8

[link to this post]

welcome to the next part of the thread..
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:28:34
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8

[re: mckeo5514] [link to this post]

With a new forum it might be worth considering having posts created as needed for specific areas. So, there might be a thread about interviews, about onboarding, about training, etc rather than one superthread that has to keep getting closed because of size.
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 27-Apr-17 13:56:02
Print Post

Christ you are doing it all in one go aren't you?! I don't envy all that stress tbh. Just starting this is enough stress for me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Thu 27-Apr-17 14:19:37
Print Post

[re: Johnsmic] [link to this post]

ill be handing in the mphil next week, its only corrections. ive had the viva already so ill get that out the way. ill be moving over to b69 after monday hopefully at weekends. and 17/6 for the wedding so lots to focus on.
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 27-Apr-17 14:41:26
Print Post

Wow. Good luck to you mate. That's a hell of a lot to take on in short space of time.

Just had my email come through regarding induction on the 8th. looks like its 2 weeks at yarnfield rather than 1 as I was previously told.
Standard User Robmitch123
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 14:43:35
Print Post

Anyone starting on 22nd of may ?
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 14:47:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi guys & girls,

I have been invited to an assessment in London on 11th May, cant wait!! Really great forum! Really helpful stuff on here!!
Standard User Green75
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 15:05:14
Print Post

15th May for me. 2 weeks eh ! As im in South Devon its a 5 hours down on the Friday then 5 hours up again on the Sunday.
I hope the remaining weeks are a little closer to home!

Edited by Green75 (Thu 27-Apr-17 15:05:44)

Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 15:42:11
Print Post

[re: Green75] [link to this post]

I'm also starting May 15th all coming ongoing very quickly now
Standard User Villa1874
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 17:03:17
Print Post

[re: Kirky89] [link to this post]

Hello I'm not starting until 14 August . Anyone else starting then?
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:07:57
Print Post

[re: Villa1874] [link to this post]

Anyone coming up from west wales? Starting the 8th for 2 weeks in yarnfield. Staying in a holiday inn from sunday untill wednesday as its all booked up!? Anyone else had this
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:21:15
Print Post

[re: Robmitch123] [link to this post]

I'm starting 22nd may
Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:23:59
Print Post

Don't think there is a tattoo policy mate loads of us have full sleeves and tattoos on show. Maybe different if they are religious or offensive ones.
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:37:24
Print Post

[re: Swanseajack91] [link to this post]

Thanks for that mate, I have two full sleeves and didn't want to turn up in a t-shirt if it's warm and get in trouble straight away.
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:55:41
Print Post

Hi all

I have been lurking around for a bit but I have decided to add my story. Started the application back in march. Completed the video interview and the online assessments. Got a phone call last week inviting me to the assessment day Wednesday in Preston as some people had dropped out. Overall I have found the application process fairly straightforward. I know others have waited a lot longer than me.

As for the assessment day, I felt it went very well. Nothing like I was expecting. I was myself throughout and I'm happy with that. If I don't get through I will be heartbroken but I will also know that I did my very best.
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 18:58:24
Print Post

[re: MrSpud] [link to this post]

Hi, I posted in the last part of this thread.. And I had my assessment day today in South Shields. I think it went really well and just hope I pass it!
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 20:16:11
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

You had any news on travel or anything shaved ape
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 20:37:05
Print Post

No mate not as yet, I sent them my Disclosure Scotland and even put a read receipt on it and nothing so at this point I have no idea if they have even opened the email or not.

My managers have not been contacted for references either and I was hoping they would of done that before I leave.

I get that they are busy and all that but it would be nice to be kept a little in the loop from time to time.

Edited by ShavedApe (Thu 27-Apr-17 20:59:56)

Standard User allbro75
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:21:26
Print Post

I'm starting the 15th of May as well, finish my current job tomorrow and looking to 2 weeks off before starting. Anyone else be traveling from Scotland to start on the 15th?
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:27:05
Print Post

is the conference call on the 4th or tomorrow?
Standard User Firsttwodie
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:29:42
Print Post

[re: allbro75] [link to this post]

I start the 15th from Nirfolk starting to become real and after 21 years in my current job is a strange and new feeling working up til 9th for me!
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:43:37
Print Post

[re: Firsttwodie] [link to this post]

looks like theres 10 per intake
(learned) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:47:30
Print Post

Same had someone ask for license no another photo few other bit but after that nothing I'm sure all will be good just had a look an realised I first applied for this job July 2015 so few more week arnt gonna hurt lol
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 27-Apr-17 21:56:36
Print Post

you applied a month before me
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 27-Apr-17 22:44:17
Print Post

No idea mate: I'm as confused by that as you.
Standard User allbro75
(newbie) Thu 27-Apr-17 23:09:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Firsttwodie:
I start the 15th from Nirfolk starting to become real and after 21 years in my current job is a strange and new feeling working up til 9th for me!

I'm 15 years in my current job, so looking forward to a change. Will be strange walking out the building for the last time tomorrow.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Fri 28-Apr-17 08:07:46
Print Post

[re: Beanydc] [link to this post]

I'm travelling by train on the 7th May,from Northumberland and staying in Holiday Inn first few nights
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Fri 28-Apr-17 10:40:26
Print Post

[re: Hoss28] [link to this post]

Yeah same as that! Not looking forward to the 6 and half hour train journey mind haha.
Standard User theADDict
(newbie) Fri 28-Apr-17 11:14:54
Print Post

No mate not as yet, I sent them my Disclosure Scotland and even put a read receipt on it and nothing so at this point I have no idea if they have even opened the email or not.

My managers have not been contacted for references either and I was hoping they would of done that before I leave.

I get that they are busy and all that but it would be nice to be kept a little in the loop from time to time.

don't worry mate, I'm down for 22nd, only did assessment last week, got job offer and date monday..Disclosure tuesday.
Think mine may get closed as I can't even supply last 3 years references from EMPLOYER...self employed and unemployed.

anyhoo..22nd may yarnfield

theADDict - then Croydon , which for me is 3.5 hrs+ away
ShavedApe - then Bolton think you said
Robmitch123

Edited by theADDict (Fri 28-Apr-17 11:17:46)

Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Fri 28-Apr-17 15:31:58
Print Post

[re: theADDict] [link to this post]

I did my assessment on Wednesday, the wait to know is killing me! If not today with the bank holiday my weekend will not be fun!
(learned) Fri 28-Apr-17 16:41:19
Print Post

[re: theADDict] [link to this post]

Croydon would be nice for me I've not need told where I'll be after yarnfeild yet
Standard User Rhamilton32
(newbie) Fri 28-Apr-17 20:17:22
Print Post

Hi all, I'm starting at Yarnfield on 7th of August, going to be based in Crewe. Anyone else starting around that date?
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sat 29-Apr-17 00:21:39
Print Post

[re: Rhamilton32] [link to this post]

Do you get some kind of allowance for been away from home?
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sat 29-Apr-17 02:05:32
Print Post

wishful thinking but i dont think so as theyre providing accomodation
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 29-Apr-17 09:35:46
Print Post

All meals are paid for including at the hotel for the 1st 2 nights plus travel to and from yarnfiels so no need for an allowance really! Not long now lads!
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 29-Apr-17 09:38:37
Print Post

How was your 1st week then mate?

What kind of van did you get? And how was the driving assesment? lol
Standard User lincsboy1979
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 09:56:56
Print Post

allright swanseajack,have you allready started your training at yarnfield???
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 10:00:06
Print Post

hi mate im starting on 15th but my mate is starting on the 8th and has conference call at 17.30 on thursday 4th may
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 10:20:20
Print Post

Thought i would share my story for anyone else in the application process
First applied in june 2016 but after doing the online assesment received an email saying that applications had been temporarily suspended and if i was still interested to basically hang on and go about my buisness.Received an email at start of february 2017 inviting me to do video interview,this replaced the phone interview stage as of 2017,its strange as you are answering questions in a sort of facetime/skype situation but you are in the small box in right hand corner aswell.Got through that and was invited to my assesment in Leeds on 19/04/17,200 mile round trip and £17 to park as no parking,but well worth it as contacted on 21/04/17 with job offer.Assesment not too bad its quite rapid and theres no time to dwell really,afteer the initial talk from the recruiter guy you are split into groups and all go and do the various tasks.My first one was the maths and english tests,2 40 min tests on a laptop,start off quite easy and get progressively harder,apparantley there is no pass/fail its just to determine your levels in both subjects.Out of those,quick toilet break and onto the wiring of the plug.Done it loads of times but somehow when you are being watched and theres a time limit,the plug somehow turns into a bomb and your hands are at 6's and 7's!!!All i cna say is do it the way it states on the card and remember to put your safety glasses on as its all about following instructions!!I was straight out of there and into my first 30 minute interview,ask you 3 questions and for you to give examples of certain things you have done in your life.Was out of that one and quick drink of water and then into next interview with slightly different questions,no point listing them as everyone has different questions.Then massive relief as it was all over,the quickest 5 hours ever.Must admit the whole process was interesting and if you dont get through it will be a good interview experience.Anyway start my training in yarnfield on 15th may and after 20 years in construction,i cant wait.
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 11:22:23
Print Post

[re: lincsboy1979] [link to this post]

Hey mate thanks for the info. Are the interviews one on one or in a group?

Edited by GDLuke (Sat 29-Apr-17 11:22:51)

Standard User allbro75
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 12:05:19
Print Post

Hi, I start on the 15th as well. Looking forward to starting something new as well and will probably meet you there.

Allen.
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 12:08:46
Print Post

[re: GDLuke] [link to this post]

They are one on one. They are relaxed and I get the impression that the interviewer isn't there to make you crash and burn. I had 2 very good chats with mine, almost like talking to someone you have known for years and they took notes throughout. However I am yet to hear if I have passed so don't take my advice just yet
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Sat 29-Apr-17 13:22:34
Print Post

[re: Rickimcc78] [link to this post]

I'm an ex driving instructor so while I haven't yet been through this assessment I did do them myself for a long time.

Remember it's not a test you can already drive so he isn't looking for that more he's looking to see if you are a safe, legal and courteous driver. Sure if you drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the gear stick he will notice it and probably advise you about it but he's not likely to fail you on it.
I hate using the word fail as its not a test sure if your a complete idiot he will fail you but it's more a test like the maths and English from the assessment. Not a pass or fail but a way of seeing what "level" you are.

Don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine.

When doing any manoeuvre make good use of mirrors and observations. Don't forget BOB when moving away (Boy On a Bike aka your blind spot check over your shoulder before you move!).

If you haven't driven a van before or can't practice just think of it as a big car because honestly they drive a lot like a car these days.

Set up your mirrors so you can see about the width of two fingers van, and everything else should be road and sky. Pointing them down so you can see the back wheel will help when reversing but useless for everything else and to be honest reduces what you can see when reversing too so don't do it.

Hope this helps
As I say not a test so don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine.

Edited by ShavedApe (Sat 29-Apr-17 13:26:09)

Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 29-Apr-17 15:30:10
Print Post

Cheers mate, much appreciated!

I'm currently driving a class 2 lorry so size isn't an issue for me, more so the fact I can get nervous when I'm being watched! The plug test I felt like a bomb disposal expert with sweet running down my head just cause we where being tested on it haha
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 16:03:18
Print Post

Hi All,

Have been watching these thread for sometime now and just thought I'd get involved. I'm starting 5th June and was wondering if any of you lot that have just done your first week could share what you though and how the week goes from what the grub was like to the sort of equipment a you get given.

Tia
Standard User martthefart1111
(newbie) Sat 29-Apr-17 21:57:02
Print Post

[re: Bons] [link to this post]

Hi all got through to the video interview any tips please iam very nervous got to do it by the 4th may???????
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 07:48:03
Print Post

[re: martthefart1111] [link to this post]

I would recommend being yourself and make the most of the time you have to think about your answers between the questions. I was really worried about it as I had never completed a video interview before but it's not as bad as you may think. Good luck!!
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 07:55:36
Print Post

As said above be yourself, I wore a suit for it, well the top half anyway. It's the first time an recruiter will see you so first impressions and all that. Keep doing the practice question. You will feel a bit silly talking to your phone but you will kinda get used to it. My video interview was all about customer service and a bit on working safely. Also think through the reasons why you want to join
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 08:02:15
Print Post

First week was good mate, not done any technical training yet was a full week of inductions and getting kit. Driving assessment was horrible for me and the other bloke I did it with, was like a real test however everyone else said they had a 15 minute drive and they where done so I think we pulled the short straw with the only strict instructor still managed to pass it so wasn't too bad.
Vans are lovely brand spanking new 17 plates Ford transit customs. Back to Yarnfield next week then in cardiff for 4 weeks.
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 09:32:45
Print Post

interviews are 1 on 1 they take you up to an interview room which seems like miles away and there is a suitability and capability,suitability was more about you as a person and capability was a few more questions based on things you hae done at work and how you would go about tasks.Both interviewers were very good i had a male and a female and the last thing they want you tio be is nervous and the whole process was quite relaxed,all they say is they can only write what you say so try not to stall and freeze,just take your time and breathe.
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 09:38:13
Print Post

allright mate,do you know how strict they are on the weight limit for the pole test,fluctuating ariund that weight and hopefully be under it ready for yarnfield but on the form i remeber circling thast staying under that limit wiyuldnt be a problem but wondered if they weigh everyone.Being a scaffolder i know the weight limits are guides on the harnesses so noit sure
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:16:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by martthefart1111:
Hi all got through to the video interview any tips please iam very nervous got to do it by the 4th may???????

All i can say is make sure you present yourself well as this is the first time somebody will actually see you in the flesh and this replaced the phone interview stage as of this year as apparantley they wanted to see how you reacted in the flesh to certain questions rather than being able to wing it on the end of a phone.Make sure you follow the instructions on how to set up your screen as the last thing you want to do is send off your interview with your head chopped off!!!It is strange as you can see yourself in the top of the screen and its hard not to look at yourself talking but if you do and dont look at the webcam when its played back your eyes will be looking at the top right of your screen rather than at the person that will be watching it.You can only do your best so go into it relaxed and not tired or if you know there will be interuptions,sure you will be fine
Standard User davek19
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:27:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by lincsboy1979:
allright mate,do you know how strict they are on the weight limit for the pole test,fluctuating ariund that weight and hopefully be under it ready for yarnfield but on the form i remeber circling thast staying under that limit wiyuldnt be a problem but wondered if they weigh everyone.Being a scaffolder i know the weight limits are guides on the harnesses so noit sure

What is the weight limit? I seem to recall something saying 18st 11oz? Or somewhere around there
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:43:11
Print Post

i did the phone interview with bt but i did a more recent video interview on hirevues. the advice is wear a suit top and look presentable. practice first. it says to slightly exaggerate your facial expressions as theyre not so noticable on a video.be/look friendly, focus on customer service/ safety with answers.
give detailed examples of things you did.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:43:41
Print Post

[re: davek19] [link to this post]

117kg wasnt it?
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:46:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by davek19:

What is the weight limit? I seem to recall something saying 18st 11oz? Or somewhere around there

yea im 6ft 4 so hover around that weight anyway but lost a bit for the assesment as wasnt sure it was a guide or a strict guideline.i wear a harness everyday and there are weight guidlines for different sizes but its just that a guidline not an actual rule,i would hate to have got this far and then being outed for being over that limit
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:49:07
Print Post

yea im 6ft 4 so hover around that weight anyway but lost a bit for the assesment as wasnt sure it was a guide or a strict guideline.i wear a harness everyday and there are weight guidlines for different sizes but its just that a guidline not an actual rule,i would hate to have got this far and then being outed for being over that limit

yea its 117 kg or 18st 11 but just woindering if anyone has done the pole training yet and whether they checked anyones weight
Standard User davek19
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:52:25
Print Post

I can't remember the exact figure but I'm 17st 11 and remember seeing a figure during the application process that gave me around a stone of leeway.
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 11:06:01
Print Post

That figure would be the SWL of the harness but they would be able to hold a lot more than that.
Standard User davek19
(learned) Sun 30-Apr-17 11:09:09
Print Post

I'm guessing the figure they show on the application form is our weight not the combined weight of the person and the safety gear?
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 11:11:51
Print Post

I can't remember the exact figure but I'm 17st 11 and remember seeing a figure during the application process that gave me around a stone of leeway.

yes it is 18st 11,for sure i know that but was just wondering if anyone on here had atually done the pole training at yarnfield which is what the harness is for and if your weight is tested,for example my harness at work has a SWL but if it fits comfortably and safely it doesnt matter about the exact weight
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 14:13:40
Print Post

Not done the poles yet however there's a big bloke in my team think he said he was nearly 18st so as long as your under the limit you should be fine I think.
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 15:12:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Swanseajack91:
Not done the poles yet however there's a big bloke in my team think he said he was nearly 18st so as long as your under the limit you should be fine I think.

cheers mate is the first week just paperwork and classroom then also after your first week is that room yours for the duration or do you have to empty it out on the first friday??
(newbie) Sun 30-Apr-17 17:02:40
Print Post

Brilliant can log on and practice without doing the video interview,thanks for the advice I'm in south wales
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 17:10:56
Print Post

Pretty much first week has been admin, few health and safety lessons and driving assessment. Can't comment on the rooms yet we stayed In a hotel as Yarnfield was full. I'm certain you will have the same room all week though. Images you get a new room every week depends if your doing the full 12 weeks at Yarnfield or closer to home.
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Sun 30-Apr-17 19:36:15
Print Post

Swanseajack91 thanks for the info, just a couple questions have you been given a training schedule on how it will pan out? Also what time did you finish on the Friday just what to know what time I can look to be home on the Friday many thanks
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sun 30-Apr-17 19:48:22
Print Post

Nice one mate, thanks for the info again, at least you never forgot about us like the 1st lot haha. Hope I don't get the instructor you got!

Was hoping it was transit customs, hopefully the same.
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 21:09:20
Print Post

Yeah we had a full schedule on the first day, included all the training/buddying. Left magna park about 11:30 Friday mate.
(member) Sun 30-Apr-17 21:11:48
Print Post

Only seems right to give some feedback I know I had questions I wondered before I started ! Hopefully not mate, they are much nicer than the vivaros I drove much bigger in the front. The kitting in the back is amazing.
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Sun 30-Apr-17 21:26:29
Print Post

Bit of a early finish on the Friday! What time were you starting/finish Monday to Thursday if you don't mind me asking. Thanks again for the feedback, good to have some insight into what we'll be doing
(member) Mon 01-May-17 08:18:32
Print Post

Start time was about 8-4ish varied some days, mainly for us because we where staying in a hotel so had to get a coach to Yarnfield park. Had around an hour for lunch too.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 09:43:08
Print Post

Did you stay at a holiday inn? There was a bus from there to yarnfield i take it or do you have to find your own way there and back?

You finished all your training and working solo yet?
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 09:56:34
Print Post

Thanks for info swanseajack,im gonna leave all my info on here after my training,great forum i stumbled onto accidently but so good for people in the same boat.
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Mon 01-May-17 12:01:57
Print Post

Pretty sure he said earlier that there was a coach for them to get to and from the hotel and I know for sure he's only just finished the first week.

Big thanks to those like Swanseajack91 and the others that have given info on their first weeks training it is much appreciated by all, I still have about three weeks before I start so its nice to get info on what to expect.
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 12:04:36
Print Post

When do you start ShavedApe?

I'm starting 5th June
(member) Mon 01-May-17 12:49:43
Print Post

We stayed in a best westeren first week coach at 7:30 am then took us back at about 4:30. Driving down for my last week at Yarnfield tonight. Well done and good luck to everyone starting soon seems like a really good company and job lots of room for progression and premonitions.
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Mon 01-May-17 13:17:35
Print Post

Im 22nd May the wait is killing me but I have now handed in my notice so that at least felt [censored] good no more an ex driving instructor / Tesco Delivery driver laugh

I was just wondering it being a bank holiday today are the guys on training still on training or given the day off? I know for the most part we get 22 days plus bank holidays but does that apply in these early stages too?

Edited by ShavedApe (Mon 01-May-17 14:09:03)

(member) Mon 01-May-17 14:19:28
Print Post

Hi my application e-mail stated

In order to comply with our health and safety requirements candidates must be under 119kg and be able to see a full range of colours. If you feel that you can’t meet these requirements then please do let me know.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Mon 01-May-17 14:58:17
Print Post

Can't wait to start on 8th May. ...been a long time coming but almost here now!!who's all starting on 8th at Yarnfield?

Do you get a fuel card???Just wondering how you go about filling up your van???
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Mon 01-May-17 15:04:28
Print Post

how do we get the van cleaned?
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Mon 01-May-17 17:08:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by mckeo5514:

Probably with a bit of elbow grease wink lol
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 17:49:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kirky89:

Probably with a bit of elbow grease wink lol

Think the fact they give you a free brand new van fully kitted out they are going to expect you to keep it clean or give a tenner to the polish.I know you are expected to keep it clean and make sure theres no co££s drawn on the back or anything as your the face of the company when out and about.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Mon 01-May-17 18:31:55
Print Post

not so sure. im not allowed to wash my car in my development. ill already be paying £100 a month just to park it. wondering if vans can be washed using the fuel card as i know you can get oil on fuel cards.
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 18:37:08
Print Post

sorry swanseajack you seem to be the only one with the information on here and glad your sharing it,i know you have been in the hotel for first week,my mate starts on the 8th and hes in holiday inn for first 2 nights as yarnfield is full,he was worried about the bus situation but i seen that was answered earlier.I read on a forum from a couple of years ago before the refurbishment that there was a gym,sauna,and cheap bar on site,do you know if they are still on site for us to use??
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 18:40:26
Print Post

how come you have a car and whats the development???do you mean where you park it at night??are you not allowed to park at home??
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Mon 01-May-17 19:31:55
Print Post

lol ive got a car because i can drive lol. i only have one space in the underground carpark at my apartment block and will have to rent another. its a prime central birmingham location so itll cost about £100 to park my van at home every month
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-May-17 19:58:29
Print Post

i only have one space in the underground carpark at my apartment block and will have to rent another. its a prime central birmingham location so itll cost about £100 to park my van at home every month
Needing a second space might not be your only problem - you need to check that you are allowed to park a business vehicle on the site at all. Many leases for flats forbid business vehicles from being parked on the site, or impose restrictions such as no signwritten vehicles or no business vehicles without written permission from the freeholder.

Grabbing a lease I have to hand:

[The tenant covenants] Not to park or leave any commercial vehicle caravan boat or trailer of any kind on any part of the Common Parts nor leave any article whatsoever on any part of the Common Parts.

This one is ambiguous, as the definition of Common Parts given elsewhere in the lease is unclear as to whether it covers the parking space allocated by the lease. That's not the only piece of bad drafting in this particular lease. It seems possible that the lease intended to prohibit all commercial vehicles on the site, but may only prohibit them in shared parking.

The details of this particular lease do not matter - it is the details of any lease or other binding agreement that applies to where you live. If you rent a leasehold flat or parking space, you are limited by the restrictions in your tenancy agreement and by the restrictions in your landlord's lease.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 19:59:28
Print Post

lol ive got a car because i can drive lol. i only have one space in the underground carpark at my apartment block and will have to rent another. its a prime central birmingham location so itll cost about £100 to park my van at home every month

thought u meant u had a bt car instead of a van,apparantley there are people who are exchange parkers and allowed to leave their vans at the exchange they work out of if they can not park van at home.
Standard User gouledw
(regular) Mon 01-May-17 20:24:01
Print Post

All of you who start now are on different contracts to us older lot. You guys can still park a van in the exchange but you still have to give up to an hour in the morning and evening in line with your contractual terms. The difference in contract is us older guys don't have to give time.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Mon 01-May-17 20:29:39
Print Post

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

thats a relief ontop of my student loans and the new trainee position paycut from the original advertised salary the 100 quid wouldve made a big dent in final take home pay
Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Mon 01-May-17 21:19:57
Print Post

Thanks for the info it's been great to hear what I've got to look forward too on the 3rd July !! Can't wait now !!

Just out of curiosity does the van have any comforts like a USB port/aux cable/Bluetooth etc ?? Seen the Transits have a decent Basic spec. It's a 4.5 hour drive home from Magna Park for me so hopefully there's some comforts for the journey haha

Also what do you recommend we take down with us ?? I've heard a spare bag mentioned for all the uniform and PPE etc ??
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 21:40:36
Print Post

I start on the 8th too and at the holiday inn. Supposesdly theres a bus that picks us up and drops us off back to the holidsy inn i take it
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 21:43:07
Print Post

I start on 8th too. Id say its a fuel card unless they have accounts with say tesco etc. The company i work for atm have avcounts at tesco. Fill up and give number plate and mileage etc
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 21:49:33
Print Post

Thats tidy mate. Im from pembrokeshire so not to far past swansea. Where is your 2nd part of training being held? Will it be Cardiff? Or uo to yarnfield for the 12 weeks? They said itd be closer to home if possible. Fingera crossed as have a baby on the way lol.

Also did everyone have the same van on the day or did it vary
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Mon 01-May-17 23:32:12
Print Post

What was the salary advertised as originally? I heard 20k to start and around 23k after 12 months
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Mon 01-May-17 23:48:51
Print Post

was 23k + 10% bonus when a lot of us applied and interviewed. then after a really long wait when the job offer came it was changed to 20k for first 12 months. assuming we dont get the 10% until 12 months is up as it hasnt been mentioned then that equates as a 5.3k drop for the first year.
(member) Mon 01-May-17 23:51:57
Print Post

[re: Bjt1992] [link to this post]

The vans are very nice in my opinion USB port and heated seats auto lights etc and stop start, we had field cards issued only to be used at esso garages.
As for facilities at Yarnfield food is nice sort of a buffet selection, there is a gym and sauna it looks okay nothing special. The bar is decent few pool tables and fruit machines happy hour is £2 a pint!
As for what to take I took a suitcase and a hold all, still had to lug a massive box but it's not so bad as everyone does it you will get ALOT of kit you do get a nice rucksack for the laptop/phone though =)
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Mon 01-May-17 23:55:31
Print Post

I cant wait less than a week to go now
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 06:18:58
Print Post

was 23k + 10% bonus when a lot of us applied and interviewed. then after a really long wait when the job offer came it was changed to 20k for first 12 months. assuming we dont get the 10% until 12 months is up as it hasnt been mentioned then that equates as a 5.3k drop for the first year.

Some openreach lads came to install on the job im on at the minute so went to have a chat with them.The bonus is work related but not price work so to speak,theyve been doing it for 2 years and never not got it.Apparantley its paid in your wages every month rather than a lump sum.When i applied in june 2016 it was stated as starting on £23000 plus bonus,they dropped it as of february 2017 to £20000 with it going up to £23500 after 12 months,and it wasnt going to rise on lasy years advert but they obviously want to you hold on and do your 12 months first now before going onto the £23500 rather than give you it straight away.There are chances to go up though after your training and the two lads i spoke to said the more you learn the more you earn so there is chance to progress your wages if you are prepared to take on more training.
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 06:21:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Beanydc:
I start on the 8th too and at the holiday inn. Supposesdly theres a bus that picks us up and drops us off back to the holidsy inn i take it

I start on the 15th but my mate starts on the 8th and is in the hotel for 2 nights,there is a bus that comes to pick you up apparantley as there are people in a few different hotels a posat earlier said you get picked up at 7.30 and dropped off at 4.30 and you get your meals in the hotel.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-May-17 07:18:17
Print Post

I was talking with a British Gas employee yesterday.

Apparently the BG vans have very similar tracking systems; and his van is normally parked overnight and days-off in his short drive.

On one day-off, he moved the van out on to the street, to allow access to something in the garden, around 15 to 20 metres.

This was picked up on the tracking system almost immediately, apparently initially by the ignition being switched ON; and he was asked to explain.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 07:30:35
Print Post

Tidy. Where is the next part of your training buddying up being held dif they say? Im assuming itl be cardiff way?
Standard User JimbooSWE
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 08:04:37
Print Post

Anyone from Cornwall done the assessment centre yet? Ive passed the video interview but waiting on a date (If at all) for the assessment.
(member) Tue 02-May-17 09:24:58
Print Post

Yeah mate cardiff, forestfarm site.
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 10:45:25
Print Post

Just had an email saying that they are changing all the arrivals on the Monday (8th) morning to the Sunday night. Anyone else had this?!
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 11:00:02
Print Post

[re: Ett18] [link to this post]

Just got "the call" I start 26th June. I honestly can't believe it!
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 11:20:00
Print Post

Congratulations!!! I'm on an assessment centre on the 11th in London I'm so nervous/excited/worried, I really want this job!
Standard User pythonz
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 11:41:49
Print Post

I believe their is a difference between a Openreach Network Engineer and a Service Engineer. When do you get to know, what is your job role ? Is the training specific or same for both roles? My orginal application in march 2016 was for a Openreach network engineer but at the assessment the interviewer stated he couldn't tell me which roles I will fill.

Edited by pythonz (Tue 02-May-17 11:43:43)

Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Tue 02-May-17 11:42:26
Print Post

Congrats now the wait really begins
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Tue 02-May-17 11:45:05
Print Post

[re: pythonz] [link to this post]

My contract says I'll be a field engineer well actually it says team member job title trainee engineer following 12 months of training I'll be a field engineer.
Standard User pythonz
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 12:04:22
Print Post

Would be nice to findout from the guy's on training, if they would be able to shed some light on the job roles
(learned) Tue 02-May-17 12:15:18
Print Post

Job role is in the contract tells you where you will be based role in same as you ape team member field engineer
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 02-May-17 12:32:07
Print Post

im arriving sunday at stafford now about 7
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 02-May-17 12:32:29
Print Post

Trainee Engineer then become an Openreach Field Engineer
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 02-May-17 12:33:47
Print Post

My train arrives about 6.30pm Sunday
Standard User pythonz
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 12:50:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hoss28:
Trainee Engineer then become an Openreach Field Engineer

Network and Service Engineer roles are both field based. I will try and dig up job specification of my first application which was for Network Engineer role and I'll compare it with Service Engineers role see if i can spot any obvious differences in both roles.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 13:20:33
Print Post

I get there about 730ish. Think the bloke who booked my tickets said i was the last one arriving. Ypur all at holiday inn too?
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 02-May-17 14:07:17
Print Post

yeah he said extra night at the original hotel. he said something about £20 allowance for food. dunno if we claim that or its prepaid
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 15:37:37
Print Post

Is your train only to Stafford? My original tickets were to Stone but this has changed now, apparently being picked up from Stafford train station
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 15:46:56
Print Post

[re: JimbooSWE] [link to this post]

Any tips on questions got to do it by the 4may
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 02-May-17 15:50:10
Print Post

focus on h&s and customer focus
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 02-May-17 15:50:30
Print Post

same here
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 16:16:20
Print Post

Random question I know but I'm really interested to know. When you pick the van up is it fully kitted out with tools etc. And what do you get if so? all the important questions I know
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Tue 02-May-17 16:33:45
Print Post

I'm interested too but I wont know till the 22nd I'd love to know what kit you get both in the van and not in the van. I get that there is a lot of it so I am now trying to find bigger bags than I currently have but yeah I'm with you tell us what goodies we get someone please.... smile
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 02-May-17 16:55:13
Print Post

What time does your train arrive?
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 16:59:05
Print Post

19:01 it arrives in Stafford mate.
Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Tue 02-May-17 17:29:01
Print Post

Less than 2 weeks for me now although not as long as some it's been a long time coming and I cannot wait
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 17:31:37
Print Post

I'm also arriving Sunday, 6:40 pm I arrive.

Wonder if we will all be picked up together, as in 1st to arrive will need to wait on the last person arriving?
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 02-May-17 17:33:17
Print Post

same train as me
Standard User MC31
(member) Tue 02-May-17 17:36:21
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

When the trackers were first fitted we were told it was ok to move the van so could move stuff in or out of your hume.One guy did say he would then have to go down a oneway st and arould the block to get the van back to his house , he was told this would be ok just dont take the mick.If not sure ask your manger via e-mail and make sure you keep a copy ( ie send it to your own e-mail)

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 17:53:47
Print Post

If you see a ginger guy looking lost and confused, that'll be me.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 19:06:13
Print Post

Could be me aswell mind haha
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 19:08:11
Print Post

The guy said id be last to get there at around 19.30ish and said may have to get my own way there taxi etc think there could be a bus on return for all the earlier arrivals
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Tue 02-May-17 19:20:53
Print Post

Where are you travelling from?I'm getting train from Berwick at 1.35pm
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Tue 02-May-17 19:24:47
Print Post

Ah sound mate, aye he said something about bus. Won't be long now!
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 19:35:04
Print Post

There's a YouTube video that will give you a ruff idea what in the van.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZlyIEOU4n4

Also check out "my mate vince" videos on there to gain a little technical knowledge
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 20:21:20
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

Was the van kitted out when you collected it? Also drill batteries do they charge in the van or do you do it at home at night etc?
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 20:42:41
Print Post

Train from milford in pembrokeshire wales at 13:18. Arrive about 730
Standard User BboyDarren
(newbie) Tue 02-May-17 22:47:38
Print Post

Hi everyone

Anyone starting 5th June?

I passed my assessment in October last year in Exeter and got my start date in April. Completed everything, now just waiting for the final details.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 02-May-17 23:14:25
Print Post

if you see a 6ft bloke with brown hair that looks like hes sweating about the harness weight limit thats me lol
(member) Wed 03-May-17 07:22:28
Print Post

If you're that worried about the harness weight I suggest you don't fall off! Lol
(member) Wed 03-May-17 08:51:52
Print Post

How close to your departure date did you get the travel arrangements call?
Standard User hendaz1984
(learned) Wed 03-May-17 12:58:47
Print Post

2 weeks buddy!

Starting on the 8th May, train on the Sunday before from Newcastle.

See you all there
Standard User BothLegsDis
(regular) Wed 03-May-17 13:04:35
Print Post

[re: hendaz1984] [link to this post]

How long before start do you get mail with managers details...etc
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Wed 03-May-17 13:18:24
Print Post

Probably be in same trains as you??leaving Berwick at 1.35pm
Standard User hendaz1984
(learned) Wed 03-May-17 13:37:40
Print Post

I think so mate, I was 14:55 from Newcastle. Where are you staying? I'm at the Great Western
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Wed 03-May-17 15:25:35
Print Post

Holiday Inn
Standard User Dslammer
(learned) Wed 03-May-17 17:35:10
Print Post

Has anyone starting on 22nd May 2017 had any train tickets through?
Standard User ShavedApe
(learned) Wed 03-May-17 17:43:03
Print Post

[re: Dslammer] [link to this post]

No not yet I did contact the guy that sent me my extra tasks to check everything was ok since I haven't heard anything since then and that was 12th April and he replied today to say all tasks completed and my DS certificate has been received. So I will be contacted 1 - 2 weeks before my start date so I guess not long now.
(learned) Wed 03-May-17 17:53:56
Print Post

Not been contacted about tickets yet next few days no doubt
Standard User Nrfk24
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 17:55:29
Print Post

Looking for some help here.

I have recently been offered an Assessment Centre date within the next couple of weeks, my question is regarding the Colour Blind Test.

Is this done via matching wires or Ishihara Plates? If it's the latter and you fail do they test via a secondary method or is it curtains?
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Wed 03-May-17 17:57:50
Print Post

I got the call on the Monday 2 weeks before my start date mate
Standard User MC31
(member) Wed 03-May-17 18:00:44
Print Post

I have been on years so dont know how you get your kit . As for charging drill batteries you are ment to do it at home but most guys do it at a punters or at a exch.Most other kit you can charge in the van.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 18:26:12
Print Post

Bi just to let you know I did the video interview today at2pm and just got an email to say I passed and considering me for an assessment god how long do I wait lol
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 18:31:20
Print Post

[re: Nrfk24] [link to this post]

Colour Bind test is done by finding pairs in a bunch of cables.
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 20:13:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nrfk24:
Looking for some help here.

I have recently been offered an Assessment Centre date within the next couple of weeks, my question is regarding the Colour Blind Test.

Is this done via matching wires or Ishihara Plates? If it's the latter and you fail do they test via a secondary method or is it curtains?

When you finish your plug test he will hold some wires out that are tangled together and he wil just say point to the red and blue then green and yellow for example,i only got asked for 2.theres no way to test for that but you can type into google colour blind test but it will ask you to make out the numbers hidden in the dots but its nothing that complex
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 20:19:12
Print Post

Bi just to let you know I did the video interview today at2pm and just got an email to say I passed and considering me for an assessment god how long do I wait lol

wow that was quick,i did my video interview then had to wait around 5 days before being told i was being considered,then around another 3/4 days before i was offered an assesment date.i do no someone that didnt even get the being considered email so there is a fillter process for sure.
Standard User Nrfk24
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 20:38:19
Print Post

That's good to hear, yeah you mean the ishihara test. So it was nothing more complex than pointing out certain coloured wires?
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Wed 03-May-17 20:44:53
Print Post

Took around 2-3 days for me I think then another day for an email detailing when my assessment would be. Definitely varies though some people waited a lot longer than I did some quicker.
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 20:45:40
Print Post

No and he tells you not to rush but if you are not colour blind they stand out easy if you are you cant see them and they look like 1 colour
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Wed 03-May-17 20:48:25
Print Post

Yeah that was exactly it point out pairs of wires in specified colours. I actually got one of mine wrong but fortunately realised and corrected my error.
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 20:57:10
Print Post

Thanks for all the advice really helped I did mention that iam passionate about broadband and fixing problems in the email it said if there other roles that be considered for I will update soon as here
(member) Wed 03-May-17 21:13:53
Print Post

[re: BothLegsDis] [link to this post]

You get mangers details when the checks are done got mine Thursday of last week my start date is 15th still haven't heard from them ref travel arrangements!
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 21:19:15
Print Post

Me too mate,i wear a harness every day and there is a SWL on it but people who wear it arent allways in that,its a limit so if it went snap and you was over the limit you would be liable,they are rigorously tested to way more than there limit,im hoping its just an insurance thing and they shouldnt weigh you its just advisory like anything else thats used for lifting or carrying something.Im waiting for someone to put on about the pole training as no one seems to have done it yet on here.
Standard User Kirky89
(regular) Wed 03-May-17 21:23:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Firsttwodie:
You get mangers details when the checks are done got mine Thursday of last week my start date is 15th still haven't heard from them ref travel arrangements!

I'm starting 15th and haven't had any travel arrangements yet so I wouldn't sweat it. Sure they'll get round to us in time
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 21:23:06
Print Post

i start 15th aswell,not heard anything from manager of where i will be based,but my mate who starts on 8th got an email with his managers details and his 12 week training matrix exactly a week before so he got his last friday because of the bank holiday so we should get it all next monday.He got a phone call regarding his travel arrangements as he has to stay in hotel and getting a hire car as theres someone in same village but all managers details were emailed.
Standard User Gav_89
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 22:54:01
Print Post

Hey all, been lurking in the shadows watching this forum for a couple of months now! - been a great help and great to get an insight from those in the same boat and those recently started. I too start on 15th may (Assessment 4th April in Norwich) I got managers details and confirmation of first checks passed a couple of weeks ago now, no further info regarding training etc since then, but I'm not too worried yet. - Looking forward to getting started!!

Edited by Gav_89 (Wed 03-May-17 23:19:01)

Standard User allbro75
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 23:49:52
Print Post

[re: Gav_89] [link to this post]

Quite a few of us on here starting on the 15th, just wonder how many they start at a time?

I've filled out and sent in everything they've asked and still waiting on my DS coming back but still haven't heard anything about travel, accomidation or are I'll be working. Not too concerned as they've been really organised so far with the recruitment process.

Congratulations to everyone on getting the job and look forward to meeting you all on the 15th.
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 12:00:14
Print Post

[re: allbro75] [link to this post]

Disclosure Scotland sent off today now just the 4 week waiting game. Getting excited now though.
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 12:09:44
Print Post

I have three weeks and they just today starting to ask for references, when I gave my references being self employed for a number of years prior to my current job I have no one to supply references for so i told them that and supplied a character reference.
He called me to say they were asking him when I worked for him....

A little worrying since I made it clear he was a character reference. I contacted someone at the new hire team and asked them to make sure the person looking for references is aware of it and he has now done that.

First they don't contact me then they mess with my head asking people the wrong questions lol do they not realise how stressful the waiting game is?
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 13:15:13
Print Post

Anyone else on this conference call today. I dont get how it will work if everyones on the call at the same time? Or is it just individually speaking to him? Anyone had one of these before? Says calls at 5pm today on mine
Standard User hendaz1984
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 13:28:06
Print Post

He will chair the call and we will all dial in, best to go on mute so there is no background noise until you need to speak. He will probably go through some FAQ's then ask if anyone has anything to bring up.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 13:30:12
Print Post

Thats great thanks 🖒
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Thu 04-May-17 13:31:18
Print Post

I'm 5pm as well....we will all be on it at the same time!
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 13:31:55
Print Post

Confrance call ? What's that about ?
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 14:01:10
Print Post

Bit of a shambles really. I quite lucky as you have to give 3 years of employment history and I've work for the same place for the last 10 years. Just hoping my manager doesn't be an [censored] as give me a poor reference as he can be like that and has been known to do it before.
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 15:09:07
Print Post

I'm on it aswell at 5
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 15:58:03
Print Post

All sorted now just had to provide proof of being self employed and now of course hope my manager replies quickly.

Let us know what the conference call was about if you can guys nobody mentioned this in the weeks leading up to their start dates.
Standard User caw99
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 15:59:20
Print Post

How long does it take for a yes or no if you have the job from assessment centre. They said up to 5 days and I'm on the fourth now. All it says is pending feedback when I log in. I take it when day five comes and you've not heard, it's an automated email saying 'you've been unsuccessful?'.
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 16:15:55
Print Post

[re: caw99] [link to this post]

It definitely varies I was on day 4 some have heard on day 1 or 2 couldn't tell you if you get an automated email after day 5 but I do understand how your feeling right now. Keep the faith because they may well just be running behind I assume they are very busy right now.
Standard User caw99
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 16:19:58
Print Post

Hope it's soon, it's killing me not knowing. Been a long wait with it being a bank holiday week as well.
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 16:24:13
Print Post

What proof did they need that you were self employed?
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 16:56:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by caw99:
Hope it's soon, it's killing me not knowing. Been a long wait with it being a bank holiday week as well.

i went for assesment on the wednesday and received a call from anna marie on the friday morning,my mate was assesment monday call on the wednesday but they do state 5 working days,i have read if you dont get a call its a dreaded email but i wouldnt worry just yet,monday was a write off so dont count that and hope you get a call tomorrow.she rings from a mobile number as she is not based in the uk so try not to miss any calls.
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 17:00:53
Print Post

hi swanseajack,how has the second week gone??did you do much practical stuff??was the pole training ok and did you see if anyone got weighed?bet you cant wait to get stuck into it in your local area
(member) Thu 04-May-17 17:07:03
Print Post

hi Gav_89 where are you going to be based and are you likely to be traveling from Norwich?
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 17:09:19
Print Post

did you get an email today regarding your travel arrangements.i received one and a few other lads were tagged in on it to contact john kennedy.i didnt see it until after work so ringing him tomorrow.My mate who starts monday had the same call and it was to tell him that he was getting a hire car instead of the train as there was someone else near him going down so it was easier
(member) Thu 04-May-17 17:27:06
Print Post

Hello buddy, its been okay no practical stuff at all in the first 2 weeks this will all be done at your local training centre apparently, there is a lot of power points and other training classes. we didn't get to do the poles this week hopefully next week! absolutely cant wait to get my hands dirty and get out in the field seems like a really good/interesting job
no one has been weighed as of yet smile
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 04-May-17 17:31:00
Print Post

phew!!
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 17:33:06
Print Post

r u just at yarnfield for 2 weeks then,i know i am then i will be based in my hometown for buddying and rest of my training but my mate who had is classed as a a trainee openreach engineer but then hes in a different department to me annd so has 2 weeks in yarnfield but then he has 2 weeks in peterborough then onto his local area in norwich.I think there are different roles and once you have done your 2 weeks at yarnfield theres different specific training depnding on what you are doing.
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 17:50:40
Print Post

I was told that I would be doing all my training at yarnfield when I got the call to say I got the job.
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 17:51:32
Print Post

Conference call was just confirmation of travel details and hotels etc for starting on Monday, just confirming everyone was happy with the arrangements and to air any concerns.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 04-May-17 18:07:03
Print Post

cant beleive youre staying in yarnfield i live near you and have to go to bolton lol
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 18:14:22
Print Post

I'm only at Yarnfield for two weeks mate, the rest is in Bolton aswell. I wish I was staying at Yarnfield
For the duration, it's on my doorstep pretty much in comparison lol.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 04-May-17 18:15:56
Print Post

you read the email it says youre yarnfield i think
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 04-May-17 18:17:26
Print Post

I may have to swap so i can go sort out my wedding in evenings wink
Standard User pythonz
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 18:29:31
Print Post

i went for assesment on the wednesday and received a call from anna marie on the friday morning,my mate was assesment monday call on the wednesday but they do state 5 working days,i have read if you dont get a call its a dreaded email but i wouldnt worry just yet,monday was a write off so dont count that and hope you get a call tomorrow.she rings from a mobile number as she is not based in the uk so try not to miss any calls.

BT works in mysterious ways lol, You don't always get a call. I didn't get a call but an email within two days of completing my assessment to confirm that i'd passed.

So please don't stress yourself out.,just case of waiting.

Edited by pythonz (Thu 04-May-17 18:32:22)

Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 18:34:02
Print Post

Ahh your right, I hadn't seen that email. That's a mini win for me, it's a half hour commute every day from week 3!
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 04-May-17 19:01:45
Print Post

wouldve been half hr for me too. i live virtually on the a38m to spaghetti junction
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 19:15:00
Print Post

They wanted a tax return, or something along those lines or a customer reference. A letter from your accountant will suffice too.

Edited by ShavedApe (Thu 04-May-17 19:21:52)

Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 19:24:27
Print Post

I've put the RAF down as a ref but I left in 2012, then I have put the other partner in the business too
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 19:38:10
Print Post

That seems a bit odd, mine was originally supposed to be Bolton, no idea why it has changed. Maybe it will again yet.
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 20:02:44
Print Post

Thanks for the info much appreciated good luck for Monday I have a little over 3 weeks left to wait but its nice to know what to expect.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 20:16:40
Print Post

Dont think you can give a bad reference by law now. They can refuse but not give a bad one.

Come on then own up. Who was the heavy breather on that call!? Haha
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 20:20:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bons:
I was told that I would be doing all my training at yarnfield when I got the call to say I got the job.

Im only doing 2 weeks then 6 weeks buddying/training where i live in lincoln,i have read some people are doing 10 weeks in yarnfield i think it all depends on what training facilities/staff members they have in your exchange,i was told i needed to go to yarnfield to get all the kit and do all the paperwork and stuff which is pretty much the first 2 weeks thats generic accross the company then straight in with a buddy,but as i said my mate starts a week before me but lives in norwich and has to do a fortninght at yarnfield then a fortnight in peterborough,in digs.
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 20:29:13
Print Post

Dont think you can give a bad reference by law now. They can refuse but not give a bad one.

Come on then own up. Who was the heavy breather on that call!? Haha

My missus is an administration manager and has to do references all the time,most companys now will just ask to score out of 10,timekeeping,attendance,attitude to work etc but they usually ask would you employ this person again so they can say no and why if they want to but unless you have stormed out,chinning the manager and smashing up his new jag,you should be ok
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 04-May-17 20:30:26
Print Post

not quite true. you can give any reference you want as long as you are willing to stand by your words in court for possible defamation.
Standard User gouledw
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 20:50:15
Print Post

Bearing in mind I joined BT when I was 17, my reference was my old headteacher. Now I know that probably doesn't have any relevance to any of you but usually as long as it is someone who knows you for a period of time in connection for something outside personal stuff then they should be alright with the reference. They cannot penalise you for being self employed.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Thu 04-May-17 20:54:24
Print Post

My last employer only had contact today for a reference....and I start Monday!!lol
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Thu 04-May-17 20:54:30
Print Post

my reference was my research degree supervisor as i have only been in full time uni since leaving the army in 08. I didnt think he liked me lol
Standard User Gav_89
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 20:59:54
Print Post

Based in Stowmarket, which is where I live so I'll be traveling from here ☺
Standard User Gav_89
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 21:01:45
Print Post

Didn't get an email re travel arrangements, but I did miss a call. Going to call back in the morning to what's occuring!
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 21:22:20
Print Post

Had an email just reconfiming everything really. Got a list of whos who and where you'll be going for next round of training after yarnfield etc
(member) Thu 04-May-17 21:46:56
Print Post

I missed the call too!
(learned) Thu 04-May-17 21:48:29
Print Post

Had an email just reconfiming everything really. Got a list of whos who and where you'll be going for next round of training after yarnfield etc

I just had an email with the title travel arangements and to give john kennedy a call tomorrow just to confirm whether i will be going on train or hire car i think.
(member) Thu 04-May-17 21:51:19
Print Post

That's not a problem to them usual wording is "the position is offered subject to suitable security and reference checks" so they don't have to have the reference before your start date. My current employer told me after 6 months that my checks were complete. But that was subject to higher security checks than the Disclosure Scotland!
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Thu 04-May-17 21:54:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bons:

Im only doing 2 weeks then 6 weeks buddying/training where i live in lincoln,i have read some people are doing 10 weeks in yarnfield i think it all depends on what training facilities/staff members they have in your exchange,i was told i needed to go to yarnfield to get all the kit and do all the paperwork and stuff which is pretty much the first 2 weeks thats generic accross the company then straight in with a buddy,but as i said my mate starts a week before me but lives in norwich and has to do a fortninght at yarnfield then a fortnight in peterborough,in digs.

Its OK when I find out for sure I might just book myself into a hotel for the weekends to have a holiday from the wife lol.
Standard User caw99
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 10:24:03
Print Post

Boom, day 5 has come and so as the job offer. Buzzing, start 19th June.
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 10:34:13
Print Post

62 an a quarter hours left to work in my current job not that I'm counting or anything lol
Standard User hendaz1984
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 10:52:28
Print Post

2 hours until I leave smile
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 11:06:52
Print Post

Mines sadly stretched over 2 weeks lol
Standard User Kirky89
(regular) Fri 05-May-17 12:02:21
Print Post

Got the travel arrangements call yesterday morning just waiting for training schedule email today. start 15th may getting very close now
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 12:46:49
Print Post

Does anyone know anything about the Bolton training centre. I went to ask at my local exchange today and the guy I spoke to there had never heard of it
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Fri 05-May-17 15:37:07
Print Post

I'm interested in this too I live near bolton and I can't find anything not even an address.

I got an email today saying their initial checks where done, confirming my start date and giving me my UIN. Starting to feel real now smile
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Fri 05-May-17 15:45:22
Print Post

Congrats feels good don't it? Now the real waiting starts they don't contact you much to let you know what's going on but it does seem to progress in the background all the same.
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 16:11:25
Print Post

I jumped on an openreach engineer earlier. Managed to interrogate him, there is a bt fleet site there takes some googling mind
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 19:41:42
Print Post

just monday and tuesday for me then its bye bye construction!!!got the call from john kennedy today in edinburgh,train booked for the 14th,4 hours and 3 changes but not bothered now,cant wait to get started..
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 19:44:11
Print Post

Boom, day 5 has come and so as the job offer. Buzzing, start 19th June.

See told you to hang on,nice one its a relief to hear the call for sure,i had an email first saying would i call anna marie regarding my assesment and thought it may be a let down phone call that she didnt want to email but it wasnt in the end,
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 19:45:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kirky89:
Got the travel arrangements call yesterday morning just waiting for training schedule email today. start 15th may getting very close now

Me too looks like im doing 2 weeks in yarnfield then rest at home
Standard User JoshSutts
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 20:36:42
Print Post

Hi guys,

Just got confirmation of an assessment centre in Leeds on the 16th.. just wondering if you have any pointers/advice that could be useful.

I've had previous experiences with assessments centres and interviews etc just wanting a heads up.

Really hope I get the job!
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 20:52:25
Print Post

[re: JoshSutts] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JoshSutts:
Hi guys,

Just got confirmation of an assessment centre in Leeds on the 16th.. just wondering if you have any pointers/advice that could be useful.

I've had previous experiences with assessments centres and interviews etc just wanting a heads up.

Really hope I get the job!

first of all theres no parking whatsover as its just on a main road surrounded by offices and hotels,but there are a few multi stories near it but it will cost between £12 and £17 pound for the time you are there.Its quite relaxed,get there take a seast fill in a form and have photo taken,then go in and a bloke called callum will talk you through the process and about bt,then go off into groups where you will do a maths and english test on a laptop,questions start of easy and get harder to determine where you are on the spectrum,be aware you dont know how many questions there are you just keep have to keep going until it says finished,i was last out the room in mine but you are all staggered and some have more questions than others if you keep going up a bit higher so dont worry if your left in.you will also do the changing a plug test,its all on a sheet how to do it but make sure you put on safety glasses and you wont get it perfect like the picture it would take ages,its about following procedure rather than being a sparky,quick colour blind test where you have to pick out the colour wires he says,the young lad who does this is well laid back and a sound lad.Theres then 2 interviews,you will be collected by a manager than led up to an interview room,which seems to take forever,no point telling you questions as they tailor then to your answers,all i can say is tell the truth,dont hesitate or give them an answer you think is being clever and then not being able to back it up when they focus on that.Just chill out and be yourself,it flies by and before you know it 4 1/2 hours have gone,we had these 2 apprentices that had been there around 2 years and they will asnwer the questions you might not want to ask in front of the full room with the managers there.good luck,apparantley we were the first assesments this year on april 19th and there are 1500 jobs going so he says theres pretty much a job for everyone at this time of the year so your not really battling it out with the other 14 for 1 spot,so just do your best.good luck hope this helps
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 21:23:31
Print Post

also as a footnote,read this forum from page 1 its good some really good information on it and i dont know how all these other people came accross it,i stumbled upon it whilst trying to google some bt stuff but its the best thing i did as answered a lot of questions bt havent really got time to tell everyone.I start on 15th and going to do a day by day post for others waiting to go to yarnfield
Standard User SC999
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 21:39:03
Print Post

Just had email today for me to complete my tasks.
Everything seemed to fill in ok until I got to the references part where it wouldn't submit? Has anyone else had any problems with this part?

Also I had my picture taken on the assessment day but it's asking me to supply a passport size photo. Just wondering what the other guys have done before I get another mug shot taken!
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 21:53:46
Print Post

[re: SC999] [link to this post]

I just stood in front of a wall got the wife to take a photo then resized of the machine and sent off.

Note was a plain white wall don't think the will accept if ifs got stuff in the background
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Fri 05-May-17 22:04:44
Print Post

There are more tasks to come, I had no issues with filling the references but it did say I hadn't completed them all for a while even though I had. Cant remember how i fixed it though. You will get an email at some point with more tasks like clothing sizes and driving licence check.
That email and the first tasks both asked for a photo. I just sent them another I have feeling the one at the assessment may have been used to help the assessors remember who we where.

Edited by ShavedApe (Fri 05-May-17 22:09:04)

Standard User JoshSutts
(newbie) Fri 05-May-17 22:07:46
Print Post

Thanks mate, really helpful tips there.

I've had a nosey of this forum and found some really useful stuff!

Fingers crossed everything goes all well, and I hope they let me have a September start as I'm being made redundant and cant leave until then!

Best thing being if all goes well is a van!
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Fri 05-May-17 23:05:51
Print Post

Anyone know how soon they contact your employer once you've given them your references ?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-May-17 01:18:25
Print Post

There's a 1940's film about belts, that shows them testing a belt to 600lbs, or over 250kg.
http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/BTsHistory/BTfilmarchi...

It might still be a requirement to wear a bowler while dressing your belt wink
(member) Sat 06-May-17 08:06:18
Print Post

[re: Dippa] [link to this post]

Your references are usually contacted within a couple of days of submitting them so be prepared if it's going to upset your employer.

I've just had my travel areangements this could be different for some but it would appear the training is over a 12 week period mine is a follows but yours may vary

Weeks

1-2 Yarnfield Park Stone
3 local training facility
4 local Buddying
5-6 local training facility
7 local Buddying
8 local training facility
9-12 local Buddying with you going solo Wednesday of week 12
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Sat 06-May-17 08:09:02
Print Post

I start 22nd May they contacted my employer on Thursday of this week so roughly 2 weeks before for me but I think like other things it most likely varies as others have said they can do it within a couple of days of you submitting them. They have had mine for around 2 or 3 weeks before they requested them.

Edited by ShavedApe (Sat 06-May-17 08:10:54)

Standard User SC999
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 08:48:32
Print Post

All sorted. My laptop didn't allow me to fill in the addresses of my references etc. Managed to sort it on the iPad. All the best to those who are starting in the next couple of weeks. Any feedback you can post on here would be much appreciated. I've got around 10 weeks to wait until I start. Looking forward to it.
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 10:21:52
Print Post

Thanks @Firsttwodie & Shavedape smile

What did you guys put for your reference name ? HR will be dealing with my reference so unsure what name to put tbh :/

Edited by Dippa (Sat 06-May-17 10:22:57)

(learned) Sat 06-May-17 11:51:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Dippa:
Anyone know how soon they contact your employer once you've given them your references ?

Im starting on the 15th and finish with my current employer on the 9th and they havent been contacted yet,it states on the contract that it is only legally binding subject to satisfactory references or something along those lines which means you could start before they recieve your references but then they could retract your contract in extreme circumstances if they wanted to,but dont worry about the refernces just get all the other bits sent off on your portal,they will chase anything else they need
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 11:54:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by SC999:
Just had email today for me to complete my tasks.
Everything seemed to fill in ok until I got to the references part where it wouldn't submit? Has anyone else had any problems with this part?

Also I had my picture taken on the assessment day but it's asking me to supply a passport size photo. Just wondering what the other guys have done before I get another mug shot taken!

Photo there was just for the assesment centre security so they know who you are,you will be asked to send a photo by email for your smart card which you need to enter buildings and put in your laptop,i just got the missus to take one on my phone from shoulders up and sent that.
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 11:56:02
Print Post

Thanks mate, really helpful tips there.

I've had a nosey of this forum and found some really useful stuff!

Fingers crossed everything goes all well, and I hope they let me have a September start as I'm being made redundant and cant leave until then!

yea top of the range transit custom with bluetooth heated seats auto lights the lot and all kitted out with gear in the back aswell
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 12:00:12
Print Post

Thanks @Firsttwodie & Shavedape smile

What did you guys put for your reference name ? HR will be dealing with my reference so unsure what name to put tbh :/

Your allways best to put the person you deal with the most so supervisor or manger and have their name on it,a works email address is best so they can do it direct.might take a bit more time if HR deal with it as they will pass it on,also they may just do it off your sickness,attendance and that so its allways best to put on someone who knows you personally at work
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 13:18:03
Print Post

Sound for the reply mate. My company will push it towards HR regardless and by law they can't put anything negative smile

I believe most references are just stating we've worked from start to finish dates, pointless if you ask me lol

I'll put my line managers name though, if that doesn't work I'm sure they'll resolve it there end lol

I start 31st July, was told last month so a long summer for me!

When did you have your assessment ?
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 13:34:56
Print Post

19th april in leeds and start yarnfield on 15th may.its all done on geographical needs for trainees and if they have the buddies in place so i know a lad who did his assesment in november last year but doesnt start yarnfield until monday
Standard User BboyDarren
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 15:18:47
Print Post

Wow, that's amazing, good luck.

I'm from Leeds originally, but in Somerset now.

I did my assessment in October 2016 and my start date is 5 June - longest wait of my life! Was unemployed for a bit, now in retail, can't wait to start.

Hoping to hear more about my training / travel soon.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-May-17 15:37:25
Print Post

Judging by what has been said so far in this thread, the only things you can use the van for are driving from home to your first task of the day, driving between tasks, driving home after the last task of the day and incidental personal use during the work day (such as stopping at a convenience store during a break). The vans have trackers and any other use will likely be questioned.

If your excitement is that you don't need another vehicle to get to work, great. Beyond that, you need to use a personal vehicle.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 16:49:07
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Judging by what has been said so far in this thread, the only things you can use the van for are driving from home to your first task of the day, driving between tasks, driving home after the last task of the day and incidental personal use during the work day (such as stopping at a convenience store during a break). The vans have trackers and any other use will likely be questioned.

If your excitement is that you don't need another vehicle to get to work, great. Beyond that, you need to use a personal vehicle.

Talking to other lads i know who have a van,they are very strict on usage not for work,it will be the same as any other company,they probably let it go over the years but a minority would have spoilt it by going on hoiliday in it and trips away.All mileage can be looked at on the tracker but ive heard its all on your manager and how strict he is,Dont sell your car!!!we are going down to 1 so ive still got missus car if needed but will get rid of mine as its a work runaround so on way out anyway.
Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Sat 06-May-17 19:52:48
Print Post

Yeah I must admit I'm also looking forward to the prospect of a nice new van but to second what's already been said I had a lad from OR at my house on Thursday due to a fault since last year and he was giving me a bit of info about the job and said "It's a great job so long as you keep your head down". He specifically mentioned misuse of the van and that a lad was almost sacked for using it for the school run once however due to his record being clean and him being a really good engineer he was just served a warning. I'm sure you can stop at a shop to get something on your break providing it isn't too far off your route.

I too am ditching 1 of our 2 cars as I only really rely on a car at the minute to get to and from work so looking forward to the cost savings in the long run once the salary increases

Also the lad mentioned that he doesn't get a list of jobs at the start of the day as he was getting stressed about if he would get them all done and he literally gets a job sent through as soon as he completes each job. Don't know if that's specific to his needs and if he has forfeited the bonus or something to do that but sounds like they are quite accommodating !
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sat 06-May-17 22:04:21
Print Post

only 20 hrs to go till im on the train now cant wait
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sat 06-May-17 22:41:19
Print Post

15 hours for me!
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sat 06-May-17 22:47:25
Print Post

wish i could take my car as i only live 35 mins away. will take longer from the hotel every morning in the minibus. sadly i cant leave it there when i get the van.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Sat 06-May-17 23:15:58
Print Post

Same as getting nervous now hahaha
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sat 06-May-17 23:46:48
Print Post

im not going to sleep lol
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 00:16:27
Print Post

For some reason I've been bricking it all day. Turned to excitement now though lol. Due to arrive in Stafford around 7pm.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sun 07-May-17 00:37:20
Print Post

think im on your train
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 08:34:46
Print Post

Hi, I posted in Part 7 of this thread asking for help for my assessment day, well its been a week and a bit now since the day, and due to the bank holiday weekend last week I didnt hear anything till tuesday, phone rang at 13:00 telling me I had got the job and training starts on the 3rd July.
I just wanted to ask a few things regarding training if anyone knows anything about it or has been on the course..
Sorry, lots of questions here lol.

Do BT pay for a train ticket down there? and what happens at the weekends? can you go off and come back for the sunday night ready for monday? and with regards to the van, if you drive down what happens with the van because you'd have to drive the car back and would you go back for the van? Finally, the rooms.. I heard the rooms at Yarnfield are like going back to the early 80's? and do you share rooms as I again heard you do..

Thanks!

Edited by JamesC1999 (Sun 07-May-17 08:36:02)

Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Sun 07-May-17 09:14:02
Print Post

[re: JamesC1999] [link to this post]

First off Congrats on getting the job !! Painful wait by the sounds of it but I applied in January 2016 and don't start till the 3rd July. Damn holiday booked next month or I'd have been going down today.

Where about you from ? I'm traveling down from Newcastle.

As for the travel I believe BT will call 2 weeks before to arrange train travel, or a hire car if reqd. They will pay for it and sent the tickets out in the post. From what I have read you won't be driving down yourself as your issued with the van on the first Friday morning.
Not too sure about the rooms I have heard they had been renovating them but from what others are saying we could be put up in a hotel anyways.
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 09:27:50
Print Post

Im there for about 7:30 still nervous atm until im on train.

Anyone else fed up already of everyone they meet and tell them about the job replying "hey i know where to come to get free internet" hahaha
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 09:41:51
Print Post

Hi,
I also start on the 3rd of July..
I'm from Leeds, I had my assessment at South Shields on the 27th April..
I also applied in January but this year mine was.

A hotel would be ideal, so long as its local or BT arrange some sort of bus or something

Edited by JamesC1999 (Sun 07-May-17 09:43:38)

Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 10:37:46
Print Post

From what the guys who have already started in last few weeks have been saying. All travel is paid for as are your meals. You pick up your van on Friday and travel home and then use your van to get to and from training thereafter.
If you are put up in a hotel instead of Yarnfield a bus will take you to and from the hotel the first week at least.
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 10:44:13
Print Post

Thanks for the clarification.. Do you stay at the training centre at Weekends?
Standard User MC31
(member) Sun 07-May-17 11:31:23
Print Post

"Also the lad mentioned that he doesn't get a list of jobs at the start of the day as he was getting stressed about if he would get them all done and he literally gets a job sent through as soon as he completes each job."

Lots of guys get one job at a time , its the way i like to work .

(regular) Sun 07-May-17 11:34:42
Print Post

Yeah it means its possible to pick up assists for people which doesn't happen when you always have tours
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 12:18:19
Print Post

Quick question - do they ask about pre booked holidays at the asssessment day?

I'm just worried I might be turned down later on because of holidays and possible difficulties fitting the training in

I've got an assessment on the 16th but holidays in July and end of September
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 12:56:28
Print Post

Hi, I had my assessment on the 27 April, got the job aswell..
They asked me if I had any holidays booked on the assessment day, as well as on the phone when I got the call to say I had the job.
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 13:20:34
Print Post

When they call you with your start date they ask about holidays then
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 14:04:27
Print Post

Thanks for the replies smile should be fine then
Standard User Beanydc
(newbie) Sun 07-May-17 14:54:27
Print Post

No mate pick van up on the friday and head home. Back to yarnfield on sunday night then.

Im on the train heading to my first week of training right now
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 14:55:35
Print Post

No you travel home at weekends and in the evenings if your at a local training facility
Standard User Johnsmic
(regular) Sun 07-May-17 16:30:25
Print Post

Finally all packed up and ready to go. This 2.5hrs till my train is going to drag bad lol.
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Sun 07-May-17 18:10:58
Print Post

ive ditched my free ticket and upgraded to first class for the trip.
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 14:02:57
Print Post

hi just got an email invite to assessment on the 23 may in Cardiff any one else going? what's the failure rate any one know?

Edited by martthefart1111 (Mon 08-May-17 14:05:47)

(learned) Mon 08-May-17 19:05:34
Print Post

hi just got an email invite to assessment on the 23 may in Cardiff any one else going? what's the failure rate any one know?

Dont even think of the failure rate mate theres 1500 jobs this year and only 15 of you at a time,i went in april and it was the firast one of the year so unless you go july/august time for assesment theres plenty of jobs to go around,they tell you there that theres a job for all 15 of you if you do everything that is asked and as long as you dont totally balls up the interviews you will be fine,theres no pass/fail on the other bits.
(learned) Mon 08-May-17 19:10:42
Print Post

how was the first day mate?r u staying at yarnfield or hotel?im starting next monday and cant wait seems to have took forever,i believe first week is all getting kit and paperwork isnt it?
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 19:24:03
Print Post

brilliant any inside tips you can pass on lol
(learned) Mon 08-May-17 19:32:10
Print Post

just be yourself mate,theyre not trying to trip u up in interviews just want to get to know you and how you would cope with certain situations.Make sure you put your safety glasses on in the plug test they will be watching you and dont spend ages trying to get your plug like the example,u wont b able to and will waste time,its all about following instructions on the card rather than getting the perfect plug.dont panic on the maths and english tests you just keep going until it says finish so u dont know how many questions there are just that theres a time limit of 40 minutes some of my group finished really early but i was last and nearly went up to the 40 minutes everyone is staggered.Thats about it,
(learned) Mon 08-May-17 19:42:10
Print Post

i dont think they like to split the training if you have 1 or 2 weeks holidays booked as they have to plan it all into a concentrated 12 week period.They tell you not to get ahead of yourself so no need to mention holidays on the assesment,we didnt get asked at all as they say dont mention any notice or hols until u get the nod. i have heard that lads who were on holiday have been given a later start date but remember they wont go massively out of the way,i was asked if i had anythign booked for 12 weeks from my start date and if not to keep it free i think the odd day is ok but if u get through u might wanna think about asking for 2 lots of time off in ur 12 weeks,its a hard situation but i personally didnt book anything as soon as i got through to video interview just in case,its not as easy if u booked last year,but personally i wouldnt sweat it as its just another thing to worry about when u go for assesment,keep ur mind clear and if u get through u will b asked.
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Mon 08-May-17 20:02:55
Print Post

How are they locating people for their job role ?

I was given my location, which is about 22 miles away and will take 30 mins without traffic each day! 45 to 60 mins with traffic!!

My mate who applied the same time has just been given his location, which is 9 miles away and will take 15 mins, 20 with traffic!!

What the hell lol Any ideas
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 20:17:55
Print Post

I have been posted in my local area work from my local exchange. Really don't know how it's done but there were 3 people from my area at the Assessment day but guess it's done on what areas there is a demand

Edited by Bons (Mon 08-May-17 20:18:56)

(learned) Mon 08-May-17 20:51:27
Print Post

As bons said its where they need trainees,i will be 10 mile away from my exchange but its about 30 mins due to traffic in morning,but remember once u r up and running u will get ur job list so wont be going to exchange everyday,if u r going to b parking at hiome they expect u to travel up to 60 mins in ur own time anyway to get to first job so if u r going to exchange or going out to job,ur prob gonna b giving up near enough the same time wherever ur based
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Mon 08-May-17 21:07:26
Print Post

Meaning my mate gets to lounge in bed longer than me because I need the full 60 mins travel... bummer lol
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 21:59:08
Print Post

brilliant thank you very much for your help will update when I get news
Standard User MohammadAli
(newbie) Mon 08-May-17 22:08:03
Print Post

Good Evening All

What a Thread,just read it all .lot to take in Folks.
I too willl be starting in July.
Had the Assessment In Birmingham Few weeks Back.
Can't Wait To Start.
Look forward to seeing some of you soon and working with you.
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Mon 08-May-17 23:35:48
Print Post

[re: MohammadAli] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MohammadAli:
Good Evening All

Can't Wait To Start.

I also had my assessment in Birmingham and start in July. What date exactly are you starting ?
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 00:15:57
Print Post

Good Evening All

Can't Wait To Start.

I also had my assessment in Birmingham and start in July. What date exactly are you starting ?

It's the 31ST July Mate.
Was your assessment On the 20TH April 08:30AM One. Mate.
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 08:07:09
Print Post

Yeah mine is 35 mins away but likely to be 60 or more with city centre traffic but the exchange I applied for is only 10- 15 mins away maybe 25 with traffic and there are two other exchanges I know of within 10 minutes drive.
Standard User Tvwize86
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 09:04:28
Print Post

Well got the email on Monday that ive got my assessment in Leeds on the 16th as well!
The next week for me is going to be doing a lot of reading up me thinks!

feeling nervous allready! lol
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 09:55:36
Print Post

[re: Tvwize86] [link to this post]

Just got a phone call for my travel details smile Heading down to Yarnfield(Stone) May 21st 17:34 from Bolton arriving at 19:07, picked up and taken to Yarnfield park from there.

I'll be doing 2 weeks at Yarnfield he never confirmed where I will train after that but they did originally say Bolton and since I live near Bolton that makes sense but he said that would be detailed to me more when I'm there.

He also confirmed we get our vehicle at the end of the first week and he said Monday is smart casual (jeans and t-shirt is ok).

No food available on the Sunday evening except soup in the bar area until 9.

Does look like I will at least be staying in Yarnfield park instead of a local Hotel like I know some have been doing recently.

Oh he also said letters confirming all this will be sent out by Friday once hes spoken to everyone he needs to.
Definitely starting to feel like its happening now guys laugh

Edited by ShavedApe (Tue 09-May-17 10:33:35)

Standard User jordanglb
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 13:39:12
Print Post

Good stuff shaved ape. I'll see you there buddy. Also 22nd start and Bolton.
(learned) Tue 09-May-17 17:04:54
Print Post

Just got my final instructions emailed today,6 weeks at yarnfield which i wasnt hoping for to be honest but hey ho and 6 weeks local.Finished work today,5 days chilling and doing bits round the house then its down to yarnfield on sunday and it all starts a new chapter.cant wait now.
(learned) Tue 09-May-17 17:07:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by ShavedApe:
Just got a phone call for my travel details smile Heading down to Yarnfield(Stone) May 21st 17:34 from Bolton arriving at 19:07, picked up and taken to Yarnfield park from there.

I'll be doing 2 weeks at Yarnfield he never confirmed where I will train after that but they did originally say Bolton and since I live near Bolton that makes sense but he said that would be detailed to me more when I'm there.

He also confirmed we get our vehicle at the end of the first week and he said Monday is smart casual (jeans and t-shirt is ok).

No food available on the Sunday evening except soup in the bar area until 9.

Does look like I will at least be staying in Yarnfield park instead of a local Hotel like I know some have been doing recently.

Oh he also said letters confirming all this will be sent out by Friday once hes spoken to everyone he needs to.
Definitely starting to feel like its happening now guys laugh

You will have been given a training matrix by now with first 12 weeks layed out for you,if not you will get it soon and then a few days before you go so prob next week you will get an email saying what training centre you are at after the first 2 weeks,wherever the matrix states training in yellow thats where you will be going so im at yarnfield for weeks 1,2,3,5,6,and 8,and local for other weeks.

Edited by lincsboy1979 (Tue 09-May-17 17:09:32)

(learned) Tue 09-May-17 17:25:12
Print Post

Hi mate did you get an email today regarding your training centre,its all a bit confusing as mine says training at yarnfield but im not sure if that means th whole 12 weeks,i emailed the guy i got message from but he wasnt very helpful and just said our system says you are doing your training in yarnfield and when i said does that mean the weeks where it says buddyin he just said i will explain in conference call on thursday.i was told i would only be doing 2 weeks in yarnfield then rest of training more local so not very happy about that as yarnfield is miles away and theres centres closer to me,its strange how its sorted out.
(learned) Tue 09-May-17 17:28:51
Print Post

anyone else whos starting on the 15th receive their training centre email of where they will carry out rest of training???
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 18:03:34
Print Post

Thanks for the info I hope Im not going to be in Yarnfield for all of it that will not go down well at home
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 18:12:23
Print Post

well i wasnt expected it to be honest and its 100 mile from my house but theres one 40 mile away so i dont know how they work it out,theres 1 in scotland,middlesborough,peterborough,bradford,bolton,croydon,southampton and ilford so you will be in one of those if not back to yarnfield.Looks like im there for 6 weeks of the 12 but have this conference call with 8 others on thursday with the bloke who sorts it so will find out then.Still happy though as its a new career with decent benefits but just wasnt expecting that.
Standard User Kirky89
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 18:43:14
Print Post

Hi mate did you get an email today regarding your training centre,its all a bit confusing as mine says training at yarnfield but im not sure if that means th whole 12 weeks,i emailed the guy i got message from but he wasnt very helpful and just said our system says you are doing your training in yarnfield and when i said does that mean the weeks where it says buddyin he just said i will explain in conference call on thursday.i was told i would only be doing 2 weeks in yarnfield then rest of training more local so not very happy about that as yarnfield is miles away and theres centres closer to me,its strange how its sorted out.

Hi mate yes I got a few emails today, my training from week 3 will be in Southampton (nursling) did you get the week 3 email because I'm guessing that's basically where you'll be for the rest of your training after the 2 week induction. If you didn't get it PM me your name and I can have a look through the email.
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 19:03:29
Print Post

yea looks like all my training is in yarnfield as thats what it said,i didnt realise the buddy bit was away aswell i thought you did that at your local exchange where you will be based but it seems not.How far are you away from southampton
Standard User Kirky89
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 19:17:24
Print Post

Oh I didn't realise the buddy work was done away too I thought that was at home..... I'm in swindon so I'm about 50 miles if that from Southampton nice straight forward drive too
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 19:31:53
Print Post

is anyone training at yarnfield on there 2nd week yet??do you keep your rooms or do u av to vacate on a friday and rebook back in on sunday night???
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 19:34:30
Print Post

this is what i was tring to ask the guy who emailed us today but he just kept saying that im down to train in yarnfield.Ive got mate who started yesterday so av text him to see if ur buddying is away aswell,im just waiting to see if someone can answer on here.We have the conference call on thursday so guess we will find out then
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 09-May-17 20:00:06
Print Post

im not yet but from what i heard they use the rooms at a weekend for other things
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 20:03:44
Print Post

yea i read that because its hired out for conventions and that,u must get new room issued on the sunday then.What are they like,are they decent with tv u could plug xbox into??
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 20:04:50
Print Post

u sampled bar yet??heard it was £2 a pint for part of the night and can u use the gym and sauna??
Standard User mckeo5514
(member) Tue 09-May-17 20:55:04
Print Post

not got there yet im in a hotel till tomorrow
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 20:58:34
Print Post

Hey guys, extremely helpful info on this page!!

I also have my assessment day on the 11th May in Bristol. So far the whole process has moved extremely quickly and smoothly!! I've spent so much time preparing for the assessment so I hope to get it!!!

Can't decide if I am excited or nervous for the assessment, but hey, if worst comes to worst and I don't get offered the job it's all valuable experience for the future I guess!!

Good Luck with your assessment in London!! smile
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 21:03:44
Print Post

Just spoke to my mate whos on his first week and apparantlly buddying done locallly its just anything on ur training matrix that has training on it is at ur training centre so i believe its weeks 3 5 7 and 8,but as i said earlier will all be confirmed on thursday in conference call at 4 but he did say you can email him if you cant make call but he was a bit vague with me
(regular) Tue 09-May-17 21:13:35
Print Post

[re: Baivox] [link to this post]

seriously dont try and overthink it,i swotted up on why openreach was set up and when and who the chairman and CEO were and never got asked 1 question about it!!it is good to know just in case but theres nothing to really revise on,just be yourself and try to relax they are not trying to catch you out and remember your not competing against everyone on the assesment,if everything goes well theres no reason all 15 of you wont get a job
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 22:13:59
Print Post

Good pointer mate! I've brushed up on a lot of what Openreach have been doing recently, not necessarily the Chairman/CEO!

I'll go along on Thursday and do what you said, just be myself, fingers crossed that's enough to please!

Hope it all goes well for you when you start! smile
Standard User Romandy
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 22:14:15
Print Post

Thanks for everyone who has shared info on here, it's been a great evenings reading. I attended Norwich assessment centre on 26th April. Had it confirmed the next day that I was successful, my start date is 11th September which feels like a age away! I wanna start now!
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Tue 09-May-17 22:56:26
Print Post

Good Evening All

Can't Wait To Start.

It's the 31ST July Mate.

Sent you a private message mate
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 23:28:29
Print Post

Same to you mate good luck!!!
(newbie) Wed 10-May-17 08:56:51
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

It's the 31ST July Mate.

Sent you a private message mate

Replied Mate.
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 17:59:09
Print Post

[re: Romandy] [link to this post]

Good luck to all the lads going to assessments! Base all your answers around health and safety and customer sastisfaction and you won't go wrong.

Currently in yarnfield now, To all the guys coming next week, the biggest piece of advice is bring a large bag or suitcase, the amount of stuff you get is unreal!
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Wed 10-May-17 18:22:06
Print Post

Thanks for the support and advice! This has been a great forum, just going to get through tomorrow and hopefully I'm what they are looking for! Good luck to all!
Standard User Kirky89
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 19:47:17
Print Post

I'm heading up by train on Sunday afternoon from Swindon anyone else on the train that day?
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 20:26:23
Print Post

No probs mate, yeah it's been great on help on here for a lot of us!

Good luck.
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 21:44:27
Print Post

WHAT ARE THE ROOMS LIKE MATE,AV THEY GOT DECENT TV'S IN AND THAT,ALSO CAN U USE GYM AND SAUNA??ALSO THEY SAID U GO FOR UR VAN IN LEICESTER ON FRIDAY AND THEN CAN GO HOME,DO U THINK U WILL GET TOOK THERE IN A MINIBUS THEN OR SOMMATS,IM JUST THINKING EVERYONES GONNA AV LOADS OF GEAR TO TAKE WITH THEM TO GET THEIR VANS??
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 21:46:24
Print Post

IM TRAVELLING DOWN ON TRAIN FROM LINCOLN,4 HOURS AND 4 CHANGES AND ARRIVE AT 19.04,APPARANTLEY THERE IS A SHUTTLE RUNNING FROM 18.00 TO 19.00 JUST DOING LOOPS FROM THE STATION TO YARNFIELD
(regular) Wed 10-May-17 22:02:06
Print Post

MEANT 18.00 TO 21.00,I SAW SOMETHING THAT SAID U HAD TO PAY FOR UR OWN TAXI IF U GET THERE AFTER 19.30 BUT ON THE EMAIL I RECEIVED THE OTHER DAY IT SAID MINIBUS THERE UNTIL 21.00 SO NOT SURE,HOPE TRAINS ARE ON TIME!!
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Wed 10-May-17 22:29:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rickimcc78:
Good luck to all the lads going to assessments! Base all your answers around health and safety and customer sastisfaction and you won't go wrong.

Currently in yarnfield now, To all the guys coming next week, the biggest piece of advice is bring a large bag or suitcase, the amount of stuff you get is unreal!

Thanks for the advice mate smile

How much stuff are we talking here lol When you say large, do you mean hand luggage or bigger ?

What would you suggest taking down also ? Guessing you went wearing usual dress code ?
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 06:42:47
Print Post

WHAT ARE THE ROOMS LIKE MATE,AV THEY GOT DECENT TV'S IN AND THAT,ALSO CAN U USE GYM AND SAUNA??ALSO THEY SAID U GO FOR UR VAN IN LEICESTER ON FRIDAY AND THEN CAN GO HOME,DO U THINK U WILL GET TOOK THERE IN A MINIBUS THEN OR SOMMATS,IM JUST THINKING EVERYONES GONNA AV LOADS OF GEAR TO TAKE WITH THEM TO GET THEIR VANS??

Rooms are decent, some are nicer then others as they are getting refurbished I think. They all have good tvs! Yeah it's a coach that takes you to Leicester and vans will take all your gear there.
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 06:49:05
Print Post

Thanks for the advice mate smile

How much stuff are we talking here lol When you say large, do you mean hand luggage or bigger ?

What would you suggest taking down also ? Guessing you went wearing usual dress code ?

No not hand luggage, bring a suitcase! One with wheels if possible. You will be getting all your uniforms and laptop, testers and phone etc. It should be a touch easier if you guys don't need to commute to an outside hotel but better to have luggage to get all your stuff away so none of your stuff can get mixed up.

Smart casual so a smart tshirt and jeans is fine, trainers too will suffice for the 1st day then you will be in working boots and uniform from Tuesday onwards.

You guys will really enjoy it, although it's a lot to take in join a massive company like this the trainers are really helpful and insightful so don't be nervous and just look forward to it.

Edited by Rickimcc78 (Thu 11-May-17 07:01:47)

(regular) Thu 11-May-17 08:46:10
Print Post

CHEERS MATE FOR INFO,HAVE YOU BEEN TOLD YOU HAVE TO VACATE THE ROOM ON FRIDAY THEN OR CAN YOU LEAVE STUFF IN THERE FOR SUNDAY/MONDAY
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 09:02:54
Print Post

JUST HEARD ON THE RADIO THAT BT ARE STRIPPING 4000 JOBS THIS YEAR BUT THERES 1500 OPENREACH ENGINEERS BEING TOOK ON THIS YEAR!!!!!SAID ITS GETTING RID OF A LOT OF MANAGERS AND POSTS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE AWAY WITH,CEO HAS HAD HIS BONUS TOOK OFF HIM ASWELL,SURE ITS ALL OK BUT IN MY ASSESMENT HE SAID THERE WAS A MASSIVE SHAKE UP NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 11:22:56
Print Post

Quick question.. what happens at weekends? Do you go back home and return for the sunday night??
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 11:35:10
Print Post

As far as I know it's different rooms, all stuff has to get took home then brought back.
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 11:35:46
Print Post

Yeah mate, home on Fridays, back on Sunday night.
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 11:59:23
Print Post

Hi All

Anyone know how many groups are training at the same time or is just one group does all and then finishes then new group starts.
Thanks Ali
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-May-17 12:06:38
Print Post

From what you have said about luggage, I suggest of the size that MUST go in the hold of an aircraft, because of size, as opposed to contents.
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 18:15:34
Print Post

All seems quite real now. Just got my email with my UIN and other details still the wait to go tho
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 18:18:57
Print Post

Hi All

Anyone know how many groups are training at the same time or is just one group does all and then finishes then new group starts.
Thanks Ali

I believe there are 8 groups all start each monday then after the first 2 weeks you go off to your training centre which is either bradford,croydon,forest farm,nursling,peterborough,bolton,or like me im back at yarnfield.Your not allways at one closest to you though im not sure how exactly its worked out but peterborough is 45 mins away from me but im going back to yarnfield which is 2 hours,im just thinking that theres 10 more even closer to peterborough than me so yarnfield is the next closest
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 19:44:08
Print Post

I can confirm, went on my assessment today, thought it went 'ok'! Then got an email 10 minutes ago saying.......... I Passed the assessment!! I'm so happy right now, I can't even put it into words! Can't wait to meet some of you and start working with you!!
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 20:02:07
Print Post

wow same day!!!i had to wait 3 days some people waited 5,well done,just got to wait for your start date now,thats the drag
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 20:29:31
Print Post

Hi All

Thanks Ali

I believe there are 8 groups all start each monday then after the first 2 weeks you go off to your training centre which is either bradford,croydon,forest farm,nursling,peterborough,bolton,or like me im back at yarnfield.Your not allways at one closest to you though im not sure how exactly its worked out but peterborough is 45 mins away from me but im going back to yarnfield which is 2 hours,im just thinking that theres 10 more even closer to peterborough than me so yarnfield is the next closest

Great thanks Lincsboy1979z
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 21:13:44
Print Post

Congratulations mate!! That was a speedy response for sure!!

Had my assessment today too, I feel that it went okay. Few things I could've done slightly better though.
Now for the waiting game to find out if successful or not!
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 21:22:40
Print Post

Thanks mate! Yeah was quick I did receive an email saying they wanted to push through with London recruitment so I did sort of have an idea that it would be a quick response I did not think that quickly to be honest! I'm sure you did fine hopefully you'll find out tomorrow morning! If I'm honest I didn't like the maths very much and I didn't feel that great about my first interview but the other bits seemed to go well!
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 21:43:46
Print Post

Fingers crossed!!
I felt like I did okay with the English and Maths tests. Not to sure with my second interview though! Just the anxious wait is going to be a killer!!
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 21:49:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Baivox:
Fingers crossed!!
I felt like I did okay with the English and Maths tests. Not to sure with my second interview though! Just the anxious wait is going to be a killer!!

doesnt matter about the maths anfd english mate,you cant fail them so dont worry about that,there to see what academic level your at to see if you might need a bit of tuition during your training,thats what we were told as we were the guinnea pigs of that style of testing and firsat ones to do it.
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 21:56:04
Print Post

Congratulations mate, well done! Glad your joining the team
(regular) Thu 11-May-17 22:01:46
Print Post

YOU OFF FOR YOUR NEW WHEELS TOMORROW MATE??WHAT DID YOU HAVE TO DO FOR THE ASSESMENT?HAD MY CONFERENCE CALL TODAY,ALL SORTED NOW READY FOR SUNDAT AFTERNOON.
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 05:43:38
Print Post

Yeah mate, van colllection this morning! Up early excited haha.

Assessment varies depending on what instructor you get for what I can gather.....I just drove for an hour then swapped with another guy who drove for an hour all while being assessed but I've heard other guys only driving 20 minutes then swapping then the instructor would drive and highlight anything that they may have been doing wrong.
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 09:39:49
Print Post

Yeah mate, van colllection this morning! Up early excited haha.

Assessment varies depending on what instructor you get for what I can gather.....I just drove for an hour then swapped with another guy who drove for an hour all while being assessed but I've heard other guys only driving 20 minutes then swapping then the instructor would drive and highlight anything that they may have been doing wrong.

Put some photos up if you can Mate off Van.See what there like.
Thanks.
Ali
Standard User Romandy
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 10:14:57
Print Post

Anyone else starting 11th September? Just got my confirmation yesterday that I'll be based in Harlow, nearly an hour from my house!
Standard User P7L
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 11:02:01
Print Post

[re: Romandy] [link to this post]

How long did it take from receiving the call saying you got the job to receiving more information....contract, forms to send off etc?

Cheers smile
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 11:11:17
Print Post

[re: P7L] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by P7L:
How long did it take from receiving the call saying you got the job to receiving more information....contract, forms to send off etc?

Cheers smile

THINK EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT BUT I WENT FOR ASSESMENT ON THE 19TH FOUND OUT THE 21ST THEN CONTRACT ON 24TH BUT THERE WAS A WEEKEND INBETWEEN,THEN ITS A STEADY FLOW OF THINGS TO FILL OUT IN VARIOUS EMAILS LIKE DISCLOSURE SCOTLAND AND THAT.THEN 2 WEEKS BEFORE YOU ARE DUIE TO START TRAINING YOU WILL GET A CALL FROM EDINBOROUGH WHERE THEY SORT OUT YOUR TRAVEL DOWN THEN WEEK BEFORE YOU GET AN EMIAL WITH WHERE YOUR TRIAINING WILL BE BASED AFTER YARNFILED AND INVITED TO GO INTO A CONFERENCE CALL WITH YOUR RECRUITER AND OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR GROUP FOR ANY FINAL QUESTIONS
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 12:00:19
Print Post

[re: P7L] [link to this post]

I found out I got the job the same day I completed the assessment then the next day (today) have found out my start date will be 5th June starting in Yarnfield for the first week then possibly Peterborough. Only have 3 weeks to wait so hopefully it will go reasonably quick!! Can't wait!
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 13:41:22
Print Post

EVRYBODY 2 WEEKS IN YARNFIELD THEN 4 MORE WEEKS IN OTHER TRAINNG CENTRES,NIOT ALLWAYS NEAREST ONE TO YOU THOUGH
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 14:47:43
Print Post

Does anyone know how BT contact your current employer for references? Phone or email?
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 17:05:52
Print Post

What happens in the van driving test??
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 17:25:13
Print Post

Completed my assessment yesterday... just had an email confirming I've passed the assessment!!

I am so so so so chuffed and over the moon, can't wait for this to progress now!! Just confirmed my booked holidays and now I'm waiting for training start dates!! What a great start to the weekend!! smile
Standard User Ett18
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 17:50:55
Print Post

Congratulations mate!! I know exactly how you feel it's such a great feeling!! I just know it's going to drag until we actually start now!!
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 18:40:43
Print Post

Was by email for mine

In reply to a post by JamesC1999:

Firstly don't think of it as a test its just an assessment and its only to see if your an idiot or not to be fair. Seems it varies from instructor to instructor the time and scope of what you do but having been an instructor I can tell you all they are looking for is a safe considerate and legal drive.

Edited by ShavedApe (Fri 12-May-17 18:43:26)

Standard User gouledw
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 20:16:33
Print Post

Just be prepared if your under 21 you're automatically classed as high risk. Bt may ask you after you've been with them for a few months to do a whole day with a guy from an external company who teaches you how to drive safely and economically. It's actually a really good day.
Standard User Dslammer
(learned) Fri 12-May-17 20:19:49
Print Post

You fill your references in on line, with their contact details

BT contact your references as soon as you submit them. If you read back through all the previous posts this has caused a few people issues.
(member) Fri 12-May-17 21:00:22
Print Post

Good luck all staring next week! Heard down the grapevine there is going to be over 200 new starters at Yarnfield next week! It will be chaotic to say the least, on my third week and can honestly say is been the best out in the exchange getting hands on an questions just ask smile
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Fri 12-May-17 21:13:26
Print Post

I will probably end up on that as im 17
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 22:19:10
Print Post

Yeah that's about right, nearly 70 on my intake, 100 next week hen whoever is doing local training there.

Really enjoyed my 1st week! Looking forward to next week but also glad to home for a couple of nights to see the family.
Standard User gouledw
(regular) Fri 12-May-17 23:26:43
Print Post

Hopefully at the intake they won't ask everyone who is under 18 like they did with me. Was the only one lol, best they could say was no alcohol for you 😂
(member) Sat 13-May-17 07:37:38
Print Post

Glad you're enjoying it Jack!
It's been a long time coming but getting ready to head to Yarnfield tomorrow, hire cars here had to push to get a large one as originally was being asked to take 4 and luggage in a Focus!
How much luggage space do you need is a large suitcase enough or would you recommend a hold-all on top of that?
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 07:46:56
Print Post

Haha no I wouldnt drink if it was given to me, Im just not one for booze
(member) Sat 13-May-17 09:03:00
Print Post

In bet you can't wait! I would take a large suitcase with room in it, you get all your clothes in a massive box so just keep that also get a rucksack for your laptop and papers etc! You'll enjoy it first week its good. The second week dragged for me mainly because I was dying to get stuck in but this third week has been amazing.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sat 13-May-17 09:08:06
Print Post

How long did it take you to get home pal?

I was home just after 4.30pm
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Sat 13-May-17 10:14:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Swanseajack91:
In bet you can't wait! I would take a large suitcase with room in it, you get all your clothes in a massive box so just keep that also get a rucksack for your laptop and papers etc! You'll enjoy it first week its good. The second week dragged for me mainly because I was dying to get stuck in but this third week has been amazing.

Isn't a large suitcase a little excessive for just 5 days worth ?
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 10:17:00
Print Post

I think he means to bring all your kit back in
(member) Sat 13-May-17 10:36:06
Print Post

Yeah it's for all the stuff you get given too just saves having loads of boxes and carrier bags you get so much I couldn't believe how much I got lol.
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Sat 13-May-17 11:38:26
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 8 *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dippa
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 13-May-17 11:59:31
Print Post

That's good time you made mate, I got in at half 6! Was taking it easy though, got overtaken by Gav, Mark and Adam in that order haha.
Standard User Hoss28
(member) Sat 13-May-17 12:31:11
Print Post

I only stopped at Leeds for a quick bite to eat lol

Think I'm leaving at 3pm tomorrow
Standard User SC999
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 12:41:36
Print Post

Is everyone being issued Transit customs or has anybody been given a vauxhall vivaro yet?
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 13-May-17 14:26:40
Print Post

Nice one mate, I'm gonna leave about half 4 I think! See you down there!
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 13-May-17 16:42:39
Print Post

Transit customs only as far I'm aware, they are kitted out great though.
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 17:06:39
Print Post

We need one of the new starters to do a video tour on YouTube and post it up! Everyone only cares about the van!!!
Standard User Rickimcc78
(regular) Sat 13-May-17 18:48:20
Print Post

There is a 360 video tour on YouTube already!

Here

It's a vivaro here but the set up inside is the same
Standard User MC31
(member) Sun 14-May-17 00:30:37
Print Post

Its great to have a new van but if doing U/G it will not stay new for long.

Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Sun 14-May-17 01:55:56
Print Post

Think it will be some time before most of us get to do UG work I could be wrong of course. Personally Im just happy to not have to pay travel costs to get to and from work and I know for sure the MRS is happy about it. Course it probably means I will ultimately pay more since she will be driving the car more but I guess I can make her feel bad about that in a few months time.
Standard User MrSpud
(newbie) Sun 14-May-17 08:03:16
Print Post

I've seen that but it's not quite the tour of the van we all want! I'm not the only loser desperate to see in the back!
Standard User Kirky89
(regular) Sun 14-May-17 18:17:58
Print Post

I'm just at Stafford train station in about 15 minutes I'll be at Stone can't wait to get started
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Sun 14-May-17 20:47:27
Print Post

I'll be there next week I can't wait
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 08:11:02
Print Post

I've just completed the references section and then called the new hire team, they're happy to hold off applying for your references if you've got a good reason. They were going to ask for my ne today and I don't start until August it could have caused issues with my boss.
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 09:07:36
Print Post

[re: Rhamilton32] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rhamilton32:
I've just completed the references section and then called the new hire team, they're happy to hold off applying for your references if you've got a good reason. They were going to ask for my ne today and I don't start until August it could have caused issues with my boss.

Hi Mate
Have you got the Number for the New Hire Team as I need to speak to them also.

Thanks
Ali
(learned) Mon 15-May-17 10:46:59
Print Post

Does anyone know if it's possible to find out the reg no of the van before the last day of the first week
I need to sort a home residents permit an it will take a couple days to arrive
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 11:12:55
Print Post

If you have your hiring managers details I guess you could try them. Failing that maybe try the new hire team. It may be that the van isn't even allocated into Friday but if you explain the situation maybe they can help.
(learned) Mon 15-May-17 11:22:03
Print Post

Hopefully all sorted now jus waiting to here back
Standard User MikeyGrant89
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 12:03:23
Print Post

I've just got an assessment centre date. The 23rd (afternoon) in Glasgow. Has anyone else got this date/location?

Any interview tips would also be welcome.

Cheers
Standard User GDLuke
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 12:22:57
Print Post

[re: MikeyGrant89] [link to this post]

Has anyone had the assessment at the Cambridge racecourse? I'm just looking for some tips of where to park when I arrive and how to get to the building if possible. If not I'll figure it out
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 15:53:56
Print Post

There are so many tips in previous posts there is also a dedicated thread to the assessments although to be fair not many people seem to bother with that.

Best advice be yourself and give it 110% having a knowledge of what Openreach do wont hurt but I wasn't asked anything about OR. Have a good understanding of health and safety especially with a view to things like your current job because they are likely to use it an example or at least ask what you do in your current job health and safety wise. If you can show an aptitude to using health and safety properly then it seems to go a long way.
They aren't trying to trip you up though and in general the whole thing is very relaxed.

They like to delve deeper into your answers too so be honest and prepared.

Edited by ShavedApe (Mon 15-May-17 16:34:35)

Standard User colinm89
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 16:45:05
Print Post

Good luck mate I done mine at Glasgow.

If you're driving then there isn't much parking to be honest, I parked across the bridge at Clyde place, costs £3.50 for all day which isn't bad.

Everyone on the day will make you feel at ease so try not to worry about it too much. On the interviews they asked me about customers and health and safety etc. They are not there to trip you up, so it's nothing to worry about.

Try not to panic on the plug, a lot of people flap and that's when things start going wrong. Make sure you practice before it and there's no rush.

Any other questions just give me a message
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 16:58:36
Print Post

[re: colinm89] [link to this post]

Cheers lads. I've had a look through and everyone seems to say the same thing about just relaxing and being yourself so I'll deffo go with that. Just need to practice interview questions and answers. I'm not too worried about the plug, that's should be OK. What was the level of maths and English? I take it the maths was more complex than adding and subtracting but not as far as trigonometry etc? Is the English based on grammar and spelling?

I am taking the car so I'll prob just park there as well then. As you say, £3.50 ain't bad.

Cheers
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 17:38:09
Print Post

English and maths wasn't that technical to be honest some questions allow the use of a calculator some don't.

The system apparently tests your level before you start so not everyone is the same and they do get gradually more difficult. It is not a pass or fail though so don't worry too much.
Its been some time since I did the questions but yes its pretty much adding subtracting percentages and a little fractions from what I remember there may of been some decimal stuff to but as I say its been a while.

They use forskills website for the tests but honestly so long as you have a good basic knowledge you'll be fine.

Practicing for the interview may come off as coaching and you don't want that, trust me when I say the questions they ask are not that scary and you'll be able to answer them no problem so long as you are honest.

The very best of luck to you and have fun (easier said than done I know)
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 18:05:48
Print Post

Cheers mate. Very helpful info. I'll brush up on maths and English over the next week and I should.be fine.

I've read a couple of posts about the questions being quite in-depth. Are they just based on experience and qualifications?

Cheers, much appreciated.
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 18:30:38
Print Post

ANY ONE GOING TO CARDIFF ASSESSMENT NEXT WEEK????????????
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 18:38:51
Print Post

The interviewsame are fairly relaxed but like ShavedApe stated they do like to delve into your answers so be honest and remember they don't have to be work related I ended up speaking for half an hour about my rugby coaching qualifications it's also worth doing a little research on OR I was asked a few questions like what do we do and who is the CEO ect
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 18:40:20
Print Post

No more based on you than experience and qualifications, I was asked about a time I achieved something I'm really proud of for example. I replied with the fact that I passed the test to be a driving instructor and he then asked me to explain why.

If remember correctly one interview is 5 questions and 1 is just 2.

Basically whatever your answers they will probably want to know more. Both my interviews they where interested in my driving instructor history. Customer service is definitely important to them as is health and safety but I think they try and look for you currently doing it somehow. Felt to me at least like they want to give you the job.
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 19:03:39
Print Post

Alright, think I've got a good idea of what to expect. I'm off to brush up on.my maths and English. Wish me luck!

Cheers
Standard User Baivox
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 19:18:17
Print Post

Best of luck mate, sure you'll smash it!

Has anyone else been given a start date of 4th September? Seems like ages away so hopefully it doesn't drag that much! Just want to get started now!

Edited by Baivox (Mon 15-May-17 19:32:36)

Standard User Nrfk24
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 20:17:30
Print Post

I'm there this Wednesday also, I believe there is parking on site.
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 21:14:05
Print Post

SO SAID I WAS GOING TO POST A DAY BY DAY ASCCOUNT ON HERE OF TRAINING IN YARNFIELD.SO TODAY WAS DAY 1 WHICH HAS BEEN SPENT ALL DAY IN THE CLASSROOM GETTING TALKS ON BT AND THEN GETTING ALL YOUR KIT WHICH IS CLOTHES AND LAPTOP AND IPHONE THEN TRYING IT ON,TAKING BACK ANYTHING THAT DOESNT FIT THEN SPENDING AFTERNOON SETTING UP PHONES AND LAPTOPS WITH ALL THE SECURITY AND PASSWORDS.TO BE FAIR WAS AN OK DAY UNTIL AROUND 17.30.NOW I DONT MIND POSTING THIS AS HOPEFULLY IT WILL HELP SOMEONE ELSE NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE.I WAS CALLED INTO OFFICE AS THEY THOUGHT I MAY BE OVER THE WEIGHT LIMIT DUE TO BEING A BIG 6FT 4ER,SOME OTHERS WERE ALSO HANDPICKED ON THE LARGER SIDE.I WAS QUITE A BIT TO MY SUPRISE OVER THE 18 STONE 11 AND DUE TO THE FACT THIS IS THE HARNESS LIMIT I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO LEAVE AND HAVE TO GO HOME TOMORROW!!!!!ABSOLUTELT GUTTED AS WORKED HARD TO GET HERE.ITS NOT ALL GLOOM AND DOOM AS MY JOB IS STILL OPEN BUT I HAVE TO DROP TO THE CORRECT WEIGHT BEFORE I CAN COME BACK.IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE UP NEAR THE 18 AND A HALF STONE MARK,DONT RISK IT CRASH A BIT OFF BEFORE YOU COME OR YOU WILL END UP LIKE ME AN EMBARRASSED,REALLY [censored] OFFMAN.ITS IN THE CONTRACT YOU SIGN THAT YOU ARE UNDER AND WILL MAINTAIN THAT WEIGHT SO IM BANG TO RIGHTS BUT THOUGHT I WOULD BE GIVEN TIME TO DROP IT WHILST TRAINING BUT THERE SAYING THEY CANT RISK ME NOT AND BELIEVE ME WITH 3 BUFFET ALL YOU CAN EATS A DAY,I SHOULD THINK THERE WILL BE A FEW SWEATING IT HERE NOW.IM NOT BITTER NOW AND WILL GO HOME AND SMASH THE WEIGHT OFF,ITS JUST I HAVE TO NOW FIND SOME TEMPORARY WORK ASWELL!!!
Standard User Ducky88
(newbie) Mon 15-May-17 21:31:15
Print Post

I am totally gutted for you, I have been reading your posts and it has helped me greatly with what to expect along the way. Hope you can loose that bit of weight and might see you when I start training on the 12th of June.
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 21:55:19
Print Post

[re: Ducky88] [link to this post]

CHEERS MATE,PROB MY OWN FAULT TBH,NEW I WAS HOVERING ROUND IT BUT JUT THOUGHT IT WOULD BE OK AS 10 YEARS OF WEARING HARNESSES WHILST SCAFFOLDING AND NEVER HEARD OF A WEIGHT LIMIT ONLY GUIDES BUT AS THE HARNESS IS PARTICULAR FOR THIS JOB ITS LIMIT IS A MUST.GONNA LOOK FOR START JULY NOW AS TO MAKE SURE I DO IT PROPERLY,WASNT GOING TO POST BUT KNOW THERES BEEN A FEW OTHERS STEWING ABOUT WHETHER THEY GET WEIGHED SO IF IT HELPS SOMEONE ELSE THEN GREAT
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 22:09:16
Print Post

Gutted for you man good luck getting the weight off so you can continue. Your info has been invaluable to many.
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 22:20:23
Print Post

CHEERS MATE GUTTED AND IT DOESNT SEEM FAIR BUT RULES ARE RULES I GOT SELECTED FOR A DIFFERENT ROLE ASWELL THAN WHAT I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO BE DOING AND THERE WERE ONLY 10 OF US OUT THE 60 DOING IT SO WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.
LIKE I WAS TOLD BY THE TOP MANAGER,THEY INVEST AROUND £25000 IN YOU IN FIRST WEEK ALONE SO YOUR AN ASSETT AND YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN OUT OF 14.000 APPLICANTS THIS YEAR AS OF FRIDAYS COUNT, SO THEY DONT WANT TO JUST CAST ME OFF WHICH IS GOOD BUT THEIR HANDS ARE TIED WHICH AFTER I WENT AWAY AND CALMED DOWN I COULD UNDERSTAND.LIKE I SAY APART FROM HAVING TO FIND A BIT OF TEMPORARY WORK IM NOT BITTER,WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT AND COME BACK IN 6-8 WEEKS AND WILL CONTINUE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS AS THIS FORUM HAS BEEN GREAT
Standard User Bjt1992
(learned) Mon 15-May-17 22:22:37
Print Post

Absolutely gutted for you mate !! I know it's been a worry for many on here so thanks for sharing this ! It has just prompted me to go and weigh myself and fortunately I'm just under 15st but could have quite easily have been just under or over the 18st mark and your heads up would have allowed me 4 weeks to smash the gym and drop some weight !

Really hope you manage to get a quick turnaround and are back in training asap !
(regular) Mon 15-May-17 22:32:02
Print Post

ON A FOOTNOTE BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY YOU WILL NEED A VERY LARGE HOLDHALL OR SUITCASE FOR YOUR GEAR,ITS NOT AN OVER EXAGERRATION.
KIT GIVEN TODAY

5 T-SHIRTS
2 JUMPERS
2 TROUSERS
1 SHORTS
1 BOMBER STYLE JACKET
1 BIG HI VIZ JACKET
1 BEANY HAT
2 PAIRS OF BOOTS DIFFERENT STYLES
1 HARD HAT
GLOVES AND DUST MASKS
1 PAIR OF OVERALLS
1 PAIR OF HI VIZ WATERPROOFS

A TOP OF THE RANGE LENNOVO THINKPAD LAPTOP AN IPHONE 5S WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS FOR VAN,CHARGER,MOUNT,ETC AND A SMART RUCKSACK TO KEEP IT ALL IN

THATS ON TOP OF CLOTHES FOR THE WEEK BUT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO WEAR YOUR GEAR ON FIRST DAY AFTERNOON SO ITS JUST UNDERWEAR AND CLOTHES YOU WANT TO WEAR AT NIGHT,YOU CAN STAY IN YOUR GEAR WHEN HAVING TEA AND THAT AND ALSO IN BAR BUT SOME LIKE TO CHANGE.
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Tue 16-May-17 10:00:25
Print Post

Absolutely Gutted for you buddy, I take it they given you the opportunity to drop the weight? Do they give you a time frame to do it in as just wondering as I start in a few weeks and think I may just be over the limit but due to medication I'm on losing weight takes longer than most. Think I need to weigh myself.
(newbie) Tue 16-May-17 13:28:06
Print Post

gutted for you you must be determined thank you for all the support and help on this forum you are one in a million
(newbie) Tue 16-May-17 13:29:13
Print Post

guess iam the only one lol
(member) Tue 16-May-17 13:29:30
Print Post

Awh Man that is [censored]! We have some large blokes in our group no mention of weight or anything! Good luck for the next time like you said you have been picked so you should still have a job all the best anyway!
(learned) Tue 16-May-17 15:09:13
Print Post

I'm not small an had to diet to get down to make weight I'm about 18,6 but hope to drop a bit before next wk anyone that has started an stayed at yarnfield know is there fridges in the rooms jus wanna know for milk to have a tea
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Tue 16-May-17 17:46:26
Print Post

Hi, ive been following this thread since mid april 2017 on the build up to my assessment, got some really useful tips.. just wanted to say that a few months ago i was 17stone something but over the past month and half i have replaced my dinner, snack and evening meal with a drink called ovaltine.. you should try it.. not taking the mick or anything as i was once in your situation, honestly try it, i was 17stone in april and now im down to 14stone 5 or something.. but been my age 17 and weighing 17 stone wasnt where i wanted to be.. also i start on 3rd of July.. anyone else??
(member) Tue 16-May-17 20:42:38
Print Post

No fridges in the rooms mate, just the little pots of milk you get in hotel rooms.
(regular) Tue 16-May-17 22:16:44
Print Post

OK THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR MESSSAGES OF SUPPORT,BIN A COUPLE OF WRENCHING DAYS AND NOW IM SO [censored] OFF WITH BT I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE JOB NOW.SO AS THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE READ WILL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY,AS IF THINGS COULDNT GET WORSE,I HAD TO HAND ALL MY STUFF BACK IN THIS MORNING AT 8.30 AND WAS TOLD MY HIRE CARE WOULD BE HERE AT 10 TO GO HOME IN.I GOT MY STUFF FROM MY ROOM,CHECKED OUT AND SAT AND HAD A COFFEE IN THE RECPTION.10 CAME SO I WENT AND WAITED OUTSIDE,12 CAME AND AFTER STANDING THERE LIKE A [censored] WITH THE SAME PEOPLE WALKING PAST AND LAUGHING AT ME I CONTACTED DES WHO IS THE COORDINATOR ON SITE AND TOLD HIM,HE SAID ENTERPRISE WERE SUPPOSED TO SEND ME THE CAR BUT HADNT AND IT WOULD BE THERE IN THE NEXT HOUR.1PM CAME STILL NO CAR AND ALL MY GROUP HAD WALKED PAST ME BY THIS TIME SO I WAS PRETTY EMBARRASSED AND [censored] OFF WITH HAVING TO TELL THEM WHAT HAD HAPPENED AND WHAT HAD HAPPENED THIS MORNING.SO 2PM COMES AND NOW 4 HOURS STANDING AND WAITING WITH NO COMMUNICATION FROM BT OR ANYONE COMING OUT TO SEE ME I DECIDED TO [censored] THE HIRE CAR OFF,AND GOT A TAXI AND TRAIN HOME AT MY OWN EXPENSE,AND THEN RECEIVED A HALF HEARTED APOLOGY ON AN EMAIL SAYING THE CAR SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE.NOT FEELING THE LOVE AT THE MINUTE FROM BT AND SERIUOSLY QUESTIONING WHETHER I WANT TO PUT MYSELF THROUGH A REALLY STRICT REGIME FOR 6 WEEKS TO BE TREATED LIKE THIS.PLEASE DONT COME TO YARNFIELD THINKING ITS ALL GOOD AS A FEW PEOPLE HAVE FOUND OUT WITH THE WEIGHT ISSUE AND ESPECIALLY HOLIDAYS,ITS QUITE A WAKE UP CALL!!!!!
(regular) Tue 16-May-17 22:17:41
Print Post

CANT BELIEVE THEY STILL SELL OVALTINE ITS BIN AROUND FOR YEARS,BUT IT CANT BE HEALTHY ONLY EATING IN THE MORNING CAN IT??
(regular) Tue 16-May-17 22:25:47
Print Post

DROP AS MUCH AS YOU CAN MATE,HE MAY NOT PICK U OUT BUT CAME IN ON DAY 1 AND PICKED AROUND 5 PEOPLE OUT HE THOUGHT MAY BE OVER AS THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE WILL SEE YOU IN THE FLESH,HE WIL WEIGH YOU IN UR FULL CLOTHES WITH SHOES ON WHICH THEY DO ALLOW FOR AS THE WEIGHT LIMIT IS YOUR PANTS WEIGHT SO TO SPEAK BUT HAMMER IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AND JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT GET WEIGHED KEEP IT GOING BECAUSE YOUR POLE TRAINING ISNT UNTIL WEEK 4 OR 7 WHICH DEPENDS ON YOUR ROLE BUT ON THE FRIDAY OF THE SECOND WEEK YOU WILL DO A DAY ON THE POLE AND IF HE THINKS YOUR OVER HE WONT LET YOU UP AND YOU WILL BE SENT HOME.ALSO THERES LOADS OF FOOD 3 TIMES A DAY AND ITS VERY TEMPTING TO OVERLOAD,THERE IS HEALTHIER OPTIONS THER THOUGH BUT HE RECKONS YOU HAVE SIGNED TO SAY YOU ARE UNDER THAT WEIGHT AND WILL MAINTAIN IT DURING YOUR CAREER,SO KNOW THERE SAYING YOU COULD BE REPREMANDED FOR PUTTING WEIGHT ON DURING YOUR CAREER!!!!!!!A LOT TO THINK ABOUT BELIEVE ME BUT HONESTLY LIKE I WOULD SAY TO ANYONE IF YOUR HOVERING AROUND THE 18 STONE MARK TRY AND HAMMER A BIT MORE OFF BEFORE YOU GOT O YARNFIELD
(regular) Tue 16-May-17 22:30:28
Print Post

LIKE I SAY I DONT HAVE TO POST THIS AND WISH THIS EXISTED MONTHS AGO AS I THOUGHT I WOULD BE OK AND IF WEIGHED WOULD BE ASKED TO LOSE IT BEFORE THE POLE TRAINING.I TOOK A RISK AND PAID THE PRICE SO AS MY JOBS STILL THERE AND SAFE FOR THE TIME BEING IVE GOT NOTHING TO LOSE BY LETTING OTHERS KNOW AND IF IT HELPS SOMEONE ELSE THEN GREAT
(regular) Tue 16-May-17 22:34:55
Print Post

YES MATE JOB STILL THERE WITH ALL MY KIT,IVE BEEN SELECTED FOR THE VFR ROLE WHERE THERES NOT MANY OF SO THEY HAVE SPENT TIME AND INVVESTED MONEY IN PICKING ME FOR THAT ROLE OUT OF 14.000,SO ITS GREAT THEY HAVENT JUST SAID BYE,BUT JUST [censored] ME OFF TODAY.AND THERE MIGHT BE SOME LADS IN YOUR GROUP THAT MAY HAVE GOT AWAY WITH IT BUT IF DES HAS ANY SUSPICIONS THAT PEOPLE MAY BE OVER THEY COULD BE WEIGHED BEFORE POLE TRAINING AND FURTHER DOWN THE LINE WOULD BE WORSE AS YOU MIGHT NOT GET CHANCE TO DROP INTO ANOTHER GROUP.
Standard User Dslammer
(learned) Wed 17-May-17 08:17:02
Print Post

Has anyone who has started at Yarnfield had any issues with planned holidays being honoured?
Standard User Ducky88
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 08:59:22
Print Post

I know when I got the call to say that I had been offered the job the asked if I had any holidays before being given a date. I don't think they like to give you holidays in the first 3 months as it messes up training schedules so they will offer a start date after your holiday.
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 09:05:40
Print Post

OH YEA,SOME PEOPLE WAY HACKED OFF AS THERE QUITE BRUTAL IN TELLING YOU NO.BASICALLY ANYTHING IN YOUR FIRST 12 WEEKS FROM STARTING IS A BIG FAT NO UNLESS YOU HAVE CONFIRMATION YOU CAN TAKE IN AND THAT IT WAS BOOKED BEFORE YOU SIGNED YOUR CONTRACT,IF ITS AFTER THERE SAYING YOU CANT GO,THERE WERE A LOT OF PEOPLE PUTTING UP THERE HAND AND SAYING BUT IVE GOT THIS AND THAT AND WERE BASICALLY TOLD YOU WONT BE GOING.IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING ELSE BOOKED FORM WEEK 12 TO WEEK 24 YOU ALSO HAVE TO TAKE WRITTEN CONFIRMATION IN SO THEY CAN PUT IT ON THE SYSTEM SO WHEN YOU GO LIVE YOUR ALLREADY BOOKED IN,SO BASICALLY YOU CAN DO ANYTHING FOR FIRST 6 MONTHS UNLESS ITS PRE BOOKED!!!IF YOUR THINKING OF GOING AWAY AFTER YOUR FIRST 12 WEEKS BUT HAVENT ALLREADY BOOKED THEYRE SAYING YOU STILL COULD GET IT OFF BUT ONLY IF NEW MANAGER SAYS SO,ALSO NO ONE CAN BOOK ANY TIME OFF IN DECEMBER APPARANTLEY SO WITH 20 ODD DAYS HOLS TO GET IN LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE WILL BE HAVING WINTER OFF!!!LIKE I SAY IM NOT BITTER JUST TELLING EVERYONE IT MAY BE NOT BE THE HOLY GRAIL YOU WAS THINKING AND THERES A LOT OF RULES.PEOPLE WERE MAKING SOME AWKWARD PHONE CALLS TO THE MISSUS AFTER DAY 1!!
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 09:12:00
Print Post

not so promising as it looks I may give this a miss and look else where why was there some awkward phone calls to say cant go on holidays? How strict are bt?
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 09:23:32
Print Post

Honestly I dont mind it, fills me up for ages, still knocking about on supermarket shelfs
.. also i think im in the same role i got FVR which i think is fault volume reduction? What were you told fvr was?
Standard User pythonz
(learned) Wed 17-May-17 09:40:02
Print Post

Honestly I dont mind it, fills me up for ages, still knocking about on supermarket shelfs
.. also i think im in the same role i got FVR which i think is fault volume reduction? What were you told fvr was?

When do you get told about your role ? There's me thinking you only get to know your roles when you get to Yarnfield.

I guess Job title is the same for everyone Trainee Openreach Engineer but roles are different. What is the role code for FVR ? I just looked at one of my email from BT and it states role code: TMNE2 what ever that means. Anyone shed any light on this? I did initally apply for Openreach Network engineers role.
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 09:58:57
Print Post

[re: Ducky88] [link to this post]

I had a holiday booked for beginning of July. Got the call with start date of mid June but when I mentioned the holiday was then told I would have to start September. I said no, I'll change the holiday which cost me £160 so I could keep the June start date.
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 10:18:55
Print Post

YEP VERY STRICT YOU DID THE RIGHT THING,IF YOU TELL THEM YOU HAVE THEM BOOKED WHEN YOU GET THE CALL THEY WILL POSTPONE YOUR START DATE,IF YOU WAIT TILL YOU GET TO YARNFIELD THEY WILL JUST TELL YOU NO
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 10:29:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by pythonz:

When do you get told about your role ? There's me thinking you only get to know your roles when you get to Yarnfield.

I guess Job title is the same for everyone Trainee Openreach Engineer but roles are different. What is the role code for FVR ? I just looked at one of my email from BT and it states role code: TMNE2 what ever that means. Anyone shed any light on this? I did initally apply for Openreach Network engineers role.

YOU DONT GET TOLD UNTIL YOU GET TO YARNFIELD YOUR ROLE,EVERYONE IS UNDER SERVICE DELIVERY TRAINEE OPENREACH ENGINEER,UNTIL YOU GET TO YARNFIELD THEN SOMETIMES YOUR ROLE AND EVEN YOUR TRAINNG CENTRE CAN CHANGE.
SO THERE IS THE MOST POPULAR ONE WHICH IS CANELO OR SOME INITIALS LIKE THAT WHICH IS UP THE POLES AND INTO CUSTOMERS HOUSES,AND THATS 12 WEEKS TRAINING.THEN THERE IS THE FVR(FAULT VOLUME REDUCTION)WHERE YOU ARE IN THE STREET CABS AND ALSO INSTALLING NEW ONES AND THE NEW TECHNOLOGY,OTHER BT ENGINEERS SAY THIS IS A GOOD ONE TO GET INTO AND ALSO YOU DO YOUR UNDERGROUND TRAINING QUICKER WHICH PUTS YOU ONTO A HIGHER PAY GRADE AFTER 12 MONTHS,THIS ONE IS 11 WEEKS TRAINING,THERE WAS ONLY 10 OF US OUT OF THE 64 THAT WERE DOING THIS.THERE IS ALSO A SPLICING ROLE WHICH IS DIFFERENT ALLTOGETHER AND IS 17 WEEKS TRAINING,THESE LADS KNEW THEY WERE ALLREADY DOING THIS AND THEY DONT GET A VAN AS THEY WILL BE OUT IN THE CHERRY PICKER VANS IN TEAMS.
IFYOU WERE INFORMED THAT YOU WERE GOING INTO FVR YOU WERE LUCKY AS NONE OF US 10 KNEW AND WERE ALL A BIT SUPRISED AS ITS A DIFFERENT TRAINING MATRIX TO THE ONE WE RECEIVED.AS I SAY IVE MISSED OUT AS NOT GOING BACK FOR 6-8 WEEKS BUT IM GETTING REGULAR TEXTS FROM MY MATE WHOS THERE GIVING ME THE HEADS UP ON ANYTHING.
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 10:31:39
Print Post

not so promising as it looks I may give this a miss and look else where why was there some awkward phone calls to say cant go on holidays? How strict are bt?

JUST TELLING IT HOW IT IS MATE THEY WONT HONOUR ANY HOLIDAYS IN YOUR FIRST 12 WEEKS UNLESS YOU HAVE WRITTEN CONFIRMATION THAT IT WAS BOOKED BEFORE YOU HAD YOUR PHONE CALL TO SAY YOU GOT THE JOB
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 10:36:46
Print Post

THAT CODE IS YOUR CONTRACT CODE THERES NOTHING TO LINK YOU TO A ROLE UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD BUT NONE OF US 10 WHERE.IT DOESNT MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE BUT THE TRAINING/BUDDYING SCHEDULE IS DIFFERENT AND YOU GO LIVE QUICKER.ONE LAD FROM LONDON THOUGHT HE WAS DOING CANELO AND WAS DOING IT DOWN THE ROAD FROM HIM IN CROYDON BUT THEN FOUND OUT HE WAS DOING A DIFFERENT ROLE AND AFTER YARNFIELD WAS GOING TO BOLTON!!!!
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 10:40:20
Print Post

LOADS TO TAKE IN BUT JUST GIVING YOU THE HEADS UP ON WHAT TO EXPECT FIRST DAY AS I NEVER HAD THIS.ALSO YOU ARE ALL CLASSED AS APPRENTICES WHICH THEY DONT TELL YOU,IT DOESNT REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO YOUR MONEY OR NOTHING BUT ITS BECAUSE YOU ARE ACTUALLY STUDYING FOR A NVQ QUALIFICATION WHILST CARRYING OUT YOUR TRAINING AND THEN BT CAN CLAIM MONEY BACK FOR EACH COMPLETED APPRENTICE.ITS VERY GOOD REALLY AS YOUR GETTING A PROPER QUALIFICATION THROUGH AN APPRENTICESHIP WITHOUT BEING ON £3 AN HOUR!!!
(learned) Wed 17-May-17 10:41:26
Print Post

Lincs hope you don't mind me asking but how far over the limit was you ?
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 10:49:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Robmitch123:
Lincs hope you don't mind me asking but how far over the limit was you ?

NO PROBS MATE,THEY RECKONED I WAS 20ST 6LBS SO NEARLY 1 1/2 STONE OVER BUT I KNOW IM NOT AND THEY DO ALLOW 5/6 LBS DUE TO BEING WEIGHED IN UR CLOBBER.THERE WAS ANOTHER LAD AT 19ST 2LBS AND HE WAS ALLOWED TO STAY AS RIGHT ON LIMIT BUT IF HE WEIGHS IN TOO HEAVY IN 4 WEEKS ON POLE TRAINING HES OUT OF THERE,SO GLAD I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE CHANCE TO GO AWAY AND CRASH,AND LOOKING AT IT TODAY NOW THE RED MIST HAS SETTLED I BELIEVE THATS THE RIGHT THING TO DO AND KNOW THAT BT HAVE TO CARRY OUT WHATS IN PLACE, I KNEW I WAS OVER AS I HAD A POOR LAST 4 WEEKS BEFORE I WENT AS NOT HAD A LOT TO DO AT WORK AND COULDNT USE THE GYM AS [censored] MY ANKLE I PUT TOO MUCH ON AND THEN INSTEAD OF STRESSING OUT AND WORRYING ABOUT IT I TRIED TO JUST GO AND SEE WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I GOT THERE AND FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY ALONG WITH 2 OTHERS.LIKE I SAID BEFORE ITS GOING TO BE A MISSION BUT LEAST THERE IS A DECENT END GOAL,AND GETTING HEALTHIER TO BOOT IS A BONUS
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 10:51:38
Print Post

AND AS WE TALK ABOUT IT ITS OFF TO THE GYM FOR ME,NO POINT STARTING MONDAY,GOING TO HAVE REST OF WEEK OFF AND TRY AND LOSE 3/4 LBS AT LEAST BY END OF WEEK THEN GET A BIT OF TEMP WORK FOR A FEW WEEKS WHILST I LOSE THE REST.
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 11:00:51
Print Post

READ ON A NUTRITION PAGE THAT ITS FULL OF SUGAR WHICH CAN SPIKE YOUR INSULIN LEVELS CAUSING YOUR FAT STORES TO BLOCK SO IT STOPS THEM BEING LOST AND THEREFORE CUT DOWN SO NOT ADVISED FOR SOMEONE LOSING WEIGHT.IT WORKED FOR YOU THOUGH SO GREAT,WELL DONE,BUT PROB BECAUSE YOU WERENT REALLY EATING SO CRASH DIETING,DONT PUT IT BACK ON AND YOU WILL CRUISE THROUGH THE TRAINING THEN.ALTHOUGH AS YOU ARE YOUNG I THINK YOU HAVE TO GO AND DO AN EXTRA DRIVING ASSESMENT TO EVERYONE ELSE,A FULL DAY THING BUT I BELEIVE ITS AFTER YOU GET YOUR VAN.ITS JUST AN INSURANCE THING FOR UNDER 21'S,EVERYONE HAS TO DO A DRIVING ASSESMENT WITH AN AA GUY FOR AROUND AN HOUR ON DAY 3/4 JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU GET YOUR VAN YOUR NOT GOING TO TEAR ROUND IN IT LIKE A D££KHEAD.
(learned) Wed 17-May-17 11:04:14
Print Post

I had to drop a stone an was stressing before the assessment last year thought they weighed you at assessment so had a week to drop 9lb I dropped my calories to 1400 an it fell off on the day I was at 18.11 but have dropped a little more since you can do it man jus have to be strict with yourself
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 11:22:55
Print Post

I KNOW,I CAN DO IT IVE DONE IT BEFORE,LIKE YPOU SAY ITS JUST BEING MORE CAREFULL AND AS THERES PLENTY EXTRA IT SHOULD FALL OFF ITS ABOUT DISCIPLINE AND A LOT EASIER WHEN YOU HAVE AND AN END GIOAL,THE THING IS HE WILL ONLY PICK YOU OUT IF HE THINKS YOU LOOK OVER IT AND BECAUSE IM 6FT 4 AND NOT SLIM HE CHOSE ME STRAIGHT AWAY BUT MY ADVICE IS TO ANYONE WHOS ANYWHERE NEAR IT,DONT RISK IT AND LOSE THAT EXTRA STONE BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT GET WEIGHED ON DAY 1 BUT DAY 10 IS YOUR FIRST POLE EXPERIENCE AND HE COULD WEIGH YOU THEN.ALSO SO MUCH FOOD THERE TO CHOOSE FROM 3 TIMES A DAY YOU DONT WANT TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR THE LIMIT!!RIGHT DEFFO OFF TO GYM NOW SO OFF THE COMPUTER
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 13:16:39
Print Post

what are the ages off the trainees are they all young??????????
Standard User Dippa
(learned) Wed 17-May-17 13:33:51
Print Post

Sorry to hear the bad news mate!

Download myfitnesspal and start counting your calories! It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you don't exceed your daily calorie intake! You need to be on a calorie defacit.

If you need help calculating then drop me a pm

Edited by Dippa (Wed 17-May-17 16:18:27)

Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 14:25:56
Print Post

I start next Monday and I'm 44 so I'm hoping some are at least close to my age.

Drinking water will help weight loss it flushes your system of toxins. Very often when you feeling hungry it's actually your body craving water. You'll pee a lot at first but your body gets used to it and will adjust.

Edited by ShavedApe (Wed 17-May-17 14:57:45)

(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 15:11:32
Print Post

cheers thanks for that u old git lol iam older than you does it matter?
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 15:11:53
Print Post

what are the ages off the trainees are they all young??????????

NO TO BE HONEST I WAS QUITE SUPRISED THERE WAS A VERY MIXED BAG,OUT OF 64 I WOULD SAY THERE WERE 30 UNDER 30 MAYBE 20 30-40 AND AT LEAST 10 OVER 50,I THINK THERE WAS A BLOKE THERE ON WEEK 2 AT 62!!!
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 15:14:08
Print Post

Sorry to hear the bad news mate!

Download myfitnesspal and start counting your calories! It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you don't exceed your daily callri intake! You need to be on acalorie defacit.

If you need help calculating then drop me a pm

IM BEEN USING THAT ONE MATE THANKS AND REALLY HELPFULL,ALSO INCLUDES YOUR STEPS FOR THE DAY AND GIVES YOU MORE TO PLAY WITH BUT IM TRYING TO STAY UNDER THE 2000 AND JUST BEEN TO GYM AND SPOKE TO A PT AND HES GIVEN ME THIS WEBSITE FOR LOW CARB STUFF,SO WILL GET THERE
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 15:14:21
Print Post

lol and there was me hoping to be the father figure of the group, I guess you can be the grandfather figure
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 15:16:00
Print Post

im 50 and a granddad lol
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 15:16:09
Print Post

SHAVED APE AND MARTTHEFART YOU WILL BE SUPRISED HOW MANY YOUNG LADS THERE ARE,MOST OF THEM ON MY GROUP HAD LIVED A LITTLE AND WERE LOOKING FOR CHANGES IN CAREERS
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 15:18:21
Print Post

OBVIOUSLY I MEANT SUPRISED AT HOW LESS OF THE GROUP ARE UNDER 25
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 15:18:30
Print Post

cheers lincs hope u feeling better after a good work out if I pass my assessment I will look out for a 6 4 slim bloke or lady lol
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 15:19:53
Print Post

I will have to get a new mobile to play with to fit in with the young ones
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 15:31:11
Print Post

I will have to get a new mobile to play with to fit in with the young ones

YOU GET A BRAND NEW IPHONE 5S SO U WILL AV THAT BUT CAN ONLY PLAY ON IT WHAT BT SAY HA HA
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 16:05:47
Print Post

5s are old Samsung galaxy is better
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 16:34:23
Print Post

YES THEY ARE OLD BUT ONLY JUST UPGRADED FROM THE 4,CAN YOU IMAGINE THE COST IF THEY GAVE ALL 25,000 ENGINEERS A NEW 6 OR 7,THEY HAVE TO PULL THE REIGNS IN SOMEWHERE,U DO GET A £700 LAPTOP AND A £20.000 VAN SO ITS NOT ALL BAD.
Standard User harryvw
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 16:44:31
Print Post

Sorry to the hear the bad news fella, I hope you manage to drop the weight so you can continue your training. It's great that you're giving info to us new starters, it's appreciated!

Got an email last week with my list of tasks to complete ready for my 7th August start date
Standard User JamesC1999
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 16:46:57
Print Post

[re: harryvw] [link to this post]

Anyone else starting on the 3rd July??
Standard User Ryan6
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 17:21:59
Print Post

Been reading your posts and must say thanks for all the info, sorry to hear about your situation but glad it will all be sorted for you in a few weeks.
I've applied for Merseyside area and have received three emails now saying we're considering you for vacancies in your area but as yet can't book you into an assessment centre,we'll be back in touch in 2 weeks. Seems quite automated which leads to think no ones even watched my video interview yet!
Haven't noticed anyone else from my area talking about assessment centre on here so maybe they just haven't got to my area yet?
Also can anyone shed any light on potential earnings after the 12 months, can't seem to find any info about it or what hours youd be working. Just says between 7-9 mon-sun would it be a week of early starts followed by lates?
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 17:28:09
Print Post

[re: Ryan6] [link to this post]

THERE DID SEEM TO BE A LOT OF SCOUSE/MANC ACCENTS FLOATING ABOUT SO MAYBE THEY ARE STALLING FOR NOW.IT DOES TAKE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AFTER YOUR VIDEO TO GET AN ASSESMENT DATE BUT IT ALL DEPENDS HOW MANY THEY HAVE GIVEN START DATES TO.I HAVENT HEARD OF ANYOINE WHOS HAD THOSE EMAILS YOU HAVE HAD SO MAYBE THERE JUST KEEPING YOU INTERESTED,HOLD ON IN THERE WHILST YOUR WORKING SOMEWHERE ELSE AND THEN JUST HAVE DAY OFF IF NEEDED.TOOK ME 10 MONTHS UNTIL I GOT AN ASSESMENT DAY FROM FIRST APPLYING AND SOME IN MY GROUP OVER A YEAR.ITS £20.000 TO START OFF WITH AND RISES TO £23500 AFTER 12 MONTHS AND THEN ITS UP TO YOU AS THE MORE SKILLS YOU LEARN THE MORE YOU WILL EARN.,THERS A 10% BONUS PAID MONTHLY INTO YOUR WAGES,THEY WERE SKETCHY AS HOW THIS IS OBTAINED BUT 2 LADS I KNOW HAVE HAD IT EVERY MONTH FOR 2 YEARS WITHOUT FAIL.
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 17:33:24
Print Post

ALSO THE HOURS ARE 8.00 - 16.10 MONDAY TO FRIDAY,THEY PUT THOSE HOURS IN APPLICATION SO IF YOU ARE EVER ASKED TO WORK THEM YOU CANT SAY I DIDNT KNOW YOU WORKED THOSE HOURS.SOME EXCHANGES WORK 4 91/2 HOUR SHIFTS INSTEAD SO DASY OFF EACH WEEK BUT NO ONE WILL SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT UNTIL YOU GET TO YOUR LOCAL EXCHANGE.THERES ALSO NO OVERTIME WHILST TRAINING AND YOU GET PAID THE LAST WORKING DAY OF EACH MONTH.IF YOU START IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MONTH LIKE I DID YOU WILL STILL BE PAID WHATEVER YOU DO THAT MONTH,THEY SORT OF PRE-PAY YOU BASED ON KNOWING YOU WILL DO ALL THOSE DAYS IN THAT MONTH AND I THINK IF YOU HAVE TIME OFF THEY WILL JUST TAKE IT OFF YOU IF ITS ALLREADY GONE TO WAGES.I BELIEVE WHEN TRAINED YOUR OVERTIME HAS A CUT OFF LIKE MOST PLACES
Standard User Ryan6
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 19:02:10
Print Post

We hope you’re well!

We wanted to get in touch to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about you. We're still considering your application for vacancies in your area and we are in the process of selecting candidates for our assessment centres.

As previously advised we can’t invite all candidates to an assessment centre but we will inform you either way if you have been successful in making it to the next stage. If your situation has changed and you're no longer interested in an apprenticeship at BT, please let us know so we can update your details.

Thank you for being so patient as we go through this process. We’ll be back in touch in two weeks’ time but if you want to get in touch before then please email openreachrecruitment@bt.com

THATS THE EMAIL I KEEP GETTING
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 19:18:19
Print Post

Yeah ive seen a few get that in the past no idea if anyone has ever progressed passed that i hope they do for your sake the very best of luck. It does seem to take some length of time for some. Probably about a year for me since I started the process and then all of a sudden everything changed and I start this coming monday.
(regular) Wed 17-May-17 19:22:57
Print Post

I GOT THAT SAME EMAIL AFTER MY VIDEO INTERVIEW MATE JUST HAD A LOOK IN MY BT FOLDER,DID VIDEO ON 13TH OF THE MONTH GOT THAT EMAIL ON 23RD THEN GOT INVITE TO ASSESMENT ON 7TH OF NEXT MONTH SO IT CAN TAKE TIME
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 20:55:38
Print Post

[re: harryvw] [link to this post]

Same start date as me mate, I've just done the tasks, August seems like a long time away yet though!
Standard User Ryan6
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 22:04:49
Print Post

[