General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bons
(newbie) Wed 03-May-17 13:32:21
Print Post

Openreach Assessment Centre

[link to this post]

The threads seems to get quite long quite quick so thought it be an idea to start a thread for each different step of the application process.

The Assessment Centre consists of the following
Introduction followed by a presentation about the company and the role. Then you are split up and go of to do the following.

2 Interviews about 40 minutes each. 1 is more about your personality and drive the other being more role specific. I would recommend doing your research on the company as you will be asked.

English & Maths assessment which are 40 minutes each these are just to assess what level your at and not a pass/fail test.

Instruction based assessment (wire a 3 pin plug). You are given instructions and the tools to complete the task. You are expected to use all the tools and make sure you wear the safety glasses until your told to take them off..

Color Blind test which is usually done once you have finished wiring the plug. This is simpleyou are given a bunch of cables and you have to pick out pairs the assessor asks.

It a fairly relaxed day and seems to fly by.

There are usually some newly qualified engineers around to talk to in between tasks and when I went they had some VR headsets which are worth a go.

Edited by Bons (Wed 03-May-17 18:48:03)

Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Thu 04-May-17 07:25:23
Print Post

Re: Openreach Assessment Centre

[re: Bons] [link to this post]

I wasn't asked about the company in my interviews but I will say they do like to dig a little deeper into your answers. So make sure you are prepared don't just give them what you think they want to hear if you cant back it up.
Its all well and good telling them you are a health and safety nut job but unless you can tell them how don't tell them that in the first place.
Just because I wasn't asked about the company doesn't mean you won't be know the job and what it entails as best you can they give you all the info you need but check out some videos on youtube too.

I don't remember all my questions but of course we don't want you to look like you've been coached anyway that would not be good. One interview was about five questions while the other was just two but as I say they like to dig a little deeper so even though they have two or five main questions to ask they will want to know more.
Health and Safety is important to them pretty sure one of the interviews is focussed on that to some degree.

The maths and english test is done on the site www.forskills.co.uk costs money to try out on there though so check on google for maths assessments I seem to remember a bbc one I used but I also found one very much like the forskills one I just can't for the life of me find it now I want to.
They are not a pass or fail but it doesn't hurt to brush up stuff if like me its been a while since you last took a test.

Be yourself and sell yourself as much as you can but be honest because if you're not they will see through it.
Standard User sjh10
(newbie) Wed 17-May-17 21:14:52
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

Useful info thanks guys. I have my assessment day in Cardiff on 24th of this month. After reading what i can online, feeling confident and well prepared. No doubt the interview environment will bring some nerves but to be expected.
Hoping to take it all in my stride and aim to sell myslef the best I can but generally excited with the oppurtunity.
You guys get the positions in the end?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bons
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 12:49:31
Print Post

[re: sjh10] [link to this post]

Yes I believe we both did
Standard User Nrfk24
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 13:15:18
Print Post

Attended Assessment yesterday in Newmarket, received confirmation that I had passed today!
Standard User martthefart1111
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 14:02:40
Print Post

[re: Nrfk24] [link to this post]

any advice on questions etc please
Standard User sjh10
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 21:26:34
Print Post

[re: Bons] [link to this post]

happy days congrats both, looking forward to the 24th now
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Fri 19-May-17 17:31:30
Print Post

Yeah I start on Monday cant wait smile
Standard User ShavedApe
(regular) Fri 19-May-17 17:33:42
Print Post

[re: martthefart1111] [link to this post]

Be yourself, tell the truth because you'll likely be asked for more info on it or at least to elaborate.
Dont panic because they really aren't trying to trip you up its very relaxed to be fair easily one of the best interviews I've been to.
Standard User martthefart1111
(newbie) Fri 19-May-17 18:12:08
Print Post

[re: ShavedApe] [link to this post]

great advice thanks good luck
  Print Thread

Jump to