User comments on ISPs
  >> KCOM (KC, Karoo)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 21:57:30
Print Post

Lightstream Maps

[link to this post]

I got intrigued by the map attached to this tweet:
https://twitter.com/thinkbroadband/status/7945071248...

In particular, I thought it a little strange to see 2 lonely dots in the village of Bilton (just north-east of the city boundary; north-west of Preston village).
https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?tab=...

Why would KCOM offer service at 2 postcodes here without covering the whole village?

So I went looking in detail with KCOM's own postcode checker...

a) The first postcode is HU11 4ED, being the odd numbers of Highfield Crescent.
The checker reports a single property (number 7) as having Lightstream FTTP available. All other properties report availability due in summer 2017 (which is later than any Kcom deployment PR so far).

Number 7 is fed from a telegraph pole that supports a number of other properties on both odd and even (HU11 4EH) sides.

b) The second postcode is HU11 4DR, being all properties on Albemarle Rd.
Again the checker reports a single property with access available. Again with shared poles.

Why would KCOM make lightstream available just a couple of houses, almost alone in the village? It doesn't make sense.

Presumably it is a fault in the KCOM database ... but it makes me wonder how many other postcodes have a similar problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Nov-16 22:35:59
Print Post

Re: Lightstream Maps

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Just checked them and not the majority need access to flag postcode turned off those two postcodes (won't reflect until some point on Wednesday on public site)

On how big an issue see http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?area=... and the history button to show a big dip in August i.e. dig a big sweep across Hull double checking, of course a few always slip through but as we check the new roads they say are live, we usually check surrounding roads to, i.e. further improve data over time.

Majority of effort goes into tracking Openreach

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-16 18:36:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah - I spotted that last sweep in August, as I was about to bring up a problem with some other postcodes inside Hull itself. I hadn't looked at the history to see how big a sweep it was though.

I can understand the focus on Openreach, but KCOM gives an interesting picture of how an FTTP rollout expands.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User miken06
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 19:29:36
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I believe when only one property on a pole shows as available it is usually business users, they popped up in several non-rollout areas probably those who took advantage of the Superfast Britain voucher scheme.
I think there is another situation where it can occur which has happened on my street at the moment, one property can order and has fttp fitted (about 2 weeks after the box was put on the pole) even though the rest of the poles also had the fiber. I've heard speculation that KCOM employees can order before the public so in my case it's probably that.

The site has been updated recently to tell you the target date of availability, it also seems to tell you unannounced areas, not sure how intentional that is but I've seen postcodes with availability dates of Winter/Spring 17/2018.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Nov-16 23:02:17
Print Post

[re: miken06] [link to this post]

Have been wondering as there are often people with speed tests and then a few weeks later availability shows up

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 14:59:26
Print Post

[re: miken06] [link to this post]

What do the boxes on poles look like?

I've now seen postcodes come back with Summer 2017, Autumn 2017 as well as that Winter/Spring 2017/18 tag. None of them are in any of the so-far announced streets.
  Print Thread

Jump to