Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(member) Sun 13-Feb-11 22:29:21
Print Post

Ubuntu trial

[link to this post]

Getting nearly time to do a fresh reinstall of XP sp3 32bit, but first I thought I might give Ubuntu a test run: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download - I will download the 700MB file later tonight and install on an empty external hard drive, formatted NTFS, over usb. Then give it try...

Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences regarding this would be much appreciated smile

4M2.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Feb-11 22:42:24
Print Post

Re: Ubuntu trial

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Although you can install it on an external drive, bear in mind that disk access will be much slower. This might give a false impression of the performance of Ubuntu on your system.
Standard User 4M2
(member) Sun 13-Feb-11 23:04:23
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

AEP,

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK, I have a second internal SATA hardrive that I use for video files (Sony Vegas editing projects) on which I could install Ubuntu - just hope the Ubuntu installation doesn't erase any of those video project files; just to be sure I will back them up first to another drive smile

4M2.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 23:08:59
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Agreed on the external drive Have you already tried the LiveCD (on CD or USB)? This will tell you how well the hardware is recognised before installing anything.

Also note that although it will happily read and write from NTFS, it will want to reformat part of it to a non-Windows format like ext4.

However, if you are planning on wiping the built-in hard drive anyway to reinstall XP, you only need to free up about 10GB for an Ubuntu install. Mine is using as little as 6GB and 1GB of that is music.

Ubuntu will offer to split the drive up for you (it will detect a Windows install and also offer to import stuff from your profiles).

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t Max ADSL
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 23:15:42
Print Post

Ah just seen this.

If you have a second internal drive even better. But I'd still install both OS to the first drive.
For better performance, have Windows put its pagefile on the second drive. You can similarly tell Ubuntu to put a small swap partition there if needed.

Backing up is always a good idea even though Ubuntu won't wipe anything unless you tell it to.

Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 13-Feb-11 23:30:53
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

Any thoughts on how you want to use the new install?

When you mention Sony Vegas what sorts of video formats are you working with?

Don't be discouraged if a few media formats don't play after a fresh install. It will prompt you that it needs to look online for additional plugins or other software the first time you open an mp3 file or visit a web page using flash.

After an install you can have a browse through the Ubuntu software centre to see what else is available. For media I'd recommend you search for some extras like

Gnome MPlayer and/or VLC (plenty of codec support)
Audacity
Cheese (photos and videos with your webcam, if you have one).
Flash Player

It comes with Firefox but you can add Chromium or other web browers if you like having a choice.

Standard User 4M2
(member) Sun 13-Feb-11 23:33:24
Print Post

prizx,

Feel a little reluctant to install Ubuntu on my current system drive just for testing though...

4M2.
Standard User 4M2
(member) Sun 13-Feb-11 23:53:25
Print Post

Video formats are mainly AVCHD (1080 50i and 720 50p,) CineForm HD neoscene AVI (1080 50i and 720 50p) and MainConcept H.264 720 25p. Plus some Lagarith AVI 1080/720 50i/p and 1080/720 25p.

Lagarith AVI will probably be supported by Ubuntu but AVCHD and neoscene could be a problem...

I have a Win7 machine on which I do most of my editing so if Ubuntu doesn't support all of the video formats its not a big problem on the XP machine.

The Chrome browser would be good though - definitely better than IE8 for online HD video playback via the Flash player smile
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Mon 14-Feb-11 00:01:53
Print Post

Well don't let me boss you around smile

Something else to check, is your computer modern enough that th BIOS allows boot from USB - if that is how the external drive is connected? (not all do).

For sure it will feel safer if you are just telling Ubuntu it has a drive all to itself while you try it out.

Be interesting to see what Ubuntu offers when faced with a choice of 2 internal and one external drive. But this question will only arise if you choose the Install Ubuntu option.

The Try Ubutnu option will run (slowly) from CD giving you chance to test hardware without installing anything. In the case the 3 drives will each show up as things you can access while testing.

Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 14-Feb-11 02:01:28
Print Post

Works really well from a usb pen drive - although default trial installaton was with audio muted, took me a while to find the master volume control tongue

DV-AVI and XviD video files play OK but will have to install codecs for all my other HD stuff.

Ubuntu on the usb pen drive can read files off my other two internal SATA drives without any problems and the system does not run slow. Firefox connected to the net faultlessly also.

Looks good smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to