Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 17-Mar-11 21:32:30
Print Post

Considering the dark side - Distro comparison

[link to this post]

Hallo.

I used Unix a little many years ago in college. Partitioning, installation, print server stuff. Nothing much beyond that, and it's been quite a while. I'm considering exploring the world of Unix (or Linux specifically) again, and did a quick test of the zegenie distro chooser and the top results (100% match) are:

Mandriva
OpenSuSE
Ubuntu
Linux Mint

I'm running Vista 64 and would like to setup a dual boot, but if possible would prefer the linux installation on an entirely seperate drive, rather than on a partition of my Windows C drive. I appreciate I might need to allocate a small partition on the C drive to enable a dual boot with linux though (not sure if that's so).

Suggestions, links and opinions on the best things to read and swot for dual boot, and would like opinions on the four candidates please. Treat me as a complete beginner who doesn't wish to learn unix cli if possible. I'm hoping linux has moved on a little in the last ten years. smile

Ta.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Mar-11 21:45:00
Print Post

Re: Considering the dark side - Distro comparison

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

First your choices:

I have tried the first three, and all are excellent. I have found Mandriva to be the most hardware friendly, but SuSE the nicest to use. I'd recommend trying Live CDs of both, and probably Ubuntu as well, to see how they play with your hardware and which you like the look of. In the end it's just personal choice as they are all fine distributions.

Installing on a separate drive is the safest option. If you are paranoid I would suggest disconnecting your Windows drive whilst you install, just so that you cannot possibly make any mistakes. The very easiest way to dual boot is to use your BIOS boot menu (assuming you have one) to choose which drive to boot from. Alternatives are to use the Grub bootloader in Linux (setting the Linux disk as the boot one) to boot both OSes; it requires a fairly simple addition to the menu.

Alternatively, you could set the Windows drive as the boot one and use a program called "EasyBCD" to configure a boot menu (this is the option that I use as a triple-boot setup). In any case there is no need to allocate a partition on your Windows drive for the Linux boot.

Too much to explain in detail in a single post but start with the Live CDs and post back if you have more specific questions. It's much easier than it sounds! And, yes, Linux has moved on quite a bit - you won't recognize it.
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Mar-11 21:52:13
Print Post

why do you want to try Linux (or other Unixes)?

I'm not being facetious, it does make a difference.

If you want to try some of the latest features in a reasonably stable and user friendly way I would suggest Ubuntu, or one of it's related distro's (kubuntu xubuntu mythbuntu etc)

If you want an operating system that is not necessarily bleeding edge, but is rock solid, and has a bewildering array of available software Debian is a great way to go.

Basically your best bet is to try and find live disks of the distributions you want to try.

They will be slow as they are running from CD (or DVD) and using much of the system memory to load changeable features that would normally be stored on disk. But they will give you a flavour of what you want to do.

Another feather in the cap for Debian is that it can install on many different architectures, and with the new version, Debian 6 (Squeeze), it even has BSD ports, so if you don't want linux you can have the BSD kernel instead. Although that probably isn't important to you just yet.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:07:33
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

Cheers AEP (good to know we can seperate FC from the rest of this place wink

Craig:

Two reasons. First, it's something I want to re-explore, on the grounds of whether or not the usability of Linux nowadays is in keeping with my patience. I can 'do' most of the things required in unix, but generally found it to be non-user friendly in the past and less 'fun'.

If it is the case that I can get on with a lot more, I might consider it instead of Windows in future. Basically I liked W98SE, then eventually I liked W2K Pro. I got used to XP, and am now getting used to Vista. Frankly I don't want to spend the next two years enjoying Vista then having to change to Win 7 or whatever only to spend the best part of two years learning every liitle trick to get the system to be as fast as it already should be.

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that the programmers at Microsoft are less and less worried about peoples' disk space (more so than ever!), and dislike the idea that I have to have 40GB just for a boot drive. A few examples:

My winsxs folder is 15GB.

I had an outlook.bck file in my outlook folder which was around 1.5GB and the outlook.pst file was of a similar size. After deleting the .bck and compressing the .pst file I had a total of 36MB of space used!!! Microsoft should be writing software to inform users of such things. I firmly believe they allow their OSs to bloat as they get used, so that the average user upgrades to another OS.

I'm not an MS hater. One thing I'll be interested in is if I can run the MS Office suite in Linux. I guess I'll have to get a linux-specific version. Maybe in the future I can run a barebones Windows installation on a virtual drive or similar. Lots of options, so the first thing is check out the distros.

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:09:11
Print Post

Linux has come on dramatically over the last 10 years. Can't comment on the distros as I've only played with Suse and Ubuntu briefly. I use Debian.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:12:10
Print Post

The OpenOffice (now LibreOffice) suite is meant to be compatible with Microsoft.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:15:27
Print Post

good to know we can separate FC from the rest of this place
I never take Internet forums personally - that way lies madness.

Linux is certainly a lot more efficient space-wise than Windows; and it's a lot more upfront about what's going on. But, it is different and that's the problem that many people have with it. You have to go with the flow and not try to force it to be like Windows. Sure there's a learning curve but nothing worthwhile comes for free (well Linux does, but a different sort of free).

I'm not sure about Office in Windows - you'll have to check out the Wine Project for that. But OpenOffice is a fine alternative. And it's not, as far as I'm concerned, a games platform. Anyway, it does no harm to try a Live CD (bearing in mind that it's going to be slow) and see what you make of it.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:17:18
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Yes, I have OpenOffice on my Windows (Vista) laptop. It's fine for most things, but advanced Excel features are a little lacking. Beyond basic Word/Excel I haven't really explored the suite.

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:29:03
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Now downloading Mint, Ubuntu and SuSE.

Mandriva's website is blank for me. Just me?

http://www.mandrivalinux.org/

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Mar-11 22:31:52
Print Post

In that case I suggest a gnome desktop (Ubuntu Desktop Edition currently uses Gnome, but the next release probably won't). KDE keeps changing it's mind too much.

That said most of the main distros I believe include gnome.

For running Office you could try Wine, but having no experience of the two together I cannot say how well they work together, or you could try virtualbox if you're desperate tongue

Linux has come a long way, even in the last few years.

Compare Debian 6 to Debian 5.*

Just two years between the releases and massive improvements already.

* Sorry, bit of a debian fan, use that or Ubuntu at work.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to