Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Wed 06-Jul-11 21:01:34
Print Post

Is it worth me getting Linux on my old laptop?

[link to this post]

Old is a basic term, but its a pentium D laptop with 3 gigs of ram and currently runs Win 7 ok(did have Vista but it ran bad on it)

I never use it and gave it to my parents about a month after getting it since their desktop broke but now they have a new one they gave me it back.

So all its going to be used for is web browsing, emulators and maybe the odd movie when travelling so nothing intensive at all.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 06-Jul-11 21:08:02
Print Post

Re: Is it worth me getting Linux on my old laptop?

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Yes.

I have Linux running on a old Windows 98 laptop with 48MB (yes megabyte) of RAM.

Try a live CD to check that the hardware is recognized.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Jul-11 21:11:36
Print Post

I have Fedora 15 running on my old Dell laptop. Works very well

Have fun

Cruddas

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jul-11 22:24:25
Print Post

It's a pretty subjective question tbh. You won't get many benefits from running linux as a P4 with 3gig is plenty for W7. You might save a little HD space I guess, but then there's the learning curve to consider. If you're not interested in learning linux, don't bother.
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Wed 06-Jul-11 23:14:22
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Its not a P4, its a pentium dual core just a lower end one(was sent the wrong one by mistake but couldnt return for correct one since I lost the box)

It seemed to struggle on Vista quite a lot with it hanging up and the hd sounding like the paging file was in use, after I went to Windows 7 it didnt seem as bad.

I installed Ubuntuu onto a friends laptop and it seemed pretty perfect for me since I am quite OCD with my pc and reinstalling Windows every 4-10 weeks as it slows down a tiny bit and hdd usage magicallty increases over a fresh install even with not much on.

Plus its a pain updating Windows all the time where with Ubuntuu I can just install a new copy every so often.

But still I have no real experience with Linux but I do have a computer society at uni where all the guys use linux.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jul-11 23:31:48
Print Post

K, well take a look at the different distros first. You'll probably prefer ubuntu but kubuntu and xubuntu are worth a look too. Download them all and try the live disks.
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Fri 08-Jul-11 23:29:03
Print Post

Would say go for it. If sound and printers are required it may pay to check a little more carefully as these have been issues for me (in my ignorance). Kubuntu/Ubuntu certainly seems to make more efficient use of the available hardware though.

My little Acer aspire works under Vista but is prepared to do a lot more under Ubuntu. Skype is driving me up the wall though, and the learning curve is formidable.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-11 14:46:36
Print Post

Linux Mint! I love it, in fact as I write this just upgrading to Mint 11 smile

Andrew
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Tue 12-Jul-11 16:00:40
Print Post

4-10 weeks? Damn, you must be abusing your PC.

Get an SSD.
Standard User Old_Git
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Oct-11 08:36:34
Print Post

Yes! I have Ubuntu installed on this Compaq Mini Netbook with 2GB RAM. It originally came with Windows XP installed. After a year, I tried Ubuntu from a pen drive. The sound needed a quick command, found on Ubuntu support forums, and I could even with a tweak make the webcam, and Google Earth work. In short, everything could easily be made to work. So I blasted XP from the hard drive, and installed Ubuntu.

Ubuntu loads much faster than Windows XP + AV etc. It runs faster, smoother, is perfectly stable. I've now run it for nearly a year, and absolutely no regrets. I use it for browsing, movies/TV, work documents, and also a lot of photo editing using Gimp.

I've since installed Ubuntu on my daughter's laptop, and Xubuntu on an older laptop -all successful.

My recommendation though is to try Linux distros first from a pen drive. It does take an age to load that way, but can be used to test the hard ware.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to