Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Nov-11 02:38:14
Print Post

port forwarding on Mint

[link to this post]

I thought I'd give linux mint a try, but port forwarding doesn't seem to be working. can you see me shows my ports as closed. I'm far from a techie, but I thought I could at least forward ports! I was previously using windows 7, so guess the router is set up for that. But as I understand it that shouldn't matter anyway. Any thing spring to mind? This is driving me crazy. The internal IP is the same, I checked. I'm using linux mint katya, be and TG585v7

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Nov-11 07:08:55
Print Post

Re: port forwarding on Mint

[re: imbsuk] [link to this post]

Nothing to do with your router. I suspect you just need to configure the firewall on Mint to allow those por ts through.

Edit: Forgot to add - of course, you need some program to be listening on those ports! Which ports are you forwarding?

Edited by AEP (Sat 19-Nov-11 07:11:22)

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 19-Nov-11 07:18:26
Print Post

Make sure iptables chains are flushed, and any iptables (firewalling) services are not set to run at start up.

CentOS does this by default and it catches me out nearly every time, before I finally realise I need to disable it all. I can see why they enable it by default though - they effectively lock the machine down so nothing external can connect to it, which from a security aspect, is the sensible thing to do for an initial install.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Nov-11 22:31:46
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Ah, flushing the iptable chains, of course. I guess I'll have to do some googling. I'm sure it's not as difficult as it sounds...

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 20-Nov-11 07:15:15
Print Post

Restart your computer that will flush all your tables!

Restate your problem on the www adding linux in the search.
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 20-Nov-11 14:24:14
Print Post

Hi imbsuk,

We still don't know what you are trying to forward to what (some program or service?) - can you elaborate?

Port forwarding rules are generally something you setup on your router and that would not care what OS is on the computer or device you are forwarding those ports to.

So when you say "port forwarding on Mint" can we just double-check you are not actually using Mint as a router and trying to forward stuff through Mint to another computer?

If the router is still forwarding the ports to your PC then not having used Mint I don't know if that enables a firewall by default.
On Ubuntu at least it wasn't on by default, and if needed you could control the firewall using a GUI (e.g. Gufw) or command line options
Bash
sudo ufw --help

Other possibilities include that:

on your router, does port forwarding specifies the destination computer by (host)name rather than local IP address, and does the computer have a different hostname now that you have installed Mint?
or
was the previous setup using UPnP where the computer would tell the router what ports it wanted forwarding (automatically and dynamically)

While UPnP can make things easier, it does mean you trusting that there are no dodgy programs on any computer in your network that might open other ports without your knowledge.

However until we know more it's hard to point you to the next step.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k
  Print Thread

Jump to