Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jac2285
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:14:29
Print Post

Insalling Mint on seperate partition

[link to this post]

Hi, looking for some help in installing Mint on a laptop that is running XP, I've set up a seperate partition as I want to keep it clear of my Windows XP, I have downloaded and made an ISO disk and want some advice on how to go about installing to the second partition. I'm new to Linux so need a very simple set of instructions, if anyone can help it would be very helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.
Standard User diggsy
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:21:52
Print Post

Re: Insalling Mint on seperate partition

[re: jac2285] [link to this post]

Can't go far wrong with the official documentation - http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Use Mint myself on a seperate usb hard drive, one of the more user friendly Linux distros.
Standard User jac2285
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:33:10
Print Post

[re: diggsy] [link to this post]

Hi Diggsy, thanks for that, exactly what I need, I did look at the Mint Forum but it was all way over my head, again thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User diggsy
(member) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:54:17
Print Post

Your welcome. If you haven't done so already and your existing XP installation is precious to you then maybe look into backing up existing partition in case of accident. http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup... is quite handy, others are available. Saved my bacon a few times in the past when I was a bit too cavalier playing about.
Also look into how to repair the boot sector by fixing the master boot record if things go wrong http://tips4pc.com/articles/computer%20troubleshooti...
Standard User jac2285
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-11 09:40:27
Print Post

[re: diggsy] [link to this post]

I have everything backed up and I'm pretty handy with Windows, already used the MBR recovery several times.

Again thanks for your input.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Nov-11 09:50:25
Print Post

If you are worried about it, you could always try a trial run in Virtualbox. The important thing when creating a second partition is that it should be left as free space in windows and then made a logical partition in the Mint setup, then split into at least a partition for root and a partition for swap. You should not need to worry about booting, as grub 2 (which I'm fairly sure mint uses) has OS detection, so it'll find your Windows partition on boot.

Jump to