Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Feb-12 15:28:16
Print Post

Toshiba NB100-11R

[link to this post]

I am new to linux and trying out MINT. A mate has given me his old Toshiba NB100-11R which has Ubuntu 8.04.1. I have a few questions if someone can help me out.

1. Is is possible to download and install MINT on it instead of the Ubuntu 8.04.1currently installed.

2. Upgrade to the current version of Ubuntu.

3. And if I did either will I have problems with the divers for the integrated webcam etc.

Thank you.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-12 15:44:41
Print Post

Re: Toshiba NB100-11R

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If there's nothing on the Tosh box that you want, why not download both distros and try them out. It doesn't take long to install Linux and I think they both support "live" versions (i.e. run from DVD.)

If the Tosh box is fairly old, you may need to go for one of the "alternative" Ubuntu distros such as KDE, LXDE or XFCE since the graphics card may not have enough juice to run the standard Ubuntu distro (which uses Gnome.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________
‘Life would be so wonderful if only we knew what to do with it.’ - Greta Garbo
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 09-Feb-12 15:46:08
Print Post

Assuming that the laptop has a CD drive I suggest you download live CDs for the distributions you are interested in. You can then boot from the live CD and check that the hardware is detected and enabled. If you are happy you can then install the desired distribution from the live CD.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Feb-12 15:55:59
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

It is a netbook.
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Thu 09-Feb-12 16:11:41
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Yes start by downloading the ISOs for things you want to try.

If the laptop doesn't have a CD drive you can either connect a portable one (USB)
or boot up from the live CD on another machine - many live CDs have built-in program Startup Disk Creator or similar to make a bootable USB stick.

Windows and Mac users can also make bootable USBs using UNetbootin. This program offers to download the ISO for you (if you don't already have it).

Booting from USB is often faster for trying / installing especially for netbooks without CD. You need a minimum 1GB stick (of which up to 800MB will be used for the bootable OS image), and the USB stick is reusable so you can update it over time and always have an OS in your pocket.

If the laptop has less than 1GB RAM also look at Lubuntu (11.10, Desktop, the first option is 32-bit if not sure) it starts small but you can install additional Ubuntu stuff if needed.

If you have made up your mind by the end of April you will have a choice of the new releases (some of which are LTS meaning updates will be supplied for longer).

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-12 20:17:12
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
If the Tosh box is fairly old, you may need to go for one of the "alternative" Ubuntu distros such as KDE, LXDE or XFCE since the graphics card may not have enough juice to run the standard Ubuntu distro (which uses Gnome.)
Lol.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-12 20:19:10
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

I quite like it - I use Kubuntu

______________________________________________________________________________________________
‘Life would be so wonderful if only we knew what to do with it.’ - Greta Garbo
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-12 22:15:01
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Yes, but it's hardly a lightweight alternative to gnome, as your sentence suggested.

(Unregistered)Fri 10-Feb-12 08:14:13
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I shall download and try them before deciding.
Standard User JNeuhoff
(experienced) Wed 15-Feb-12 17:44:34
Print Post

I got the same kind of 2nd hand netbook today, and will try to update its Ubuntu 8.04 to a more recent version. By the looks of it, this old version doesn't have a decent Wifi driver pre-installed, but I am certain this can be resolved.

It should be possible to do a flawless upgrade to the latest Ubuntu for this netbook.

J.Neuhoff - MHC Web Design

Edited by JNeuhoff (Wed 15-Feb-12 18:05:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to