Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Oct-13 20:25:10
Print Post

best email client

[link to this post]

Ok, I know there is no such thing as the best, because one persons opinion is different to another.
We already know about thunderbird, but that is getting a bit slow in places.
i having a muck around with Geary, which is super fast, but pretty limited.

What others do people use?

I am back in the linux game now, with Mint installed on my main desktop and laptop, sadly i have to dual boot with windows on the desktop, but I am finding that I am using mint a lot more than Windows.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User AndyS
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Oct-13 11:16:09
Print Post

Re: best email client

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Ok, I know there is no such thing as the best, because one persons opinion is different to another.

Not only that but how you use email will make a big difference too.

What others do people use?

I've never managed to find what I'd consider to be the perfect mail client but at the moment I'm using Claws Mail. It took a bit of tinkering to get a setup I was happy with (both functionally and aesthetically) but the reward was worth the effort.

Andy

| ZeN Active | Vigor2820Vn | 8 IP subnet |
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-13 21:48:55
Print Post

[re: AndyS] [link to this post]

Thanks. Geary is nice, but pretty limited, it is quick and works well, but need filters. i use increadimail on windows and have done for years. Claws seems to be pretty popular, I will have a look at that thanks.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Oct-13 10:50:01
Print Post

got claws, it is ok, but I can't find the option to display emails as they are meant to be displayed? i know some people don't like HTML in emails, but that is how most emails are sent these days.

Adrian

Standard User AndyS
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Oct-13 12:16:04
Print Post

I'm not a great fan of reading my email in 6pt neon-pink Comic Sans but each to their own. wink

Have a look at the plugins page for ways to extend the core functionality. The Fancy plugin should provide you with a HTML mail viewer based on Webkit. Once you have that installed there are some options in the Message View -> Text options section of the preferences to control how HTML mail is handled.

I don't know how much of a tinkerer you are but I also found an tool called Clawsker handy for exposing a number of hidden preferences that controlled the look of the interface (amongst other things). By default Claws does a few things like alternate colour stripes in the message list which doesn't fit with my overall desktop theme but with the help of Clawsker and an alternative icon theme I was able to achieve a more harmonious result.

Andy

| ZeN Active | Vigor2820Vn | 8 IP subnet |
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Oct-13 17:02:25
Print Post

To be honest, I used to use claws, and it is very good.... but since then I have used Mutt... and once you get used to it..., there is now going back. I mean, even check your mail without X is worth it's wait in gold.

Nick
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 18:56:45
Print Post

I can not get the fancy plugin to work, it is in place and active, but I have no idea how to display anything with it.

I prefer plain emails to be honest, but some of the stuff I get is in HTML.

Thanks for the info anyway, i will have a better look over the weekend.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 19:00:01
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
To be honest, I used to use claws, and it is very good.... but since then I have used Mutt... and once you get used to it..., there is now going back. I mean, even check your mail without X is worth it's wait in gold.

Nick

wow, that reminds me so much of pine smile

Adrian

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Oct-13 19:00:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
wow, that reminds me so much of pine smile
I started using Pine in about 1994 and now use Alpine as my email client smile

At least Pine is not Elm wink

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Tue 22-Oct-13 19:01:18)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Oct-13 19:53:18
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

And of course the pine editor was pico which I used all the time - now I use nano all the time.

Nick
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to