Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 12-Oct-13 20:24:23
Print Post

Suitable PC?

[link to this post]

Although I'm currently fairly happy using Macs and OS X, I can foresee a time when Apple finally get up my nose once too often... so I think some preparatory work getting the hang of Linux might be in order tongue

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS seems the most likely candidate, but I need a PC (with no pre-installed Windows!!) to put it on. I don't want to spend too much, but I don't want cheap and cheerful either and I'm several years out of touch with the market.

I've been looking at the Zoostorm machines from Amazon, eg this one. Are they any good?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Sat 12-Oct-13 20:27:58)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 12-Oct-13 23:18:02
Print Post

Re: Suitable PC?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I have one of the Zoostorm's here a guy bought on my suggestion. It's a tin box with a motherboard, PSU, HDD and DVD drive. Not a lot to say really. No USB3, two RAM sockets one in use, GA-H61M-DS2 DVI motherboard from Gigabyte - might even be supported by MacOS you never know.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 12-Oct-13 23:51:12
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
It's a tin box with a motherboard, PSU, HDD and DVD drive...
Pretty standard PC then tongue

Not too bothered about twiddly bits like USB-3, I've only got 2 other bits of kit that can handle it and they're both in use on the iMac.

It's got a reasonably quick processor and enough RAM for a practice machine, which is what I want it for. If I decide in due course to switch to Linux I'll get something meatier, I just didn't want to end up with a make that had any sort of reputation for producing lemons.

Thanks Phil.

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:31:46
Print Post

If you just want to experiment with Linux you might want to consider running it in a VM on one of your Macs. Ubuntu runs fine in VirtualBox on a Mac.

If you really want a separate computer I can recommend the ones from Novatech (I go for the bare bones ones as I always have hard disks, graphics cards, and optical drives to spare). A little more expensive, but they use good components and can be bought without OS.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:37:33
Print Post

it fired up ok with Mint Cinnamon Live DVD to do some data recovery work. No parallel IDE disk connections, SATA only inc DVD but that's fairly common now.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Sun 13-Oct-13 11:58:43)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:39:54
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I think you must mean SATA only?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:59:06
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I think you must mean SATA only?
i did, thanks., Fixed.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 13-Oct-13 15:18:39
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Had a bit of luck... over a year ago I lent someone an old Acer laptop (Vista) for as long as they needed it, I'd completely forgotten about it but I got it back today.

It's a bit of a wreck really- only a 1.6GHz Core2 Duo with 1GB of RAM, but 32-bit Ubuntu installed without problems (ignoring an hour spent trying to find my DVDRs to burn an install disc crazy). The battery is shot and the touchpad works when it feels like it- a 13 amp socket and a USB mouse sort those two out. But it works and it'll save me 300-odd quid so it'll do for a month or two smile

(I'll have a look at Novatech, that's a name I remember from my PC days, thanks.)

Initial impressions are mostly favourable... slow, but I can blame the hardware for that (it's quicker than Vista was!). It "feels" not too unlike OS X in many ways, I think my biggest problem is going to be finding everything (apps and settings), and then putting them where I want them tongue

And finding another browser... I've never really liked FireFox.

Right, I'm off for some more playtime grin

Bill

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 14:50:38
Print Post

I'll second Novatech. Last few I have bought components from them and built but they do some good barebones kits or fully built PCs (without OS).

Not sure what their delivery service is like though as one of the key reasons I use them is that I live a 20 minute drive away.

Still my current gaming rig is going well as are the Novatech laptops (although I wouldn't want to try and put Linux on one of their laptops as they are rebadged from other brands and drivers can be difficult to source). My brother's and nephew's PCs are both also going strong and they were both custom builds from Novatech sourced components.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 14-Oct-13 15:53:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I looked at Novatech, as AEP says they're a bit more expensive but for the one I'm looking at you get a slightly higher performance CPU (Intel Core i5-4430 rather than 3330) and more ports than the ZooStorm, albeit a bit less RAM. So not a lot in it for value for money.

I might think about a self-build, I've done it before...

Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to