Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 16:37:34
Print Post

Re: Suitable PC?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I used to be cautious of self builds but it is so blindingly easy these days they just seem to work. Bit different to when I used to do proc changes for 386/486 and it was just a matter of using brute force to remove/insert the chips - not for the faint hearted (and no I am too young to have had to solder chips in).

Although for lower end it isn't always worth it (gaming PCs I like to know exactly what is in them and spend weeks specing up before placing the order).
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 19:03:51
Print Post

That Zoostorm will do fine, i know a couple of people that got a Zoostorm and they seems to be reliable.

As for linux, I suggest you try Mint, not Ubuntu. Mint Debian have rolling updates, standard mint which is based on Ubuntu don't, so if they do a major update, you got to reinstall.
Ubuntu is the same as well.

I used to like ubuntu, but they seems to have forgotten where they came from and have removed all references to Linux from their site and software, also unity is linked to amazon and is spyware.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 17-Oct-13 19:31:08
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Thanks for that- I haven't liked Ubuntu as much as I hoped I would so I've been looking at Mint. It also has the advantage that the 64-bit version only needs 1GB of RAM, which is all the somewhat aged laptop has got, Ubuntu64 needs 2GB (so they say).

I find some of the options not well explained... eg- what's the difference between the MATE, Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce desktops?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Thu 17-Oct-13 19:54:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 19:53:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Thanks for that- I haven't liked Ubuntu as much as I hoped I would so I've been looking at Mint. It also has the advantage that the 64-bit version only needs 1GB of RAM, which is all the somewhat aged laptop has got, Ubuntu64 needs 2GB (so they say).

I find some of the options not well explained... eg- what's the difference between the MATE and Cinnamon desktops?

Just a different look I think, but could be more I suppose.
Cinnamon is mints own baby, i have no idea who produces mate.
Best thing is to have a look on you tube to look at the difference. I prefer cinnamon.
I think unity on ubuntu is very resource hungry, when i stuck it on my laptop, it was really slow, Mint is a lot better.

KDE desktop is nice, but there are some problems which annoyed me.
if you are not doing anything important on your computer at the moment you can try different distros and desktops, if it goes belly up just reinstall.

Make me wonder why do you think Apple will upset you? I like OSx, I would love a Mac, but the price is to high. Ms have gone strange with Windows, which is why I am going over to Linux, if I could find a decent video editor, i think windows would be gone.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 17-Oct-13 20:12:32
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Just a different look I think, but could be more I suppose.
Cinnamon is mints own baby, i have no idea who produces mate.
Best thing is to have a look on you tube to look at the difference. I prefer cinnamon.
They recommend to d/l MATE if you don't know which one to use, I'll probably try that and Cinnamon.
Make me wonder why do you think Apple will upset you?
They already have, but not yet enough to drive me away tongue

It's just their "We know what's best for our customers" attitude that annoys me. Examples- I always used Mac Mail as my RSS client, it disappeared without warning in Mountain Lion... and they've "updated" the OS use a non-standard method of choosing IPv4 or IPv6 on a dual stack site, with no user option to over-ride it and use the proper method (ie pick v6). It just picks whichever is fastest, which is fine unless you're trying to use a speedtest to see why your IPv6 is running slowly crazy

There's other little things too, they seem to unerring pick some of my favourite bits to remove mad

I like OS X as well (and there's no chance of me going back to Windows smile), but I'll be giving Maverick a very close look before upgrading to it, and as support for ML and earlier won't last forever it might be a good point to switch OS's.

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Thu 17-Oct-13 21:36:57)

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Fri 18-Oct-13 18:55:41
Print Post

It's just their "We know what's best for our customers" attitude that annoys me.

You probably don't want ubuntu then, it's leader seem to have the same disease..

I'd try one of the Xfce distributions (such as xubuntu) and probably 32 bit on older machines as it tends to require less resources

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 18-Oct-13 21:01:41
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kenneth:
You probably don't want ubuntu then, it's leader seem to have the same disease..
Yes, I sort of got that impression, especially after some browsing around to get a feel for other opinions.

I tried Adrian's suggestion of Mint Debian as the 64-bit version was supposed to be OK in 1GB, it seemed to install OK but some applications (Firefox and Thunderbird at least) wouldn't start, wouldn't re-install and Opera wouldn't install either... these days, a computer without a browser is a doorstop crazy

It didn't seem to like the network card either- when I tried to set a static IP it dropped the connection and refused to pick it up again, some error about "unmanaged device" iirc mad

It also reminded me of Windows somehow, so back to Ubuntu, 64-bit this time. It's not overly happy in 1GB, but it (99%) recognises the hardware and at least everything works (so far), even if rather slowly.

I'm not that keen on it though... I'm beginning to think that I might be best waiting until the credit card stops trembling after the last couple of months (don't ask tongue) and get a more recent machine. Then I can try out the various flavours (including xubuntu, thanks for the suggestion) without wondering whether it's the OS or the hardware that's getting in the way.

And if I decide Linux isn't for me after all, I'll see if I can turn it into a Hackintosh smile

Bill

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Fri 18-Oct-13 21:48:46
Print Post

I tried Adrian's suggestion of Mint Debian as the 64-bit version was supposed to be OK in 1GB, it seemed to install OK but some applications (Firefox and Thunderbird at least) wouldn't start, wouldn't re-install and Opera wouldn't install either... these days, a computer without a browser is a doorstop crazy

I am sure Lynx will work wink .I tend to run Linux in VMWare or Virtual box virtual machines and usually seems happy in 1G or less, but then I rarely push them hard and most likely in shell script or browser.

I'm not that keen on it though... I'm beginning to think that I might be best waiting until the credit card stops trembling after the last couple of months (don't ask tongue) and get a more recent machine.

I used to use Ubuntu for all secure stuff - but I now migrated to Mint LTS (Long term support) (not the Debian versions for such things.

funny my card has taken a big hit in last week - but not as much as my savings account is going to take (the joys of buying new home)

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-13 10:06:27
Print Post

If you are still having problems then you might like to look at SuSE and/or Fedora. I've never had any problems with either of them (I hate Ubuntu and its derivatives). Go for an Xfce4 desktop, particularly on a lower powered machine; Gnome and KDE seem to have caught the Apple/Microsoft bloat disease. It's good enough for Linus so it's good enough for me.

Of course, real men use Gentoo and masochists play with LFS, both of which will give you a far more customized and responsive setup.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-13 10:56:05
Print Post

They recommend to d/l MATE if you don't know which one to use, I'll probably try that and Cinnamon.
It is down to personal choice at the end of the day. i have tried a load before sticking with what I have got.

It's just their "We know what's best for our customers" attitude that annoys me. Examples- I always used Mac Mail as my RSS client, it disappeared without warning in Mountain Lion... and they've "updated" the OS use a non-standard method of choosing IPv4 or IPv6 on a dual stack site, with no user option to over-ride it and use the proper method (ie pick v6). It just picks whichever is fastest, which is fine unless you're trying to use a speedtest to see why your IPv6 is running slowly crazy

There's other little things too, they seem to unerring pick some of my favourite bits to remove mad

I like OS X as well (and there's no chance of me going back to Windows smile), but I'll be giving Maverick a very close look before upgrading to it, and as support for ML and earlier won't last forever it might be a good point to switch OS's.

Sounds like Micrsoft to be honest and their Metro UI, while 8.1 do help with some of it, they still have not really listened to the public.

A friend of mine who have 4 modern macs have stayed with a older OSx, I think it is about 3 behind as she don't like the way Apple is going.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to