Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 12-Oct-13 20:24:23
Print Post

Suitable PC?

[link to this post]

Although I'm currently fairly happy using Macs and OS X, I can foresee a time when Apple finally get up my nose once too often... so I think some preparatory work getting the hang of Linux might be in order tongue

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS seems the most likely candidate, but I need a PC (with no pre-installed Windows!!) to put it on. I don't want to spend too much, but I don't want cheap and cheerful either and I'm several years out of touch with the market.

I've been looking at the Zoostorm machines from Amazon, eg this one. Are they any good?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Sat 12-Oct-13 20:27:58)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 12-Oct-13 23:18:02
Print Post

Re: Suitable PC?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I have one of the Zoostorm's here a guy bought on my suggestion. It's a tin box with a motherboard, PSU, HDD and DVD drive. Not a lot to say really. No USB3, two RAM sockets one in use, GA-H61M-DS2 DVI motherboard from Gigabyte - might even be supported by MacOS you never know.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 12-Oct-13 23:51:12
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
It's a tin box with a motherboard, PSU, HDD and DVD drive...
Pretty standard PC then tongue

Not too bothered about twiddly bits like USB-3, I've only got 2 other bits of kit that can handle it and they're both in use on the iMac.

It's got a reasonably quick processor and enough RAM for a practice machine, which is what I want it for. If I decide in due course to switch to Linux I'll get something meatier, I just didn't want to end up with a make that had any sort of reputation for producing lemons.

Thanks Phil.

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:31:46
Print Post

If you just want to experiment with Linux you might want to consider running it in a VM on one of your Macs. Ubuntu runs fine in VirtualBox on a Mac.

If you really want a separate computer I can recommend the ones from Novatech (I go for the bare bones ones as I always have hard disks, graphics cards, and optical drives to spare). A little more expensive, but they use good components and can be bought without OS.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:37:33
Print Post

it fired up ok with Mint Cinnamon Live DVD to do some data recovery work. No parallel IDE disk connections, SATA only inc DVD but that's fairly common now.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Sun 13-Oct-13 11:58:43)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:39:54
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I think you must mean SATA only?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Oct-13 11:59:06
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I think you must mean SATA only?
i did, thanks., Fixed.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 13-Oct-13 15:18:39
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Had a bit of luck... over a year ago I lent someone an old Acer laptop (Vista) for as long as they needed it, I'd completely forgotten about it but I got it back today.

It's a bit of a wreck really- only a 1.6GHz Core2 Duo with 1GB of RAM, but 32-bit Ubuntu installed without problems (ignoring an hour spent trying to find my DVDRs to burn an install disc crazy). The battery is shot and the touchpad works when it feels like it- a 13 amp socket and a USB mouse sort those two out. But it works and it'll save me 300-odd quid so it'll do for a month or two smile

(I'll have a look at Novatech, that's a name I remember from my PC days, thanks.)

Initial impressions are mostly favourable... slow, but I can blame the hardware for that (it's quicker than Vista was!). It "feels" not too unlike OS X in many ways, I think my biggest problem is going to be finding everything (apps and settings), and then putting them where I want them tongue

And finding another browser... I've never really liked FireFox.

Right, I'm off for some more playtime grin

Bill

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 14:50:38
Print Post

I'll second Novatech. Last few I have bought components from them and built but they do some good barebones kits or fully built PCs (without OS).

Not sure what their delivery service is like though as one of the key reasons I use them is that I live a 20 minute drive away.

Still my current gaming rig is going well as are the Novatech laptops (although I wouldn't want to try and put Linux on one of their laptops as they are rebadged from other brands and drivers can be difficult to source). My brother's and nephew's PCs are both also going strong and they were both custom builds from Novatech sourced components.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 14-Oct-13 15:53:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I looked at Novatech, as AEP says they're a bit more expensive but for the one I'm looking at you get a slightly higher performance CPU (Intel Core i5-4430 rather than 3330) and more ports than the ZooStorm, albeit a bit less RAM. So not a lot in it for value for money.

I might think about a self-build, I've done it before...

Bill

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 16:37:34
Print Post

I used to be cautious of self builds but it is so blindingly easy these days they just seem to work. Bit different to when I used to do proc changes for 386/486 and it was just a matter of using brute force to remove/insert the chips - not for the faint hearted (and no I am too young to have had to solder chips in).

Although for lower end it isn't always worth it (gaming PCs I like to know exactly what is in them and spend weeks specing up before placing the order).
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 19:03:51
Print Post

That Zoostorm will do fine, i know a couple of people that got a Zoostorm and they seems to be reliable.

As for linux, I suggest you try Mint, not Ubuntu. Mint Debian have rolling updates, standard mint which is based on Ubuntu don't, so if they do a major update, you got to reinstall.
Ubuntu is the same as well.

I used to like ubuntu, but they seems to have forgotten where they came from and have removed all references to Linux from their site and software, also unity is linked to amazon and is spyware.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 17-Oct-13 19:31:08
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Thanks for that- I haven't liked Ubuntu as much as I hoped I would so I've been looking at Mint. It also has the advantage that the 64-bit version only needs 1GB of RAM, which is all the somewhat aged laptop has got, Ubuntu64 needs 2GB (so they say).

I find some of the options not well explained... eg- what's the difference between the MATE, Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce desktops?

Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 17-Oct-13 19:54:29)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Oct-13 19:53:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Thanks for that- I haven't liked Ubuntu as much as I hoped I would so I've been looking at Mint. It also has the advantage that the 64-bit version only needs 1GB of RAM, which is all the somewhat aged laptop has got, Ubuntu64 needs 2GB (so they say).

I find some of the options not well explained... eg- what's the difference between the MATE and Cinnamon desktops?

Just a different look I think, but could be more I suppose.
Cinnamon is mints own baby, i have no idea who produces mate.
Best thing is to have a look on you tube to look at the difference. I prefer cinnamon.
I think unity on ubuntu is very resource hungry, when i stuck it on my laptop, it was really slow, Mint is a lot better.

KDE desktop is nice, but there are some problems which annoyed me.
if you are not doing anything important on your computer at the moment you can try different distros and desktops, if it goes belly up just reinstall.

Make me wonder why do you think Apple will upset you? I like OSx, I would love a Mac, but the price is to high. Ms have gone strange with Windows, which is why I am going over to Linux, if I could find a decent video editor, i think windows would be gone.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 17-Oct-13 20:12:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Just a different look I think, but could be more I suppose.
Cinnamon is mints own baby, i have no idea who produces mate.
Best thing is to have a look on you tube to look at the difference. I prefer cinnamon.
They recommend to d/l MATE if you don't know which one to use, I'll probably try that and Cinnamon.
Make me wonder why do you think Apple will upset you?
They already have, but not yet enough to drive me away tongue

It's just their "We know what's best for our customers" attitude that annoys me. Examples- I always used Mac Mail as my RSS client, it disappeared without warning in Mountain Lion... and they've "updated" the OS use a non-standard method of choosing IPv4 or IPv6 on a dual stack site, with no user option to over-ride it and use the proper method (ie pick v6). It just picks whichever is fastest, which is fine unless you're trying to use a speedtest to see why your IPv6 is running slowly crazy

There's other little things too, they seem to unerring pick some of my favourite bits to remove mad

I like OS X as well (and there's no chance of me going back to Windows smile), but I'll be giving Maverick a very close look before upgrading to it, and as support for ML and earlier won't last forever it might be a good point to switch OS's.

Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 17-Oct-13 21:36:57)

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Fri 18-Oct-13 18:55:41
Print Post

It's just their "We know what's best for our customers" attitude that annoys me.

You probably don't want ubuntu then, it's leader seem to have the same disease..

I'd try one of the Xfce distributions (such as xubuntu) and probably 32 bit on older machines as it tends to require less resources

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 18-Oct-13 21:01:41
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kenneth:
You probably don't want ubuntu then, it's leader seem to have the same disease..
Yes, I sort of got that impression, especially after some browsing around to get a feel for other opinions.

I tried Adrian's suggestion of Mint Debian as the 64-bit version was supposed to be OK in 1GB, it seemed to install OK but some applications (Firefox and Thunderbird at least) wouldn't start, wouldn't re-install and Opera wouldn't install either... these days, a computer without a browser is a doorstop crazy

It didn't seem to like the network card either- when I tried to set a static IP it dropped the connection and refused to pick it up again, some error about "unmanaged device" iirc mad

It also reminded me of Windows somehow, so back to Ubuntu, 64-bit this time. It's not overly happy in 1GB, but it (99%) recognises the hardware and at least everything works (so far), even if rather slowly.

I'm not that keen on it though... I'm beginning to think that I might be best waiting until the credit card stops trembling after the last couple of months (don't ask tongue) and get a more recent machine. Then I can try out the various flavours (including xubuntu, thanks for the suggestion) without wondering whether it's the OS or the hardware that's getting in the way.

And if I decide Linux isn't for me after all, I'll see if I can turn it into a Hackintosh smile

Bill

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Fri 18-Oct-13 21:48:46
Print Post

I tried Adrian's suggestion of Mint Debian as the 64-bit version was supposed to be OK in 1GB, it seemed to install OK but some applications (Firefox and Thunderbird at least) wouldn't start, wouldn't re-install and Opera wouldn't install either... these days, a computer without a browser is a doorstop crazy

I am sure Lynx will work wink .I tend to run Linux in VMWare or Virtual box virtual machines and usually seems happy in 1G or less, but then I rarely push them hard and most likely in shell script or browser.

I'm not that keen on it though... I'm beginning to think that I might be best waiting until the credit card stops trembling after the last couple of months (don't ask tongue) and get a more recent machine.

I used to use Ubuntu for all secure stuff - but I now migrated to Mint LTS (Long term support) (not the Debian versions for such things.

funny my card has taken a big hit in last week - but not as much as my savings account is going to take (the joys of buying new home)

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-13 10:06:27
Print Post

If you are still having problems then you might like to look at SuSE and/or Fedora. I've never had any problems with either of them (I hate Ubuntu and its derivatives). Go for an Xfce4 desktop, particularly on a lower powered machine; Gnome and KDE seem to have caught the Apple/Microsoft bloat disease. It's good enough for Linus so it's good enough for me.

Of course, real men use Gentoo and masochists play with LFS, both of which will give you a far more customized and responsive setup.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-13 10:56:05
Print Post

They recommend to d/l MATE if you don't know which one to use, I'll probably try that and Cinnamon.
It is down to personal choice at the end of the day. i have tried a load before sticking with what I have got.

It's just their "We know what's best for our customers" attitude that annoys me. Examples- I always used Mac Mail as my RSS client, it disappeared without warning in Mountain Lion... and they've "updated" the OS use a non-standard method of choosing IPv4 or IPv6 on a dual stack site, with no user option to over-ride it and use the proper method (ie pick v6). It just picks whichever is fastest, which is fine unless you're trying to use a speedtest to see why your IPv6 is running slowly crazy

There's other little things too, they seem to unerring pick some of my favourite bits to remove mad

I like OS X as well (and there's no chance of me going back to Windows smile), but I'll be giving Maverick a very close look before upgrading to it, and as support for ML and earlier won't last forever it might be a good point to switch OS's.

Sounds like Micrsoft to be honest and their Metro UI, while 8.1 do help with some of it, they still have not really listened to the public.

A friend of mine who have 4 modern macs have stayed with a older OSx, I think it is about 3 behind as she don't like the way Apple is going.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-13 11:05:48
Print Post

Yes, I sort of got that impression, especially after some browsing around to get a feel for other opinions.

It didn't seem to like the network card either- when I tried to set a static IP it dropped the connection and refused to pick it up again, some error about "unmanaged device" iirc mad

It also reminded me of Windows somehow, so back to Ubuntu, 64-bit this time. It's not overly happy in 1GB, but it (99%) recognises the hardware and at least everything works (so far), even if rather slowly.

I'm not that keen on it though... I'm beginning to think that I might be best waiting until the credit card stops trembling after the last couple of months (don't ask tongue) and get a more recent machine. Then I can try out the various flavours (including xubuntu, thanks for the suggestion) without wondering whether it's the OS or the hardware that's getting in the way.

And if I decide Linux isn't for me after all, I'll see if I can turn it into a Hackintosh smile

Once you get the distro and look you want, you will love Linux. I am sorry that the Debian version of mint did not work out for you, you could try the ubuntu based one, it should work with all the hardware that Ubuntu works with.
The thing people have to realise with Linux is that it is not supported by the big corporations, so you are not going to get your photoshop, premier or quark, but there is some good software out there Libre office and Kingsoft now for office suites. Scribus is a great for DTP. Browser wise, a good choice, firefox, opera and chrome, plus some others. Gimp is really good, in fact the friend that owns the Macs is a graphic designer and uses gimp more so than photoshop these days.

I hope you keep with linux, I am in the process of going from windows to Linux, still have to use windows because of video editing.

Adrian

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 22-Oct-13 07:14:32
Print Post

Thanks for all the help folks, it's much appreciated.

For various reasons I'm not going to do anything definite until the New Year, in the meantime I've been given plenty of ideas to follow up smile

Bill

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Oct-13 23:01:18
Print Post

Why not give Windows 8.1 a go? laugh

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 22-Oct-13 23:03:30
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Why not give Windows 8.1 a go? laugh
Because I prefer to retain what little bit of sanity I have left tongue

Bill

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Oct-13 23:30:01
Print Post

Windows 8.1 is the most fluent and intuitive OS going. If you are a competent IT user (which you are) there are absolutely tons and tons of features, short cuts, etc, etc to enable you to do almost any task on your PC involving the GUI in the fastest way. It's built for keyboard, mouse, and touch.

Admittedly, this takes a little bit of learning, but it rewards itself many times over.

Give it a go anyway, even if just for a bit of fun before you install a Linux flavour.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 22-Oct-13 23:34:44)

Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-13 07:06:26
Print Post

Give it a go anyway, even if just for a bit of fun before you install a Linux flavour.
I'll give it some consideration... if you can point me to a legal source that costs the same as a Linux or Mavericks installation...

Bill

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 09:10:43
Print Post

Windows 8.1 is the most fluent and intuitive OS going. If you are a competent IT user (which you are) there are absolutely tons and tons of features, short cuts, etc, etc to enable you to do almost any task on your PC involving the GUI in the fastest way. It's built for keyboard, mouse, and touch.

Admittedly, this takes a little bit of learning, but it rewards itself many times over.

It is built for touch, but you can use the keyboard and mouse, the main updates for 8.1 is the modern UI, the only reason Ms stuck a start button is because they are a little worried and all they done is stuck a start button on, it still links to the horrid Ui.

Windows 8.1 still got the dreaded charms bars flying out at you when ever you get too close to the corners. the other problem with windows 8.1 is the integration of skydrive. it is horrid, to use skydrive on 8.1, you got to have your computer connected to a Microsoft account all the time. At least with windows 8, you could use a little app to do it and stay in local account. Not that I use sky drive. But I have updated a couple of machines over the last 3 days and both machine owners do not like what MS have done with Sky drive integration and they use sky drive a lot.

The other problem is 8.1 seems to not be as speedy as windows 8, somehow MS have slowed it down, in booting up and general usage.

I think I will keep my windows as version 8.

Adrian

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 12:38:21
Print Post

Sorry I can't do that... but personally I don't mind paying for something as long as its good value.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-13 12:49:57
Print Post

Neither do I, but I'm not paying full price to evaluate something which might get wiped after a week or so.

Bill

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 14:17:34
Print Post

You can install a 30 day trial or something... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh6991...

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-13 14:24:01
Print Post

You have to register for that… and I doubt they'd accept a retired widower wanting to compare it with Linux or Mavericks:
This is evaluation software designed for IT professionals interested in trying Windows 8.1 Enterprise on behalf of their organization. We do not recommend that you install this evaluation if you are not an IT professional or not professionally managing corporate networks.

Bill

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 14:46:25
Print Post

I am pretty sure the process is automated, as long as you supply a valid email address. I get the feeling you have made your mind up though! smile

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-13 14:51:29
Print Post

I get the feeling you have made your mind up though! smile
I'll not deny that it would take something pretty outstanding to get me to move back to a Microsoft OS… and I've seen nothing to convince me that Windows 8.x is it tongue

Bill

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 15:12:42
Print Post

Too much believing what you hear in the press! wink

And self proclaimed computer experts!

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-13 15:18:30
Print Post

And self proclaimed computer experts!
Possibly smile

The scoring system used in (I think) gymnastics has a lot to be said for it- ignore the extremes and take the average of what's left tongue

Bill

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 16:20:39
Print Post

It certainly is for all the Server evaluations that I've downloaded over the years. Registration is just a formality.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 23:28:47
Print Post

I get the feeling you have made your mind up though! smile
I'll not deny that it would take something pretty outstanding to get me to move back to a Microsoft OS… and I've seen nothing to convince me that Windows 8.x is it tongue

Windows 8 itself is not that bad, if you get away from the modern Ui and put a third party start menu application on it then it works pretty well. it is certainly faster than windows 7, boots up faster and shuts down faster.

But to be honest, if you have no need to move back to a MS OS, then don't.

Adrian

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Oct-13 10:29:08
Print Post

Upgraded my Win 8 tablet to 8.1 and now have had a couple of BSODs and one of MS's own programmes (the solitaire card suite) won't even start up anymore. 8.1 seems to have some problems at the moment (at least on this device). I haven't upgraded my Win 8 laptop due to the issues on the tablet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to