Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Nov-13 09:29:38
Print Post

elementary Os

[link to this post]

i installed it on my laptop a couple of weeks ago and was pretty impressed with it, laptop is a old dual core intel thing and can be a bit slow,, but it is fine with elementary Os it. So i thought I would give it a go on my desktop and again it is pretty impressive. I know the desktop is a lot more powerful than the laptop, but even so it seems to make a difference.

The only bad part is elementary Os is pretty basic in looks.

i am certainly going to keep it on the laptop, but when the new Mint Debian edition comes out I may go back to that.

One good thing about Linux, it is so easy to keep my settings, the bad thing, there are too many distros smile

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 11-Nov-13 10:15:33
Print Post

Re: elementary Os

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Looks promising, I'll add it to the list of "distros to try" when I get a decent platform to try it on smile

I see it's based on Ubuntu, any problems there? I gather from my other thread that several people whose opinions I respect don't like Ubuntu, or is that the full distro and not the underlying guts of it?

As for the looks… my first thought was that it looks not unlike the way I've got OS X set up, so it's a plus for me smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Nov-13 14:06:50
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It is pretty light weight, so it runs well, even on stuff that is not so powerful. A lot is based on Ubuntu and it is the Ubuntu distro itself that people have a problem with, not the ones based on it.
the one good thing about Ubuntu based distros is that they are more compatible with hardware and they normally have a better range of software in their software centre.

As i said, i do like Mint Debian Edition and willl go back to that once the new version is available.

At least with Linux, if you make your home directory a partition then all your setting are kept for software,

You are right, Elementary is mac like due to the dock, btu that is about it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

Edited by zyborg47 (Mon 11-Nov-13 14:07:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Nov-13 16:11:39
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Guys, I tried Ubuntu, Mint, even Trisquel on my notebook, and to be honest, any debian based distro is not to my liking - there is too much interfering going on in the background.

So I am back to running Slackware with xfce4 (I have run Slack on linicks.net server for years) and it's a breathe of fresh air.

But having said that, my wife and her sister both run Ubuntu on their laptops without complaints since I installed them about 2 years ago. My father-in-law (83!) is running Mint on his laptop, and since I installed that about 6 months ago, I have had two phone calls - forgotten (or rather he got confused, with e-mail password) what the password was to login, and another about it boots up too quick/shuts down too quick, is that OK? [heh]

Slackware is brilliant. A bit coarse maybe for non-techies, but it is pure and solid and everything goes and runs like a *nix box should do.

Nick
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Nov-13 19:57:55
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

There is Debian based and Ubuntu Debian based. Ubuntu as you may know is based on Debian, but then other distros are based on ubuntu, so it is more or less ubunutu underneath with a few differences. Mint and Trisquel as you said are ubuntu based, but then you can get distros based just on Debian itself, now they are a different thing, I was using Mint Debian edition and I loved it.

I had a quick look at slackware and you are certainly right it is a bit coarse, I had a look on you Tube on how to install it and it reminds me of the first time I tried Linux and gave up with Fedora.

This elementary is pretty good, it is fast, easy to install and use, not much scope to change the desktop, there is something called elementary tweaks, which I have installed, which allows me to change a couple of thing. for newbies who just want to brose and type a letter, it is ideal.

I will go back to mint Debian when the new version comes out.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Print Thread

Jump to