Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Dec-13 08:01:00
Print Post

Majaro

[link to this post]

wow, so fast, but such a pain to use.
i looked at the KDE and the XFCE version. Been trying to get sound cards working, the internal one works, but the one that is on my keyboard don't. It says it is there, but I just can't get any sound out of it.

Manjaro is based on Arch Linux, which is really stable and fast, but not user friendly.

i love linux because it is secure, fast and stable, better than windows, but I don't have the time to muck around with it.

So back to mint i think.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:34:15
Print Post

Re: Majaro

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I've also no time to mess about with Linux problems and have been using the various editions of Mint on an external drive from my Windows XP for several years now - absolutely no difficulties. I'm seriously considering moving to Linux Mint in place of XP when it dies in April!

Trying to move to a suitable Windows looks like a real hassle to me.

Trevor

BTBroadband Option 1 - Speed: Up to 8Mbps
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jan-14 18:57:54
Print Post

Re: Majaro

[re: Kaufhof] [link to this post]

Mint is really good, it is based on Ubuntu, but seems to be a lot better than Ubuntu. The cinnamon desktop is really good, certainly now it been improved. there is also a debian based version of Mint, which is also good and have the advantage of rolling updates,

Another Ubuntu based distro you could try is Zorin, looks good and certainly a good update from windows.

I have still got Manjaro installed, I will try it for another week or so and see how it goes, to be honest I do like Manjaro, it just don't have the ease of use and the choice of software in the software centre that Mint have.

I suppose windows have made me lazy, I used to use the command line interface a lot on my Amiga, but when I went to windows, i never bothered with it.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to