Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Tue 20-May-14 10:53:47
Print Post

Linux? Any Recommendations for this please?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've never tried Linux before and think I should at least have a stab at it.

I've a netbook that runs XP. No use with XP anymore so thought I'd ask here what flavour of Linux might be best for a beginner and for the netbook I have which isn't particularly high spec smile

The netbook is Intel Atom processor N270 1.6ghz, 1.5 GB DDR 2 RAM, has a hard drive that's a printed circuit board and is 15.0GB. The machine is an Acer Aspire One if that helps any.

Thank you for any advice you might be able to offer smile
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 13:07:29
Print Post

Re: Linux? Any Recommendations for this please?

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

Ubuntu is always a good place to start. Use the desktop edition--this is advertised as being suitable for netbooks. The old netbook edition is no longer supported. You don't have to install it on your hard drive straight away. You can create a bootable USB stick just to play around with. This is true of most Linux distributions.

P.S. The standard Ubuntu distribution comes with the Unity desktop (window manager) which not everyone likes and can be resource-intensive. There are other flavours of Ubuntu that use different desktops. Xubuntu, which uses XFCE, is particularly nice imo and easy on resources.

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks--Feersum Endjinn

Edited by micksharpe (Tue 20-May-14 13:49:39)

Standard User Zodiac
(committed) Fri 23-May-14 15:09:55
Print Post

I have been trying out this one.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08296

Its for lower spec pc' s and i quite like it.

Also i am trying this one as well

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2489.

I also like it and its fairly easy to get used too.

----------------------

If you go out to play keep away from that "MAINE ROAD".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Thu 29-May-14 08:26:11
Print Post

A bit late with this, but have been away.
For my Acer aspire One, I found that Mint was the most likely to work well. At the time (several years back) Ubuntu and others didn't support the wireless (but this may well have changed)

Derek
Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Sat 31-May-14 17:41:01
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Well, ubuntu is OK if you don't mind a smartphone-type desktop which many find distinctly unlikeable but I go for Linux Mint every time. LM 16 Petra is an excellent release but is due to be replaced very soon by Linux Mint 17, which will have very long term support. Still, it's not being replaced in the sense of 'no longer any use' and you will find it (or any other current) Mint version an excellent replacement for XP.

I am not a Mint dev or anything like that, by the way!

Trevor Adcock

BTBroadband Option 1 - Speed: Up to 8Mbps
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Jun-14 17:13:15
Print Post

Fedora is a good starter. You can then branch out to the others after that.

IanD
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jun-14 23:08:29
Print Post

Mint here as well, a good all round Os that works well and is pretty light if you go for the cinnamon desktop.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 02-Jun-14 06:48:08
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I like Mint as well, but with one possible proviso- that any drivers you need are available via Driver Manager. If you need to manually install proprietary drivers you may have problems.

On one of the two Linux boxes I needed to install later drivers (from the NVidia site) for a GPU, and they wouldn't install without bringing up (inconsistent) errors. After five attempts, each involving an OS re-install, I tried Ubuntu and they went in like clockwork, first time.

But I prefer Mint to the extent that, if the later drivers become available in Driver Manager, I'll go back to it.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Mon 02-Jun-14 07:33:21)

Standard User astateoftrance
(experienced) Tue 03-Jun-14 22:37:20
Print Post

I would also recommend Ubuntu. I have used it on and off for years and as my primary OS for probably 2 years now. It installs no problem and is easy to use, I know some people don't like the Unity destop but I do, it may take a bit of getting used to if you are coming from Windows but once you do it is great. really don't get the comment about it being like a phone, I have used Android and IOS and doesn't look anything like it?

Sorry can't say whether it is suitable for you netbook or not but as suggested above probably best to try it from a usb or CD before installing.

Edited by astateoftrance (Tue 03-Jun-14 22:41:09)

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 03-Jun-14 22:48:40
Print Post

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
...it may take a bit of getting used to if you are coming from Windows...
Odd… as a Mac user, one of the things I don't much like about Ubuntu is that it reminds me of Windows crazy

Though to be fair, the last version of Windows I used to any extent was Vista… which was a large part of the reason for moving to a Mac smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to