Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Sep-14 22:33:03
Print Post

Re: A printer capable of handling Linux - Any recommedations

[re: Kaufhof] [link to this post]

Have a look at using the Gutenprint drivers for various flavours of Linux/Unix- these support a vast array of printers. Just choose a printer on the list.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Sun 21-Sep-14 11:33:24
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

By the way (if anybody's still interested) I went for an Epson Expressions XP-510 ultimately and had great fun (some phrase!!) installing it.

BTBroadband Option 1 - Speed: Up to 8Mbps
Standard User RainmakerRaw
(newbie) Fri 24-Apr-15 19:03:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kaufhof:
By the way (if anybody's still interested) I went for an Epson Expressions XP-510 ultimately and had great fun (some phrase!!) installing it.

Traditionally HP support for Linux has been strong, and hplip drivers often come bundled with Linux distros. After looking for a printer recently (my last one was a HP 3-in-one years ago) we too went for the XP-225 as we don't print much and it was a nice budget all-in-one.I understand your headaches, as it took me quite a bit of searching to get everything working, under Arch Linux especially.

As such I'm posting this general guide for posterity in case others find this thread via search.

Epson provide rpm and deb drivers for their printers and scanners, however you'll need to do a little (easy) editing of two config files to get network scanning working OK once you've installed the printer driver, scanner driver, and the iScan packages they provide (rpm or deb, as your distro requires).

If you're running Arch (which uses pacman not deb or rpm) you'll need to do the following:

sudo pacman -Rdd foomatic-db foomatic-db-nonfree

This removes a conflict caused by foomatic packages. Without this you'll get a 'CUPS error: Success!' message when trying to add the printer in the system printer settings dialogue.

Then install epson-inkjet-printer-escpr from AUR, as well as iscan and the iscan network packages (just search in your preferred package manager). Then add the printer in the printers settings, and you can then join the rest of this guide.Everyone else will need to install the deb or rpm files for their distro.

So if after installing the required rpm or deb printer and scanner and iscan packages (as downloaded from the Epson link earlier) you get an error along the lines of “Could not send command to scanner.Check the scanner’s status.” when trying to use iScan or Scanner for Linux then the following will help.

First go into your router's UI (usually at 192.168.1.1 or similar) and set the printer/scanner to have a static LAN IP address. For example mine is set to 192.168.1.138 This means we can tell the config files where on the network to find the scanner, and we know the location won't keep changing, as it's static.

To edit the two config files required to get network scanning working OK, you can either use 'sudo nano' or else 'sudo your-fave-text-editor'. In the example I'll use nano but you can substitute as required (eg sudo pluma or sudo gedit).

1) sudo nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

Make it read only the following:

backend loader
net
epkowa

You can either delete the other config lines or (easier) comment them out with # at the start of each line.

2) sudo nano /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf

usb
scsi
net 192.168.1.xxx #(This is the static IP you set for the printer/scanner before we began)

Finally if you are using GIMP v2 then you can link the iscan binary to be used as a plugin so you can import from the scanner into GIMP directly. This is achieved by:

ln -s /usr/bin/iscan /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/iscan

After this my Epson all-in-one works flawlessly every time on any Linux distro I've tried (Fedora, Arch, Mint etc). Hopefully it helps someone. Sorry for any omissions I'm rushing before going out (I didn't want to not finish, then forget). Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Apr-15 19:14:40
Print Post

Lots with Gutenprint

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Sat 25-Apr-15 14:58:13
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Same here, Zyborg, although different Canon; mine is PIXMA MG4250. The print quality is really good but, like you, I lack a scanner. I also have no means of measuring the ink level!

Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Sat 25-Apr-15 15:13:46
Print Post

Please everybody ignore the answer mentioning Epson. It failed after about 3 prints and neither I (nor anyone else) could find out what was wrong nor load the drivers! Problem solved (to an extent) as mentioned several posts above. Many thanks to everyone for the contributions.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Apr-15 09:22:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kaufhof:
Same here, Zyborg, although different Canon; mine is PIXMA MG4250. The print quality is really good but, like you, I lack a scanner. I also have no means of measuring the ink level!

My Canon is great, print quality is really good, even with third party inks.
I know it is not as cheap to run as Epson, but i have found the build quality of Epsons over the last 10 years have decreased and they seem really flimsy these days. The only problem with my Canon is for some reason it loses wireless connection to my computer, but I think that may be a problem with my computer. So I got it running on USB which is not a problem.

Scanner wise I have a HP scanjet 7650, again great quality and pretty fast.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-May-15 15:19:21
Print Post

When my Kodak 5.1 died (same problem) saved my money and went to use the cheapest HP I could find - printed fine when I tried Linux, but no good if you want photos as for some reason it can't print photos to scale. Its the HP2542 btw.

Steve
New ISP coming soon
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to