Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-15 09:08:35
Print Post

Video editing on Linux

[link to this post]

I have seen this on the Registerabout video editing on Linux, I tried some and yes they are ok, but Vegas is still better.

It is a shame as I would jump to Linux if I could get a stable decent editor.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Dec-15 13:27:55
Print Post

Re: Video editing on Linux

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Made by Sony? I wouldn't go anywhere near proprietary software made by them.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-15 14:58:30
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Especially not if you are worried about corporations spying on you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Dec-15 14:29:02
Print Post

Sony Vegas is pretty good to be honest,k there is not much else on Windows based machines unless you go for Adobe Premier, which is now a subscription, Avid is over priced and over the top for me.

I have had a muck around with Kdenlive on linux and it is good, but can be a bit unreliable, Lightworks is good, but I can not get used to the lack of thumbnails on the timeline.

My version of Vegas have never accessed asked to access the net for any reason, auto updates are switched off, so I have not idea what TinyMongomery is on about.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Wed 30-Dec-15 14:37:14
Print Post

If you don't know the history of Sony with regard to rootkits and malware then I can't help you.

I just find it odd that you complain so bitterly about Microsoft's upfront data collection and say the only reason that you use Windows is to run software by Sony, who have a far darker record in this field.
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Dec-15 15:12:09
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
If you don't know the history of Sony with regard to rootkits and malware then I can't help you.

I just find it odd that you complain so bitterly about Microsoft's upfront data collection and say the only reason that you use Windows is to run software by Sony, who have a far darker record in this field.

I wouldn't say Sony have a far darker record... they only used in what they did is what MS deliberately coded in their kernels (and still do) to allow this to happen. The MS kernel is designed explicitly to do things like this - and of course, by saying that, people will say I am talking [censored] - but just look at the processes that are running on a MS machine, and tell me what they all do? Nobody knows.

Edited by Lethe (Wed 30-Dec-15 15:15:02)

(experienced) Wed 30-Dec-15 16:02:21
Print Post

Simple - don't use Windows. It's not compulsory.

But I'm satisfied that, unlike Sony, Microsoft have never installed a hidden rootkit.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Dec-15 10:34:41
Print Post

I know the history and I hope that Sony have learnt something from it, and I did not ask you to help me.
MS is only upfront about what they want us to know and then they stick it in a load of small print.
I found out yesterday that Windows 8 and Windows 10 encrypts the drives and stick the key up in the cloud, I wonder how up front they were about that.,
Thankfully it only happens if you keep your computer logged into a Ms account.

I have no problem with privacy in Sony vegas.

Anyway, video editing in Linux

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Dec-15 10:36:27
Print Post

Simple - don't use Windows. It's not compulsory.

But I'm satisfied that, unlike Sony, Microsoft have never installed a hidden rootkit.

Some of us got little choice but to use Windows or Apple, and Apple is too expensive.,

I am trying to get away from Windows and is why I am looking for a good video editor on Linux.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Sat 02-Jan-16 14:58:15
Print Post

The key that Microsoft stores in the cloud is a recovery key. This is to aid you should you have a problem and haven't saved a copy of the key yourself. I lose count of the number of forum posts that I see where users have encrypted drives and cannot access them because they have a problem and don't have a backup key. The answer, until now, was "you're screwed"; now they can easily recover the drive.

This is another example of FUD being spread against Microsoft. Someone, with who knows what motive, has reported what is a security measure as an intrusion. And then all the sheep jump on the bandwagon without understanding what is happening....
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:29:05
Print Post

It isimpossible to get data back of hard drives that are encrypted well for the likes of me and you anyway. I know that is the whole point, but in the past if someone OS have gone belly up I could get the data from there for them. Sure people should back up, but a lot don't

I thnk most people I know have older machines that don't have the TPM chip so their drives are not encrypted, also most of them don't sign into MS account, My machine don't have a TPM chip, that is the way I like it.

Had more of a play with Kdenlive, but it don't seem to use my video card for rendering, which is a shame.,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:56:28
Print Post

So if your computer doesn't have the TPM chip and the drive can't be encrypted this way, there's nothing to worry about. I believe that even some Linux distributions will encrypt your hard drive by default.

The point is that Microsoft are trying hard to make the operating system both more secure and more robust for the average user. To portray this as some sort of invasion of privacy is irresponsible as the intent is the very opposite. It's a bit like complaining about the fact that the computer will check the integrity of the file system on boot if it detects a potential problem. You don't ask it to do so, but that doesn't mean that this sort of protection is in any way intrusive.

If you are a non-average user and don't like these protection mechanisms you just disable them.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 10:58:33
Print Post

So if your computer doesn't have the TPM chip and the drive can't be encrypted this way, there's nothing to worry about. I believe that even some Linux distributions will encrypt your hard drive by default.

They will ask at set up, but the Linux Distros I have installed do not just assume you want it done.

I am surprised that more machines don't have TPM as it have been around for a while and a few years back I saw in articles that all computers would have it.

The point is that Microsoft are trying hard to make the operating system both more secure and more robust for the average user. To portray this as some sort of invasion of privacy is irresponsible as the intent is the very opposite. It's a bit like complaining about the fact that the computer will check the integrity of the file system on boot if it detects a potential problem. You don't ask it to do so, but that doesn't mean that this sort of protection is in any way intrusive.

you do seem to like Ms and it seems like they can do no wrong and everything they do is for our own good, you just keep believing that.

If you are a non-average user and don't like these protection mechanisms you just disable them.

Just make the options more in people face instead of trying to hide them.

Anyway, I have a small problem with my computer that I can not solve and the image back up I made for some reason seems to have the same problem, so I have to reinstall windows 8.1 from scratch

Maybe I should just change my Linux distro to the SSD and stick windows on the older drive.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to