Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 18-Oct-16 22:17:12
Print Post

Re: Thinking of installing Linux on older computer VS Win7 o

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Thank's for the clarification
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Tue 18-Oct-16 23:55:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lethe:
Guys, you are starting to sound like MS users.

Linux is the kernel. The major tools that run over the shell of the kernel are a majority from GNU/FSF.

Distributions can use all, some, or other variants of this. But the kernel is usually the linux kernel (herd is about, but not yet ready after 20 odd years).

Now, on top of all that you have window managers, or desktop environments. The former being something like fluxbox or blackbox and the latter being something like Gnome or KDE. For embedded systems somethong like (or based on) busybox is used.

I sometimes use xfce4 DE, but now use DWM WM 99% of the time ( see http://dwm.suckless.org/ ).

But whatever, it is still a GNU/Linux system, no matter how you say it.

NIck

Pah! Don't come here with your rationale and logic and baffle the masses with simple facts, they'll just try and argue that the sky is green and the grass is blue, regardless of proof to the contrary. I'd surely like to sit them down in from of Richard Stallman and let them voice these incorrect assumptions to *him*, and see what his reaction is... one can only imagine, LOL!

>> https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2d/6c...

tongue

Edited by glossywhite (Wed 19-Oct-16 00:01:42)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 07:23:01
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

Actually, Stallman doesn't like GNU/Linux. He says it should be GNU + Linux. wink

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 07:24:25
Print Post

Why do you ignore the contributions from BSD; from IBM; from Google; from ....?

(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 07:29:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Let's not forget XWindow, which is a major part of most GNU/XWindow/Linux distributions.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-16 08:14:09
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

... Microsoft.

I saw this in the inquirer - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2166123/mic...

SOFTWARE DEVELOPER Microsoft entered the top 20 in the list of Linux kernel contributors, coming in 17th place ahead of Linaro and Canonical.

Microsoft, a firm that many Linux users believe tried to kill off Linux through SCO, is the 17th most active contributor to the Linux kernel project since version 2.6.36. According to figures released by the Linux Foundation, Microsoft submitted 688 changes, one per cent of the overall changelog.

Microsoft's contribution in the grand scale of Linux is tiny, with Red Hat, Intel, Novell and IBM accounting for almost 25 per cent of all changes.
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 08:49:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

There are so many different contributors to Linux that I think it would be silly to pick out a particular one. GNU software represents between 8 and 13% of a modern distribution (depending upon window manager used). I'd say that this doesn't represent a large enough portion of the operating system to be given special billing.

Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Wed 19-Oct-16 15:01:37
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
Actually, Stallman doesn't like GNU/Linux. He says it should be GNU + Linux. wink

I've watched many full length RMS lectures over the last 10 years, and in every single one of them he explicitly says fhat either "GNU/Linux" or "GNU+Linux" aee acceptable and valid, so long as you pronounce the hard "G" in "GNU", as "Guh-Noo".

This 2 minute video of RMS will concisely spell it out for you, unambiguously:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cO-zRU21HZY

As for all the comments regarding "why isn't X or Y company included in the title of the OS?" - simple - RMS & his GNU system were there on tbe scene first, long before anyone else had even heard of them OR Linus' Linux kernel, and certainly long before Google was even conceived.

It's good to get your facts straight when debating a subject you consistently demonstrate you lack knowledge about, as most of the last few comments attest to.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-16 15:23:48
Print Post

Android is Linux based. There's no Gnu in there and I believe it's far more successful than Gnu
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 15:38:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
It's good to get your facts straight when debating a subject you consistently demonstrate you lack knowledge about, as most of the last few comments attest to.
Thanks for the condescending remarks, but I am very familiar with the history of Linux and the Free Software Foundation. Probably more familiar than you are.

I incline more to the attitude of Eric Raymond, who has no axe to grind. And I think everything that there is to be said about this diversion - none of which helps the OP - has been said.

(By the way - BSD precedes GNU by many years - as does IBM. crazy)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to