Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Wed 19-Oct-16 16:38:16
Print Post

Re: Thinking of installing Linux on older computer VS Win7 o

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
In reply to a post by glossywhite:
It's good to get your facts straight when debating a subject you consistently demonstrate you lack knowledge about, as most of the last few comments attest to.
Thanks for the condescending remarks, but I am very familiar with the history of Linux and the Free Software Foundation. Probably more familiar than you are.

I incline more to the attitude of Eric Raymond, who has no axe to grind. And I think everything that there is to be said about this diversion - none of which helps the OP - has been said.

(By the way - BSD precedes GNU by many years - as does IBM. crazy)

Yes, I was lazy with my quoting and didn't clarify that the last few sentences were in general, and not referring to you. I'm sorry, I'm just more than acutely aware of the (rather obvious) logic of the who/why/when/where of the GNU and Linux naming and what it all stands for, and it appears that a few people in the thread lack the will to do basic research before boldly mocking those who know better.

Anyway, people can call it whatever they like, erroneously or not, because facts don't alter based on opinions, just so long as they understand there's people who clearly understand it and there are those who might enjoy a little in depth research and education before attempting to pick holes in clearly established facts.

I'm off to fry bigger fish, I've derailed this thread, I take responsibility for that and won't waste any more time on this nonsense, sorry everyone, have a nice day. smile

Edited by glossywhite (Wed 19-Oct-16 16:40:58)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Oct-16 17:59:30
Print Post

The final say on GNU vs Linux

[re: HappyRockets] [link to this post]

To put everybody out of their misery, I just built a new linux kernel tonight, and here's what 'uname -a' says (on Slackware):
Text
Linux palantirII 4.8.3.dsdt #4 SMP Thu Oct 20 17:50:49 BST 2016 i686 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N455   @ 1.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Edited by Lethe (Thu 20-Oct-16 18:01:02)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-16 20:01:51
Print Post

[re: HappyRockets] [link to this post]

I have never tried Linux because it sounded very complicated
I guess this thread has shown you why a lot of people avoid Linux! wink

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Oct-16 20:17:15
Print Post

If your IQ is equal to the latest MS offerings, then yes.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 20-Oct-16 20:26:15
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
If your IQ is equal to the latest MS offerings, then yes.
I'm not sure what you mean by your IQ and why it affects which operating system is in use
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-16 20:37:52
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

The latest offering from Microsoft is Windows Server 2016. I'm afraid that I can't claim that my IQ is quite that high. wink

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-16 17:01:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I have never tried Linux because it sounded very complicated
I guess this thread has shown you why a lot of people avoid Linux! wink

GNU/Linux isn't anywhere near as complicated as the arguments of the people who profess to be "experts" (you find plenty of know-it-all types in these GNU/Linux "communities" {I use that word VERY loosely - REAL, physical world communities know one another closely and help each other out}) - I find GNU/Linux easier to use in a vacuum, with only a one-way flow of static documentation information to me from the internet, sans ANY "helpful" user information from people unwilling to JUST give you the answer to the question you asked; no - they want to TELL you what to do and give an "opinion" you never sought.

Technology and science is as complicated as we make it, and plenty of people want to shout and be heard and seen as "clever" because they worked out something which other know-it-alls made unnecessarily convoluted in the first place.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to