Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MacFriar
(committed) Sat 09-Jan-10 17:54:08
Print Post

HP Scanjet 4850 and SL

[link to this post]

I have had it! Before the August release of Snow Leopard I had a working HP Scanjet 4850 scanner which is about three years old. Since I installed Snow Leopard, I now have a large paper weight. HP has been promising for months to have an update for the scanner drivers (along with many other models) with their own deadline coming and going, and to date has delivered ZILCH. I have tried removing all HP software and drivers, then reloading everything and the same result, no scanner recognized.

Today, I tried something different, I moved the scanner over to the netbook with Windows 7 Home Premium on it. Not only did it recognize the scanner, but installed the drivers automatically. Unfortunately, this will have to do for the time being, since neither Apple or HP seem to be interested in anything but selling new hardware and software. I have poured over their support sites on a regular basis for an answer, and nothing other what I have tried.

This experience has made me resolved in one thing, I will never buy a HP product ever again if this is how they support their products.

MacFriar

Core Duo Intel iMac 17" OS 10.6.2 Snow Leopard and a MacBook 13" 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, Telephone DSL modem/router, 8GB iTouch OS 3.1.2, Acer AspireOne AOA150-1029 Windows 7 Home Premium
Standard User w4man
(freechataholic) Sat 09-Jan-10 17:55:53
Print Post

Re: HP Scanjet 4850 and SL

[re: MacFriar] [link to this post]

Ian c solved it for me - try using preview.
Standard User defcom
(experienced) Sat 09-Jan-10 17:57:00
Print Post

Or image capture.

----------------------------------------------------------------
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4Gb/ram, OS10.6.1, Netgear DGN2000

BE* Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MacFriar
(committed) Sat 09-Jan-10 18:01:39
Print Post

[re: defcom] [link to this post]

Was not recognizing the scanner in either program. Believe me I tried it before my rant.

MacFriar

Core Duo Intel iMac 17" OS 10.6.2 Snow Leopard and a MacBook 13" 10.6.2 Snow Leopard, Telephone DSL modem/router, 8GB iTouch OS 3.1.2, Acer AspireOne AOA150-1029 Windows 7 Home Premium
Standard User goldenoldie
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-10 18:02:28
Print Post

[re: defcom] [link to this post]

But why should we have to find a work around - HP should have dealt with this - or Apple - but they haven't

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.2 ,Lynksys Router WRT54G ,G3iMac( retired from use) [ sssh and and a PC wireless lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 10mbit
Standard User ian_c
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-10 18:22:01
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

I just assumed that using Preview was the new way of doing it (works better and more flexibly than the old HP drivers did anyway).

Standard User MacFriar
(committed) Sat 09-Jan-10 18:25:27
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

If I could get SL to recognize the scanner, I would be happy using Preview. One less bit of software to worry about.

MacFriar

Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-10 21:28:39
Print Post

I know someone with an all-in-one HP printer/scanner. It didn't work when first confronted with OS X Leopard, but her genius son performed some magic to get it to work. She now has Snow Leopard, and I think it's still
OK. If you can hold fire until tomorrow before defenestrating the beast, I'll see if I can make contact and get the details on the fix they performed.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / Mac G4 1GHz 1.12GBytes - Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Standard User goldenoldie
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-10 21:40:40
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Alan I would appreciate this too - I have my own PSC 1410 and also Raymond's Deskjet F380 [ which appear to be identical to my PSC , just about 1 year younger :) ]

But I still think that HP should be facing up to this and actually doing something rather than keep saying that they will produce drivers . We've been waiting too long . OK HP want to sell stuff , but by b........ us about like this, all they are doing is ensuring that we won't buy HP equipment again .

I was in France and hooked up to brand new Printer I haven't used before - a Canon and bless it - my MBP recognised it instantly and I was printing without having to look for Drivers - whereas I'd had to for my own printers [ HP and and elderly Canon iP 1600 though actually getting the printing Drivers was no problem - it's this total lack of a scanner driver that is the problem ]

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.2 ,Lynksys Router WRT54G ,G3iMac( retired from use) [ sssh and and a PC wireless lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 10mbit
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jan-10 17:28:10
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

I've asked the question, and await the outcome. It may simply be that they found a working driver somewhere.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / Mac G4 1GHz 1.12GBytes - Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to