Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 17-Jan-11 20:55:49
Print Post

IPv# choice

[link to this post]

I've got IPv6 working here, but when I try to reach http://ipv6-speedtest.net/ (referred to by seb here) it reports that I'm using IPv4.

From some reading around, it seems that my browsers (or maybe it's OS X, I'm not sure) will use the IPv4 address rather than the IPv6 one if given the choice- anyone know if it's possible to change this behaviour?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jan-11 21:59:10
Print Post

Re: IPv# choice

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Have you set up an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel? (Your Internet connection is probably IP4 only - or does your provider support IPv6; and does your router support it?)
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:08:05
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

ISP is IDNet, router is an Airport Extreme, both support IPv6. The router IPv6 mode is set to "tunnel" if that's what you mean.

The test site I used (http://test-ipv6.com/) says I've got IPv6 connectivity, network prefs reports an IPv6 address and I can access the IPv6-only sites that I've tried. So I think I'm on IPv6...

The test site also makes the comment: Note: Your browser appears to prefer IPv4 over IPv6 when given the choice.

Hence the query.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:33:31
Print Post

I read recently that one of the later updates to OS X Snow Leopard switched this preference. It will only connect over IPv6 if IPv4 isn't available. I just Googled it, and found the reference:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/11/apple-fixe...

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels

Edited by AlanH (Mon 17-Jan-11 22:34:17)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:39:21
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Many thanks for that, even if it's not encouraging.

I note the last sentence: There's always hope for 10.6.6... No there isn't frown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:39:34
Print Post

Here's another link that indicates that OS X is the problem.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:49:49
Print Post

Cheers... but if I've read it right, it's more of a 6to4 problem than inherently OS X. I'm reasonably sure that IDNet fully support IPv6 so I'll see what they say, and if I can get a genuine v6 connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:51:45
Print Post

But, from what you say, your router is set to use a 6to4 tunnel - hence the problem.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:57:34
Print Post

There's several options, that's just one of them- the others are Host and Router. I don't think Host is appropriate, and when I try Router the IPv6 doesn't work at all (I think I may need to do something in the iMac configuration for that).

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Print Thread

Jump to