Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Fri 28-Jan-11 19:38:39
Print Post

Apple about to licence OS X?

[link to this post]

Apple is about to drop the Xserve platform and the people who started this company are ex Apple employes. The rumour is that the 'solution' is a third party replacement for the xserve. One imagines it might run a OS X server under licence on third party Apple approved hardware. Moreover, the rumour is that Apple are about to redirect potential Xserve customers to them.

To me it makes sense. For Apple the Xserve is and always has been a niche product. It's one that doesn't fit well with their increasing focus on consumer level hardware and software. However there are many devotees of the platform and presumably, even if Apple can't make money out of it, a third party niche manufacturer could so long as Apple continue developing the server variant of OS X.

Given the manner in which Apple have now taken to developing an entire ecosystem around iOS, and are attempting to do the same with OS X's App Store could this be Apple dipping its toe into the water when it comes to licensing the OS again? Could we expect to see them extending this eventually? Xserve this year, high end workstations in 2012, consumer level products in 2013, maybe HTC phones or Sony TVs running iOS in 2014? Again, this might make sense. The benchmark products might remain uber cool and Apple branded, but the market might be full of Apple approved alternatives and all of them dependent on Apple's App Store.

We might be living in interesting times.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Fri 28-Jan-11 19:40:12)

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Jan-11 21:52:50
Print Post

Re: Apple about to licence OS X?

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

It's possible, but then it's only likely to happen as Apple seems to be less and less about computers. They're a consumer electronics company more than a computer company now.

Giles Jones
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 00:32:35
Print Post

I can see the first, but not the later stages.

Xserve = enterprise, essentially, so by all means license it to a company that is, in effect, not in a competing space - and indeed, urge/ cajole/ bribe them to complement IOS by making OSX Server and kit VERY iPhone/ iPad etc friendly. It would plug in very nicely, without any cannibalism and negligible impact on Apple's bottom line.

But cut its throat in the consumer space? I believe it when I see it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 29-Jan-11 09:33:51
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I can agree to a point. However, if Apple really is out to aggressively expand its market and doesn't license its OSs then there will come the point that it hits a glass ceiling of its own making. There will be few left who are willing to pay 'Apple tax'. There will be many, who want the features, but are untrustworthy or just don't like the look of Apple's products. Moreover, as the likes of iOS expand in terms of what they can potentially do there will be a limit to what sorts of product Apple is willing to manufacture to expand their own market.

Let's take an example; the TV/home entertainment market. Unseen by most consumers the OS element here is about to explode. Google are out there with their TV box, Apple have their 'hobby' Apple TV and there are no end of boxes of all descriptions running Linux and its variants. There are no end of 'connected' TVs running no end of nasty proprietary OSs. WIll Apple be prepared to manufacture all the kit needed to exploit the strength of its media ecosystem in this market? I doubt it. There are just too many variants to support in terms of standards, but if they licensed iOS to set top box and TV manufacturers then they have a huge market just sitting there for the taking. No end of consumers would buy TVs and boxes with a familiar interface and a badge that says in effect 'Apple Inside'. It would have virtually no impact on the rest of Apple's market space. Indeed, it could feed it. After all, what phone or portable media player would go best with your iOS TV? What laptop? What Tablet?

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 12:46:06
Print Post

Companies want the source code when they licence an OS for embedded purposes these days. Apple would never agree to that.

Giles Jones
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 14:03:13
Print Post

I think the limit on Apple is the limit on the industry - and that is component supply. Apple has, a bit like MS did back on the day, found itself as a price maker, not a price taker.

Apple effectively does license its OS. It doesn't not make iPhones (Foxconn does, among others) nor MB, MBAs or MBP etc. Despite being a "hardware company" it makes very little hardware.

It was, at one point and may still be, the largest buyer of flash memory in the world - which it then sent to Foxconn to put in iPhones.

It has recently hinted at a strategically significant supply deal - many have thought this is hi-res screens, I suspect it is SSDs (flash-with-bells, if you will!).

I think you are making the mistake of "Microsoft Thinking". And I doubt Apple will let that happen (at least until SJ dies).

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 16:10:05
Print Post

But who does make their own hardware these days?

Where do you draw the line?

Apple could have their own shipping company, own courier, own printers, own mines for mining the materials.

It's not really cost effective to own all your own production facilities, if you farm out the work you can switch between manufacturers to get the best deal.

Of course, the disadvantage is leaks do occur.

Giles Jones
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 17:23:44
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

This is true.

The question, however, is whether - in terms of the capacity of the company - this is a material difference to when MS licensed 'doze to all and sundry - but on its terms. Dell, HP etc etc just had to suck it up.

Now, of course, they have a more-or-less viable alternative in Android and a few are, indeed, using it as a stick to beat MS with.

Would Apple want to risk getting into that position - and weaken is brand - when it is already bigger than MS by value?

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 20:24:42
Print Post

Smartphone OSes don't make money. It's the hardware that makes money.

Sure, Microsoft write a smartphone OS and sell it, but Microsoft are losing money to get into the market like they always do.

Giles Jones
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jan-11 21:19:24
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

Smartphone OSes don't make money.

A smartphone isn't smart without the OS.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to