Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Feb-11 15:58:12
Print Post

Airport HDDs

[link to this post]

I've connected a 1TB drive to the USB port on my Airport Extreme. No problems but...

I want to reformat it, but according to the Airport Utility Help:
AirPort Utility does not support formatting disks. Format the hard disk using your computer.
I assumed this meant I'd just use Disk Utility, but it doesn't see it.

Does it mean that I have to connect it direct to the computer (iMac) to format it, or am I missing something again? crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Feb-11 16:02:14
Print Post

Re: Airport HDDs

[re: billford] [link to this post]

According to this thread you do have to connect the drive directly to your computer to format it. I'm not that surprised - most network file systems don't allow disk formatting over the network. I can understand why that might be thought a good idea.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Feb-11 16:06:58
Print Post

Re: Airport HDDs

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Oh bother. (The filter would take out what I wanted to say wink)

More cable grovelling... thanks for the link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to