Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 28-Feb-11 22:46:55
Print Post

Mac and panasonic and dlna

[link to this post]

I have all my itunes media stored on a NAS drive in mp4v format, i am hoping to get a panasonic dlna compliant tv, have installed tvmobili as dlna server, does anyone have any experience of whether this will all work together, as although i can see all my content on my mac from my iphone am unable to play them, probably just the wrong kind of player, and am worried that the tv wont be able to either.
Standard User Adrian
(experienced) Mon 28-Feb-11 23:03:26
Print Post

Re: Mac and panasonic and dlna

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

I have a new Panasonic 42 inch plasma tv and I gave up on the built in media server because it seemed to be so fussy about the formats it would play. I ended using my mac mini, which I mainly use as a mail server etc, additionally as a media server and just installed Plex.

Plex seems to play anything and everything I throw at it.

Adrian

**"Consturbata sunt visera mea"**
Standard User najarak
(committed) Tue 01-Mar-11 09:11:48
Print Post

I use Isedora Media Server with my Panasonic TV, it has VLC embedded in it so it plays all the video content that I have tried. ITunes movies play fine through it.

I would agree with Adrian that the Panasonic does seem fussy about what it will and won't play, some .jpg still images will not work with it and some will, also the Media Player won't play music, for that one has to put the music on a USB donglecrazy

I'm toying with getting an Apple TV, but that probably won't play .wmv files which Isedora does play confused

Steve

IDNet Home Max

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User janitor
(experienced) Tue 01-Mar-11 12:05:00
Print Post

Thank you for the replies, i have the mini connected to my present tv, but the hdmi lead seems to knockout my netstream and some of the digital tv channels, and connecting with vga i get a very dark picture, so was hoping that dlna would allow me to put the mini to another use. pictures and music i'm not really worried about was just hoping to be able to stream my itunes movie collection to the tv. Will have to see how it goes.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 20:01:45
Print Post

[re: najarak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by najarak:
I'm toying with getting an Apple TV, but that probably won't play .wmv files which Isedora does play confused

Unless you jailbreak it, the Apple TV (2) only plays content that iTunes can play, so you'd have to convert first. If you jailbreak it you can install XBMC which probably does it.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Install_XBMC_on...

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User najarak
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-11 22:38:09
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I need to consider this further, I don't have a problem with videos, Isedora works quite happily with the Panasonic; the problems are with some .jpg images that the Panasonic refuses to show.

I have not been able to identify why it won't read some and yet reads others.

Jailbreaking and installing XBMC looks a bit beyond me!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

IDNet Home Max
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-11 11:02:09
Print Post

[re: najarak] [link to this post]

I don't know about jailbreaking, but I've installed XMBC on my old PPC Mac mini and it is very straightforward - basically just an application that launches full screen (and a lot more stable than the PPC version of VLC).

Print Thread

Jump to