Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Mon 14-Mar-11 11:08:51
Print Post

iPad 2 in wild

[link to this post]

Have just seen my first iPad2. Guy from states is on my plane...

Said he queued for ~ 3 hrs.

Hmmm yes I want one

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-11 13:21:23
Print Post

Re: iPad 2 in wild

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

Take a look at the Apple support forums before you buy. You may change your mind.

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

There seem to be two major problems emerging. Actually one is a problem and the other a misconception.

The problem is 'screen bleeding/leakage'. Not really sure what it is but a lot of people are unhappy. Mind you, as always, people who are happy do not post on forums!

The misconception is regarding the camera. The forward facing one is ok for FaceBook/Skype etc. but the rear facing one is a major disappointment. People expected a camera of the quality of the iPhone4 or 4th generation iTouch. Not so. It is a very poor 0.7 megapixel camera giving very poor still shots. It seems ok for video which is the purpose Apple intended.

Personally I would never buy an iDevice on the merits/demerits of it's camera.

I'm very happy with my original iPad and have no desire to up(sic?)grade.

Look at the forums and macs discussions and make up your own mind.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-11 13:50:07
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

Ah yes - the land of the reasoned response: "What a joke. I'm never buying apple products again. This is RIDICULOUS."

Or he could take it to an Apple store and get it swapped OR wait to see if it s actually the bonding issue reported on iPhone 4 that self-fixed after a few days.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-11 14:14:39
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian_c:
Ah yes - the land of the reasoned response: "What a joke. I'm never buying apple products again. This is RIDICULOUS."

Indeed... there are plenty of those on the Apple forums. smile The new Apple TV2 has also given rise to a lot of vitriol. RTFM springs to mind. I had to use that expression a lot in my days of mainframe and IT support. (BTW the 'F' is Fine not what some may think)

I'm always amazed/amused that people are willing to spend a lot of money on these expensive toys without some basic research.

Your comment about the Apple store is very valid. I'm fortunate and have two nearby and on the few occasions I've had to use them found them extremely helpful.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-11 14:32:21
Print Post

Yep - friend had the proximity sensor issue with his iPhone 4. Walked into Covent Garden without appointment and walk out half an hour later with a new unit.

And I have had a new battery from Brent Cross (!) for my MBP, despite it not being a warranty item and being quite old.

Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Mon 14-Mar-11 17:02:50
Print Post

Chap on plane seemed very happy with his smile

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-11 17:17:17
Print Post

Don't get me wrong... I'm sure it is very nice. When lot's of people buy these products they are bound to find what are 'teething' issues to them at least. Remember that people always post to complain, rarely praise.

As ian_c pointed out the leakage/bleeding issue could be the same as the iPhone 4 and will vanish in a few days. I can't comment as I stuck with my trusty 3G and did not go for the 4.

The camera issue is user perception. As far as Apple are concerned it is working as designed.

The only thing that might have persuaded me to upgrade to an iPad2 would be the faster processor. But it is after all a tablet and not a computer. If I want power I'll use my MBP.

I primarily use my iPad for mail, web browsing and for many of the thousands of useful apps. The original iPad meets this requirement more than adequately.

Oops.. forgot about the fun part of my iPad... I use it to fly a Parrot AR Dronegringringrin

Edited by Kaoshan (Mon 14-Mar-11 17:21:32)

Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Mon 14-Mar-11 17:39:22
Print Post

Another thing you will really have to consider (and I'm very reluctant to bring it up here as it is not the place) is that Apple IOS devices will not and never will support Flash. This was an Apple decision from the start. As far as Apple are concerned HTML5 is the way to go. There are some (App) alternatives. If you really need Flash the iPad (any flavour) is not for you.

I repeat please do not debate Flash on IOS devices here.

I posted this as info for a potential user.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-11 18:43:45
Print Post

Not debating, other than to note that the issue (other than Jobs having learned not to be beholden to 3rd parties) is about battery life trade off. So it really is a question of priorities.

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-11 19:14:25
Print Post

The cameras are for video. Why on earth someone wants to lug a heavy tablet around and use it to take 5 or more MP photos I don't know.

Giles Jones
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to