Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:06:15
Print Post

Urgent help needed

[link to this post]

Guys have a problem printing a PDF prepped on a PC

My Adobe reader is 9.4.3 so is as up to date as it can be

Printer is an HP PSC 1410

I need to be able to print this out Back to Back and I can't see how to do this - my printer dialogue box just seems to allow me to print the whole 40 pages single sided - I can't see a method of even printing one page at a time , which would let me do it page by page !!

Whether I print from the Reader Print Icon or from the Menu bar , I can't get a way of back-to-backing

HELP PLEASE

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.4 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:11:37
Print Post

Re: Urgent help needed

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Have you tried printing from Preview.app?

You should be able to select alternate pages, File => Print selected pages, put the paper back in the printer then select the other alternates and print them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:21:46
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

now that's an idea - I'll have a go at that smile

Have to finish the back ups first since I've attached an external Drive .

Taa Bill - watch this space smile

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.4 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 22:52:35
Print Post

Preview does all I need with PDFs. The only thing it seems to lack is the ability to fill in PDF forms.

I didn't even have Adobe Reader on my Mac until this month, when I needed it because HMRC's PAYE tools produce Adobe FDF form files that will only print via the Reader.

The current version of Reader is Adobe Reader X 10.0.2. So you're not *quite* as up to date as you can be.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 23:09:08
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Alan - I only got the notification last week for 9. x.x !!

Printing a trial worked nicely - slow since each page has to be done separately - but at least I can now print from the PDFs smile

One problem solved . Got a HUGE amount of printing to do this week - well before Sunday evening . Must lay in another HP XL cartridge I suspect frown

Hmmmm If you are printing a form or two for HMRC - can you print individual pages ? If so how ?

Odd - just opened Reader and asked for update and got this

<<Adobe Reader is already up to date.

Adobe doesn't have any updates at this time.

You can update Adobe Reader automatically in the future by changing your Adobe Reader preferences. >>

And yes - it's still Reader 9.x.x

Edited by goldenoldie (Wed 13-Apr-11 23:11:57)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 13-Apr-11 23:22:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
slow since each page has to be done separately
Ermm- why? Printing alternate pages should get around that.

Just realised, maybe I should have been clearer- you have to manually select alternate pages for printing with cmd-click, there isn't an automatic selection.

And be very careful which way round you put the paper back in the printer, I've got that wrong more than once crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 23:48:06
Print Post

I think Adobe Reader only auto-updates within one major release. You have to download and install it manually to get the newest major release. Personally, I avoid their bloatware if at all possible.

If you really prefer Adobe over Preview, http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html takes you to Adobe Reader X

I needed to print a P60 form from HMRC tools, which is only a single page anyway. You can print a single page of a multi-page PDF in Adobe Reader X or in Preview by selecting Print, and then specifying one page number.

To print a single page in Preview, you can click the Sidebar button in the toolbar, select the page you want in the thumbnails, and select FIle->Print current page. Reader X has an equivalent "Current Page" option in the Print dialog

As Bill says, in Preview, you can print all odd pages, then put the paper back in and print all even pages on the back, or you can print individual pages. I've just checked, and Adobe Reader X allows this as well. You have to click the "Printer" button at the bottom of the Print dialog, and ignore the complaint that Adobe makes that you are going to use the OS X printer control.

The steps are the same in either application once you are in the OS X printer control:

- If you only have a short Print dialog, click the down arrow next to the Printer: menu to get the full monty.
- Use the pop up menu half way down to select Paper Handling.
- Select Pages to Print: <Odd>
- Print the odd pages
- Put the printed pages back the other way up so that the blank surfaces will be printed, with the tops the same way round as they were for the odd sides.
- Repeat the sequence, but select Pages to Print: <even>

Works fine if your printer doesn't do what mine does occasionally, and feed an extra "blank" page frown

Alan
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 23:50:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
... - you have to manually select alternate pages for printing with cmd-click, there isn't an automatic selection.

No you don't - see my description above.

Alan
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 13-Apr-11 23:55:53
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

How do you select only odd (or even) pages without doing it manually?

I can't see it in either Preview or my printer dialog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 00:11:31
Print Post

I described it. Not sure how to make it clearer, other than to say the steps I left out at the beginning were:

- Open a multipage document
- Select File->Print, or hit Command-P, or click a Print icon in the toolbar if you have one.
.... then follow the other steps I listed.

I note that I should have said the Paper Handling options are named "Odd Only" and "Even Only". Also, I am running Snow Leopard. I'm pretty sure it also applies to Leopard, but I don't know if these options were available before that.

The Paper Handling menu is available in all applications that use the Apple standard Print control dialog as far as I know. I've used it for double sided printing in Pages and Numbers as well as In Preview.

Alan
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to