Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 08:18:15
Print Post

OK - next urgent problem

[link to this post]

sort of allied to the first smile

mate and I use dropbox to pass these documents to each other - works like a dream .

yesterday while in his place of Mon-Fr fun [ hehe ] he was trying to combine 2 PDFs - putting the second one at the end of the first so it was only 1 file [ does that make sense ?] Anyway Adobe wasn't playing frown

I ~believe~ it can be done in Preview - by having 2 windows open [ one for each or the 2 documents ] and having the side bar showing thumbnails - Yes ?

So opened 2 that were sitting on my desktop to have a shot at this before trying it with THE REAL THING smile

Doc 1 had 9 pages and Doc 2 had 3 [Doc 1 was text and Doc 2 had maps ]

I found if I selected all 3 of the maps [ click on first then Alt+A ], in the side bar and then dragged them over to the sidebar of Doc 1 it didn't want to scroll down to the bottom of the Doc 1. I could drop the 3 map pages anywhere in Doc 1other than at the end. I could , by selecting each page individually , get them to the end of Doc 1, but it was very very reluctant so to do after 1 page added .

Any ideas on this one ? - to save our sanity you understand

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.4 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 10:01:48
Print Post

Re: OK - next urgent problem

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Another reason to prefer Preview. smile

However, if you merge more than one page of one document into another, they go across as a separate multi-page set. You can see a spiral binder image on the new set with a little curly arrow. Click the arrow to expand the multiple pages you have dragged. You now have two spiral binders in your target PDF. All the pages are there, but they are in two binders.

I'm not sure what this means, but in order to keep things simple, and as I haven't done this with big documents, I just merge one page at a time. As they are appended, the scroll bar moves to the bottom of the latest one ready for the next one to be added.I haven't had the problem you describe of not being able to drop a page at the end of the document.

BTW You can see more pages at once for this purpose if you click the tab at the bottom of the side bar with six little rectangles in it. The sidebar expands to the size of the window.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 10:54:00
Print Post

Re: OK - next urgent problem

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Thanks Alan - I'll have another play later today

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.4 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to