Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wonnyjilkinson
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Apr-11 17:58:22
Print Post

iPad + Bluetooth

[link to this post]

Hopefully, somebody can clarify this for me.

I have previously paired my mobile with my iPad (my iPad is not a 3G model) however, I was online in a cafe the other day when the conection went down. I was then presented with a message, something like did I want iPad to use my mobile as a modem. I confirmed I did and continued to e-mail an acquaintance.

My question is, assuming this data usage is applied to my mobile's allowance, is there anything I should be aware of in doing this again - I suppose I'm thinking about the amount of data used supporting the iPad in terms of what the mobile uses as normal.

Hopefully, that makes sense?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 18-Apr-11 13:13:58
Print Post

Re: iPad + Bluetooth

[re: wonnyjilkinson] [link to this post]

As far as I know, 'Tethering' which is using mobile data for another device is not included in the mobile plan.

I would check with your mobile operator before doing any big downloads!
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 18-Apr-11 21:17:22
Print Post

If you have a smartie phone you should check the phone to see if tethering/WiFi hotspot is enabled and then check to see if this is included in your allowance. You should also check to see what restrictions are being applied to it being used if it is enabled and allowed inside your data allowance. If it's not a smartie phone then you may want to find out how it managed to allow a dial up type data connection and then exactly how much this may have cost!

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 18-Apr-11 21:18:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Depends on the network. 3 allow it. O2 are allowing it on new contracts (they block it otherwise). I'm not sure about others.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Apr-11 22:55:22
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

It's simply not worth getting booted off the network for.

Giles Jones
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 19-Apr-11 07:40:15
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

Why would you get booted off the network?

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User johnhunt101
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-11 11:57:39
Print Post

Re: iPad + Bluetooth *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Apr-11 12:41:20
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

If you're breaking the terms and conditions then they might withdraw service or charge you extra.

Giles Jones
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 20-Apr-11 18:45:03
Print Post

Re: iPad + Bluetooth *DELETED*

[re: johnhunt101] [link to this post]

Advertising is not allowed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Thu 21-Apr-11 00:11:01
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

Where was the OP breaking their contract when the network provider allowed them to use their iphone as a modem/hot spot? Charging you may not be an 'extra' either. Such data usage will be in your contract already. The only question is whether it is part of an allowance or an extortionately charged service like mobile data roaming.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
  Print Thread

Jump to