Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 29-Apr-11 18:27:50
Print Post

Repair Disk problem

[link to this post]

Had a bit of an "Oops" earlier on today- accidentally kicked the output connector from the UPS frown

Restarted and all seemed to be OK but, just to be on the safe side, ran Disk Utility, Verify Disk. It came up with errors and the usual "Restart from installation disk etc".

But it wouldn't restart from the Snow Leopard DVD... you can hear it spin the disk and after a bit the grey screen with the Apple logo appears and there it stalls. Eventually the DVD stops spinning and the only thing I can do is a forced shut-down via the power switch crazy

Ran the Hardware test utility- no problems. Disconnected everything except keyboard and mouse, still no joy. Reset the PRAM and NVRAM, same. Tried setting the startup disk to the DVD, same.

I don't have another Mac with a Firewire connection to try Target Disk mode..

It reads the DVD OK, and comes up with the installation dialog if inserted with the system running, it just won't boot from it crazy

I put everything back together and, before posting here to ask the experts, ran Verify Disk again to note the exact error messages... and there weren't any, it passed the drive as OK confused

So I don't have an immediate problem, but I'm not happy being unable to boot from the DVD.

Anyone got any ideas before I call support?

(I'm out of free technical support time but still within hardware warranty)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-11 18:31:42
Print Post

Re: Repair Disk problem

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Have you tried cleaning the DVD? It sounds to me like the fault is with it rather than the computer.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 29-Apr-11 18:34:24
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Yes, tried that, even tried the DVD from the MacBook and (against all instructions) the 10.5 Leopard DVD. No go frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-11 18:51:51
Print Post

I believe that the iMac will only boot from the DVD that was supplied with it, or a newer retail DVD. So it could still be that the disk itself is damaged. I don't know whether Apple will provide a replacement disk if you explain the problem, but it does sound as if talking to them is your best bet.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 29-Apr-11 19:00:31
Print Post

You may well have a point there, because I should have three SL disks- one from the MacBook, another when I upgraded the old (still dead) iMac and another when I bought this one.

I can only find two... and I can't find the Adobe PSE installation DVD either. Time to institute a rummage, no doubt I've put them "somewhere safe" crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Apr-11 19:09:39
Print Post

Have you done something simple like running a lens cleaner through the drive? The slot-loaders that Apple use (Panasonic iirc) are notoriously flaky and easily upset by dust (although it is usually writing that gets messed up rather than reading).

But then, I had to get the one on my MBP replaced just before Applecare ran out.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 29-Apr-11 19:27:45
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

No, I haven't tried a lens cleaner, mainly because I haven't got one tongue

Easily remedied of course, but AEP's point has made me realise that at least a couple of DVDs have gone into hiding, so I'll track them down before I do anything potentially expensive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 29-Apr-11 20:32:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
I believe that the iMac will only boot from the DVD that was supplied with it
Spot on... found the right disk eventually and it booted a treat, thanks smile

You'd think they'd at least provide an error message crazy

Still no sign of that blasted Adobe DVD though mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Apr-11 20:57:41
Print Post

They only cost about a fiver!

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 29-Apr-11 21:07:44
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I thought you were referring to Adobe DVDs at first- a disadvantage of flat mode tongue

I'll add one to the "to get" list, I've never needed one before so just haven't bothered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Print Thread

Jump to