Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-May-11 09:33:59
Print Post

Drag and drop on iPad2

[link to this post]

Is it possible?

As well as the obvious uses in word processing, I like to re-arrange the BBC Home Page, a facility I assume some here are familiar with.

A few months ago, iPad(1) days I think, I asked in the Trafford Centre Apple shop and got treated like a doddering old git smile. I'm not sure if that was because I'm obviously over 35 or because the assistant didn't know the answer to that or a couple of other deeper questions than "Does it do Twitter?"

Maybe even the idea of even looking at the BBC website completely blew his mind tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-May-11 12:39:52
Print Post

Re: Drag and drop on iPad2

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Drag and drop isn't really a great way of moving stuff on a touch screen. You can drop something where you don't want it if for whatever reason your drag is interrupted.

Many desktop operations don't make sense on a touch screen.

Giles Jones
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-May-11 12:44:36
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

So how do you move it? That is the requirement, the method less important smile. You can't delete these sections from the website and insert them elsewhere.

Have you seen www.bbc.co.uk and played with it?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-May-11 18:28:48
Print Post

Well I'm saying that the browser support javascript and so websites that do it may let you drag and drop.

But there's no API for apps to do that.

Giles Jones
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-May-11 19:03:32
Print Post

The latest suggestion I've had at John Lewis is that the iPad2/Safari doesn't support Flash, and that the BBC website is Flash-based.

I have my doubts about the validity of that, but not ruling out the possibility.

Thanks for your input though smile.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 13-May-11 19:38:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The latest suggestion I've had at John Lewis is that the iPad2/Safari doesn't support Flash, and that the BBC website is Flash-based.
The JL staff probably only look at the pictures tongue

The videos on the Beeb pages are Flash, but it seems hard to believe that Safari won't play them crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-May-11 20:19:02
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Not on an iPad, it won't. Flash is not supported on the iPad.

But I don't think that is connected with the OP's problem. The drag and drop aspect of the BBC Glow JavaScript libraries just doesn't work on an iPad because of the way that the "mouse" is handled. I'm afraid that Safari on an iPad, fun though it is, is not the full web-browsing experience.
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-May-11 20:33:38
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

It's poor programming of the site. There are vast number of people on mobile devices who won't be able to use these features.

Giles Jones
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-May-11 21:12:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by gilesjuk:
It's poor programming of the site. There are vast number of people on mobile devices who won't be able to use these features.
To be fair, we are talking about the main site. They do have an easily accessible mobile version. Just that on my only current mobile device, (Nokia N900), full-version websites are fine, Maemo version of Firefox is included, so I haven't had to bother with mobile versions of anything.

The N900 has the same problem, and I don't see it as the site designers' fault. It is simply that the device OS has no mechanism for the normal click-and-hold then drag on a touch-screen. I blame the technology, not the site. It only needs a key or key combination to lock the screen and allow drag, from the user perspective, and after that most of the code is already there.

I can tolerate it on the N900, but on a decent-sized wham-bam-"I'mTheGreatest" piece of kit I'm disappointed.

Surely it isn't beyond the wit of the programmers to cater for this sort of thing? How do you manage in the WP app? Even on these forums I use drag/drop a lot.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-May-11 21:58:33
Print Post

I'm not sure that it's reasonable to blame the BBC when only one device doesn't work with that particular version of their web site. If all web sites have to support the lowest common denominator then things will never progress.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to