Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User biffs
(member) Fri 03-Jun-11 21:50:15
Print Post

Firewire lost after battery run down...

[link to this post]

I'd left my MBPro running on battery whilst connected to a TimeMachine HD and another external HDD.

On starting after it ran down I find I don't have any connections - both drives are no longer registering/mounting. I've re-booted a couple of times with no success.

Could someone offer some suggestions how re-try please?

Thanks.

Bill
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jun-11 22:11:46
Print Post

Re: Firewire lost after battery run down...

[re: biffs] [link to this post]

Reset the PRAM.

Giles Jones
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 03-Jun-11 22:13:57
Print Post

Worth a shot:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 03-Jun-11 22:14:24
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

Snap smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User biffs
(member) Fri 03-Jun-11 22:26:52
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks. I've now reset the PRAM as instructions but no change. Thanks for your efforts.

Switching off until tomorrow when I'll have another go.

Bill

Edited by biffs (Fri 03-Jun-11 22:34:08)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 03-Jun-11 23:15:21
Print Post

One thing that sometimes works is taking the battery out and then re-inserting it... another possibility (but something of a last resort by the sound of it) is to reset the System Management Controller.

But frankly, if it were me, I'd give the support desk a call first crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User biffs
(member) Sat 04-Jun-11 09:52:27
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for this advice.

(and thanks to MrsBG for letting me use her iMac to contact you all whilst my pride and joy is under discussion!)

I've re-set the SMC and it has re-established the connection to my Time Machine on the FW800 port. Whether doing this, or just removing the battery as suggested is the solution I don't know.

It's spending quite a while 'cleaning up' but at least there's activity and lights flashing which proves the port is still working.

The other drive on the FW400 port (which was only a clone of my main HDD) is still not responding. But I'm very relieved to have the TM back, I can tell you!!

(EDIT: what's happening now is: all's OK with Time Machine until I plug the other drive in ... when I lose both with a 'you didn't shut down properly... etc. Unplugging the FW400 drive and re-booting gets the TM back. looks like I've a prob with the old FW drive/connection or both)

Bill

Edited by biffs (Sat 04-Jun-11 10:03:59)

Standard User defcom
(experienced) Sat 04-Jun-11 10:20:04
Print Post

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1151?viewlocale=en_US

----------------------------------------------------------------
iMac 27" i7 3.4GHz 16Gb/ram, OS10.6.7, Netgear DGN2000

BE* Unlimited
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 04-Jun-11 10:25:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by biffs:
It's spending quite a while 'cleaning up'
It always does if anything happens to disrupt the connection- if you look in the system log it probably says "the node needs a deep traversal" or similar. I think it means it's doing a sanity check.
(EDIT: what's happening now is: all's OK with Time Machine until I plug the other drive in ... when I lose both with a 'you didn't shut down properly... etc.
I had that (twice) on the old iMac, though with USB. On one occasion it was the port that had packed up, on the other it was the drive electronics (Western Digital MyBook drive).

If MrsBG will trust you, it would be worth trying the drive on her iMac.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jun-11 13:53:39
Print Post

Could always try another cable.

Giles Jones
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to