Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 16:28:11
Print Post

syslog

[link to this post]

I want my router to send its log entries to my iMac, I've enabled the router's syslog option to the appropriate IP on port 514, do I have to configure anything on the iMac?

And will it go in the System Log or somewhere else?

tia

edit- I tried the method described here, but it looks like Apple have changed things since then- the plist file doesn't contain the text mentioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Thu 09-Jun-11 17:10:54)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 20:50:02
Print Post

Re: syslog

[re: billford] [link to this post]

My .plist file contained that commented text. I've uncommented it and relaunched the plist. Note that you do have to open it in a text editor - I use BBEdit.

My Netgear router is configured to send syslog data to my MacPro. I clicked the "Send Log" button and it posted 'Send Email Success!" both in its own window and in my MacPro's console display for "All Messages". The console logs the sender as "Unknown[-1]". There's probably a config option somewhere to give it a more meaningful name.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 8GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 20:59:12
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AlanH:
Note that you do have to open it in a text editor - I use BBEdit.
I used TextEdit, won't that work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Thu 09-Jun-11 21:14:39)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 21:14:08
Print Post

Ignore previous tongue

I grabbed TextWrangler (it's free!), that opens it properly but the text isn't in there, commented out or not... is it OK to paste it in from the example in the link?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 09-Jun-11 21:30:29)

Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 21:35:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Ignore previous tongue

I grabbed TextWrangler (it's free!), that opens it properly but the text isn't in there, commented out or not... is it OK to paste it in from the example in the link?

I'd be reluctant to say 'Yes'. since I can't imagine why your file isn't identical to mine and that guy's.

Here is my full file. Does the rest if yours look like this? ....

Text
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0">
<dict>    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.apple.syslogd</string>    <key>OnDemand</key>
    <false/>        <key>HopefullyExitsLast</key>
        <true/>        <key>EnableTransactions</key>
        <true/>        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array><!--
        Un-comment the following lines to run syslogd with a sandbox profile.        Sandbox profiles restrict processes from performing unauthorized
        operations; so it may be necessary to update the profile        (/usr/share/sandbox/syslogd.sb) if any changes are made to the syslog
        configuration (/etc/syslog.conf).-->
<!--                <string>/usr/bin/sandbox-exec</string>
                <string>-f</string>                <string>/usr/share/sandbox/syslogd.sb</string>
-->                <string>/usr/sbin/syslogd</string>
    </array>        <key>MachServices</key>
        <dict>                <key>com.apple.system.logger</key>
                <true/>        </dict>
        <key>Sockets</key>        <dict>
                <key>AppleSystemLogger</key>                <dict>
                        <key>SockPathName</key>                        <string>/var/run/asl_input</string>
                        <key>SockPathMode</key>                        <integer>438</integer>
                </dict>                <key>BSDSystemLogger</key>
                <dict>                        <key>SockPathName</key>
                        <string>/var/run/syslog</string>                        <key>SockType</key>
                        <string>dgram</string>                        <key>SockPathMode</key>
                        <integer>438</integer>                </dict>
<!--        Un-comment the following lines to enable the network syslog protocol listener.
--> 
                <key>NetworkListener</key>                <dict>
                        <key>SockServiceName</key>                        <string>syslog</string>
                        <key>SockType</key>                        <string>dgram</string>
                </dict> 
        </dict></dict>
</plist>

Alan
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 8GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 21:45:15
Print Post

No, mine looks the same as the one for SL Server in the link:

Text
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0">
<dict>        <key>EnableTransactions</key>
        <true/>        <key>HopefullyExitsLast</key>
        <true/>        <key>Label</key>
        <string>com.apple.syslogd</string>        <key>MachServices</key>
        <dict>                <key>com.apple.system.logger</key>
                <true/>        </dict>
        <key>OnDemand</key>        <false/>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>        <array>
                <string>/usr/sbin/syslogd</string>        </array>
        <key>Sockets</key>        <dict>
                <key>AppleSystemLogger</key>                <dict>
                        <key>SockPathMode</key>                        <integer>438</integer>
                        <key>SockPathName</key>                        <string>/var/run/asl_input</string>
                </dict>                <key>BSDSystemLogger</key>
                <dict>                        <key>SockPathMode</key>
                        <integer>438</integer>                        <key>SockPathName</key>
                        <string>/var/run/syslog</string>                        <key>SockType</key>
                        <string>dgram</string>                </dict>
                <key>NetworkListener</key>        <dict>
            <key>SockServiceName</key>            <string>syslog</string>
            <key>SockType</key>            <string>dgram</string>
        </dict>         </dict>
</dict></plist>

OS X is 10.6.7, (I've added the bit I think I need in the same place as the example).

edit- and as in the link, it seems to be a binary file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 09-Jun-11 21:51:23)

Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 22:06:00
Print Post

It looks as if your Sockets section is the same as mine if you include the NetworkListener key as you have it, so it will probably be OK.

Wonder why you have the Server version!

Alan
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 22:11:47
Print Post

Right, I'll give it a go... taking a copy first tongue
In reply to a post by AlanH:
Wonder why you have the Server version!
Good question smile

It's a new-ish iMac and came with 10.6.3, maybe something to do with that. I'll have a look at the file on the MacBook later, that came with Leopard and got upgraded to SL later.

Thanks for your help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 22:21:10
Print Post

Well, nothing emitted smoke smile

Just have to wait for the router to decide that something loggable has occurred, I don't feel up to trying to force it at the moment, I've delved sufficiently into the unknown tonight crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 22:24:06
Print Post

Wahay, it works! Puts it in the system log too, just where I hoped it would go smile

It labels it with the LAN IP of the router, so that's easy to find.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to