Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 22:57:31
Print Post

No new Mac mini?

[link to this post]

I was kind of hoping for a new improved cheaper/more powerful mac mini from this years WWDC. Doesn't seem to have happened or am I missing something?

If not now I guess autumn this year (or fall as the yanks call it). Any one know?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 22:59:32
Print Post

Re: No new Mac mini?

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I saw a comment somewhere that with all the emphasis on software this time it was unlikely any hardware would get a look in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 23:06:21
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Shame nothing interesting or exciting from Apple this year. All they have really done is play catch up with Android and dropbox/exchange sync, lol! I really can't understand what iCloud does that isn't already available elsewhere. Apple is getting boring.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 09-Jun-11 23:07:55
Print Post

But at least there's less stress on the credit card wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 23:11:06
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Already got credit card stress so that's a good thing, thank you Apple!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Jun-11 08:28:18
Print Post

I think there are cloud services around, but they aren't as well integrated as iCloud will be.

Giles Jones
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:15:19
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

Yes dropbox does the file sync part although not integrated and therefore not (as) easy.

Contacts, calendar and mail are already synced between both my phones (work android and my personal iPhone) Google exchange takes care of that.

Looks like something has already changed in the app store as it now shows purchased apps and purchased apps that are not installed on this iOS device, you can then select for install.

Still I wanted a cheaper mac mini, probably going to wait for the raspberry pi now as that'll probably do what I need.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Jun-11 22:38:47
Print Post

There was no reason for Steve to spend his two hour keynote describing new revisions of the Mac boxes to developers.

The WWDC is the Apple Developer Conference (the clue is in the initials). Developers may need to know about new hardware features they are going to have to program for, and *maybe* they'll be interested if Apple can demonstrate that new hardware will make a significant increase in the addressable market. Other than that, they need to know about the new OS features they will get to play with. And that means the emphasis is on software.

Recent rumours indicate that the supply chain for Minis and Pros is drying up. That usually implies an upgrade of the specs is in the wind. They wouldn't need a Steve-note to release them, though. Just a press release will do it.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 8GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 01:17:44
Print Post

whatever the next gen mac mini will be like, it certainly won't be cheaper
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Jun-11 07:47:52
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

True but the current one will be cheaper as people flog them on eBay. wink