Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 14-Jun-11 22:50:36
Print Post

Airport Express

[link to this post]

My Airport Express, which is about 2-3 years old and only used for playing music from iTunes, is beginning to shuffle off its mortal coil...

After an hour or so from switch-on it begins to periodically drop the wireless connection for a few seconds, at intervals of a few to about 10 minutes. Not conducive to relaxed listening. It seems to run hotter than I remember, but I can't be entirely sure of that.

Question- should I just shrug and buy a new one, or is there something else around which will perform the same function (I neither need or want any fancy bells and whistles) for a lower or comparable price?

(I'm assuming that getting Apple to repair it isn't a worthwhile option)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Tue 14-Jun-11 22:53:23)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jun-11 22:57:17
Print Post

Re: Airport Express

[re: billford] [link to this post]

You could buy a decent PC with a WIC and HD and it would do the same job for far less money. Obviously it would not have 'middle-class' appeal like your Mac 'with rims and lowered springs' does though. Dam ricer.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 14-Jun-11 23:00:31
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 12eason:
You could buy a decent PC with a WIC and HD and it would do the same job for far less money.
Size, price, power consumption and noise.
Obviously it would not have 'middle-class' appeal like your Mac 'with rims and lowered springs' does though. Dam ricer.
Go away and grow up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jun-11 23:16:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Go away and grow up.
How very dare you. Mac users are so rude.
Standard User nonbio
(newbie) Wed 15-Jun-11 08:56:53
Print Post

What a remarkably stupid reply to a perfectly sensible question.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 10:22:34
Print Post

[re: nonbio] [link to this post]

And if you feed the troll he will just come back.

Unless bill has already done the necessary.

Standard User Adrian
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 10:50:44
Print Post

Both my Airport Express and Airport Extreme have been exhibiting this behaviour ever since I got my Billion 7800N router. The log typically shows an endless list of the following:

Jun 15 03:57:11 Severity:5 Disconnected from network.
Jun 15 03:57:14 Severity:5 Joined BSS 00:04:ed:97:fb:2d
Jun 15 03:57:15 Severity:5 Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:04:ed:97:fb:2d

Both units work fine apart from these connection drops that last only a couple of seconds. I think the problem is with the Airport units rather than the Billion router and I have also tried some tweaks to the router settings to no avail.

I do not think either of my Airport units is defective as such, rather incompatible in some way with the Billion router. The Express only provides a wireless connection to the ftp server in my Foxsat HDR recorder and I can transfer files with no problems because the transfer just resumes when the Express come s back up. The Extreme is currently only used to provide wireless connection to my Samsung laser printer and again, in that role the drops cause no problems, but it is annoying nevertheless.

Adrian

**"Consturbata sunt visera mea"**
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 11:30:12
Print Post

[re: Adrian] [link to this post]

Yup, that's the message I get (only ten minutes after startup this time) and yup, I've just put in a 7800N router crazy

Intriguing... some food for thought there, and head-scratching for a work-around.

Thanks smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 12:42:35
Print Post

There can be loads of wireless routers in the vicinity. Tried changing channel?

Giles Jones
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 12:43:36
Print Post

Until you got the electric bill and saw the PC had used twice as much power.

Giles Jones
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to