Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 20:26:29
Print Post

Airport Express 2

[link to this post]

Sparked by Billford's problem, may I ask the Sage forum members about my little problem....

I have replaced the old garden shed with a nice new (wooden) garden office.

The desk has gone in and so has the venerable Dual (1GHz) G4 PowerMac (I know- it's reaching the end of useful life)

The desk has line of sight, through Bifold doors, ~12metres away to the Airport Express which is set to extend the network from the router at the front of the house...

With me so far?? (I'll upload a sketch if it helps!)

All through the house the MacBook and Mac Mini (and for that matter the iPhones) get a great signal.

In the office, however, the G4 has awful reception, 1 bar at most and usually none.

The Macbook gets 5 bars of Airport reception in the office, so I'm confident that I have extended the network correctly.

Q. Can airport cards (of the age in the G4) die of old age?
Q. Would it be worth trying to attach an external aerial to the airport card in the G4?
Q. If I thought 'forg*t the airport for the G4' do the Powerline connectors work if the 2 plugs are on separate circuits (on the same board)?
Q. If so are they all compatible- I ask this as one set on Amazon says M$ only!?!

Any alt.suggestion.

Thanks

A

Sorry Bill

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean

Edited by nonymouse (Wed 15-Jun-11 22:35:20)

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 20:40:22
Print Post

Re: Airport Express 2

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nonymouse:
Any alt.suggestion.

Thanks

A
Give some money to charity.
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 20:46:43
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Give some money to charity.

Thanks for the quick response 12eason,

Can I be more specific and ask for sensible suggestions?!?

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 20:55:38
Print Post

Any alt.suggestion.
If you edit out the swearword in the 3rd question I won't have to delete your post for evading the language filter...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User acpsd775
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 21:50:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

ive been trying to figure out what that word actually is lol

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 21:53:11
Print Post

Sorry Bill
No problem, thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 21:54:39
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
ive been trying to figure out what that word actually is lol

Ash
The word it is, is fine.

The word it was, wasn't tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 22:08:13
Print Post

I can't help with the wireless questions, but:
do the Powerline connectors work if the 2 plugs are on separate circuits (on the same board)?
They probably will, but it's not guaranteed and will probably be slower than if they're both on the same ring.
If so are they all compatible- I ask this as one set on Amazon says M$ only!?!
Again, I think they're supposed to be but you'll never get anybody to say "Yes, our homeplugs will work with any others".

It's very much "suck it and see" I'm afraid.

Another suggestion- you've obviously run mains, and possibly phone, cable to the shed office, why not run a length of Cat5e cable with a socket at each end? 12 metres is well within spec and provided you don't run it too close to the mains cable it should be fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 22:40:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
provided you don't run it too close to the mains cable it should be fine.

As the mains to the shed office runs through a 1/2" pipe, it would have been fairly adjacent smile

A

Speedtouch 580
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 22:43:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
provided you don't run it too close to the mains cable it should be fine.

As the mains to the shed office runs through a 1/2" pipe, it would have been fairly adjacent smile

A
No problem

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to