Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(member) Mon 04-Jul-11 21:39:28
Print Post

PHOTOS STORAGE

[link to this post]

In the past I have been able to make secure copies of photos from a digital camera by just copying the photos from a Mac to a series of CDs [neither of our G4 Macs has a DVD writer].
But now with newer cameras, the size of each photo is larger - typically 5MB each, so there is only room for about 140 photos on each 700 MB CD.

I could buy a larger hard disk drive [ at present a LaCie 233 GB disk drive is used for backing up the USER contents of each Mac] but I prefer a permanent back up for photos, which cannot be deleted.

We could send our photos to our PANA DVD recorder which could then write them on DVDs but I suspect that those DVDs would then only be readable on a DVD recorder, and not on a Mac.

Is there a stand alone DVD writer which could be used with our G4 Macs?
That should let us get about 800 photos on each DVD.

What do others do for creating an archive of several thousand photos?
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Mon 04-Jul-11 22:31:28
Print Post

Re: PHOTOS STORAGE

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

This should work fine for what you require

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro, Ubuntu 11.04, Backtrack 4
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win XP (VPN File Sharing Server Server)
Netbook Intel Atom N455 1gig DDR3 1066 250gig sata2 HDD Windows XP Pro Ubuntu 10.10
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 05-Jul-11 01:11:09
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

The above should work IF the G4's have USB2. If they are USB1 then you will have a problem!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jul-11 02:34:51
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The above should work IF the G4's have USB2. If they are USB1 then you will have a problem!

If the OP's G4s are towers, then they should be able to get a USB2 PCI card from somewhere like amazon. smile

Nothing to see here.. Move along, please
My Broadband Speed Test laugh
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jul-11 07:07:02
Print Post

[re: Basenji] [link to this post]

If they are towers surely you could just install a cheap internal drive.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 05-Jul-11 11:36:38
Print Post

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

Recordable CDs and DVDs are not permanent copies - the data is recorded by a heating and deformation process, the deformation can revert back.

The only permanent method for storing digital data is by using spinning discs that are frequently backed up to other spinning disks and as the technology for the drives is obsoleted you move forward the data to the newer standard of storage.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 05-Jul-11 12:32:04
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
Recordable CDs and DVDs are not permanent copies - the data is recorded by a heating and deformation process, the deformation can revert back.

The only permanent method for storing digital data is by using spinning discs that are frequently backed up to other spinning disks and as the technology for the drives is obsoleted you move forward the data to the newer standard of storage.
Depends what you mean by "permanent"... before I retired my group was asked to recommend the best way of storing documents and data for periods up to 50 years, with retrieval that wasn't dependent on the "latest and best" technology...

The conclusion was an environmentally-controlled vault, laser-printed documents and 8-hole paper tape tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 05-Jul-11 13:13:01
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Even the 8 hole paper tape is suspect - how many paper tape readers do you know of that are easily commercially available.

A few years ago (mid 90s) I visited the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman Montana. There was a display of B&W photographs of the early settlers. Alongside the display was a notice lamenting that recent social history photographs (previous 30 years or so) were not so easily available after the introduction of colour film into common usage. Colour prints tended to fade after a few years whereas B&W prints tended to be much more resistant to fading and so were much more permanent.

The permanence of digital images is much more flimsy - especially for non backed up drives that die and the PC is replaced or the owner of the machine dies and the next owner of the drives does a format and bang goes the history of the last 10 or 20 years for a family.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 05-Jul-11 13:28:38
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
Even the 8 hole paper tape is suspect - how many paper tape readers do you know of that are easily commercially available.
None... but I could fairly easily make a reasonably fast one from scratch if I had to. Wouldn't know where to start with a DVD drive crazy

Though I'll admit that a 10-megapixel colour image might be a bit of a handful on paper tape!

We found that the K.I.S.S principle was very relevant to long-term storage and data retrieval.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Tue 05-Jul-11 13:30:14)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 05-Jul-11 14:01:21
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Apologies for thread drift - but I remember in the 90s in the computer press there were reports that the department that looked after the veteran's affairs in the US could not read the data stored on some of the earlier mag tapes and that the organisation had not run a process of moving data forward to the latest form of storage. The kit required to handle the low density tape was no longer available and it could have been that if such a tape drive was available then the the software would have not been available to read the tapes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to