Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jul-11 23:47:40
Print Post

OS X Lion

[link to this post]

I hear OS X Lion is out today (Wednesday)!

Is it worth the upgrade?

I don't like the idea of things synching in the background like address book and calendar. That is when you get corruptions.

Let me have your thoughts....
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jul-11 00:32:43
Print Post

Re: OS X Lion

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Lion sucks.
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jul-11 01:02:55
Print Post

There are lots of things not to like about Lion unless you like the computer to try and second guess your actions all the time.

The first thing you will want to do is turn off auto correct as you type or that will drive you nuts. I'm not going to bother upgrading as it doesn't offer any compelling reason over Snow Leopard. I somewhat fear for the future of the Mac platform as Apple has found that the mass market is more profitable for them so they seem to be putting all their efforts in that direction, I so hope that this prediction is wrong as I much prefer to use a Mac for my everyday system but things don't look promising.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jul-11 08:42:42
Print Post

[re: Going_Digital] [link to this post]

I just wonder what won't work with Lion [ baaaaaad memories of HP PSC with Leopard and Snow Leopard ]

I'll wait a few months .

Mind you - there is the little problem of Mobile Me , which will go

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.8 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 20-Jul-11 09:24:31
Print Post

Always keen to try new things I'll be installing Lion on a MacBook Air that I keep for 'sacrificial' purposes.

Not considering installing on my iMacs for several months until Lion proves stable and functional with my application software.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jul-11 09:31:26
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jul-11 10:11:54
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

thanks for that

But at present I'm more interested in things like my printers - I have 3 , all relatively elderly , but they work - for ordinary printing anyway - an HP PSC 1410 [ and also its Deskjet equivalent , which was my husband's ] and a Canon Pixma IP 1600 .

IIRC HP were very slow bringing out updated Drivers for their printers and I'm not techie enough to be able to go and set up generic stuff - I need to wait for the manufacturers updates.

I do use Mobile Me , so it looks as if I'll be forced to Lion at some point

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.8 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 20-Jul-11 10:13:37
Print Post

It is going to be fantastic not having to worry about saving documents and never having that sinking feeling of lost work again. Also great to see someone moving forward digital delivery and removing the need for a disc to be posted out - that should be possible in 2011. A others have said not all older software will def work but software developers have had notice that they needed to be ready so it's not Apple's issue if they are not keeping up with progress.
If it ain't broke don't fix it is the mantra of the windoze world in my book and I for one would not rather be using windoze 95 over Lion.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 20-Jul-11 10:13:48
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
I just wonder what won't work with Lion
If it shows as PowerPC in the process list you'll need a new one frown

I'll wait and see about Java, but I gather Flash is out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Boats and ... [New]_______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 20-Jul-11 10:19:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
If it ain't broke don't fix it is the mantra of the windoze world
That's got to be one of the funniest comments I've read in years laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Boats and ... [New]_______________BQMs: IPv4, IPv6 & Speeds
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to