Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:31:26
Print Post

OMFG!

[link to this post]

Anyone using Lion opened Calendar?

What is that? Is it supposed to be a simulation of leather or an extraordinarily badly simulated plastic leather from the land that taste forgot? If someone finds something to get rid of this 'feature' then please let me know what it is. In the interim I'll access my calendar vis Google!

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:42:33
Print Post

Re: OMFG!

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Anone opened Contacts?

Now I think I'm going to vomit! What is the point of an interface that looks like a book, but doesn't behave like one with an OS where so many things behave like they are books?

I'm beginning to wonder if Mr Jobs' illness has affected his sense of taste here.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:06:20
Print Post

it's a bit bill gates isn't it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:14:24
Print Post

have you seen what happens when you scroll right or left in month or year view
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Jul-11 17:20:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Desmond:
Anone opened Contacts?

Now I think I'm going to vomit! What is the point of an interface that looks like a book, but doesn't behave like one with an OS where so many things behave like they are books?

I'm beginning to wonder if Mr Jobs' illness has affected his sense of taste here.

Its a copy of the iPad. Looks exactly the same. Contacts & Calendar and even Mail.

I don't get it at all, Launchpad is a waste of time, changing the scrolling gestures (thankfully easily reversed) and now all the scrolling in non apple apps (Chrome, Firefox etc) is broken. If I wanted an iPad, I'd have bought an iPad frown

I wonder if Apple is thinking they can sell more Mac's if they make them like iOS/iPad but this will annoy those who like the older OS X UI frown

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Jul-11 17:21:06
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Aliturk:
it's a bit bill gates isn't it

Not really; its a bit "fisher price". Thankfully Office 2011:mac still works fine, and I use Outlook.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Jul-11 17:32:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I think that Apple are trying to merge the two OSs. Whether that's a good idea is a matter of opinion.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 23-Jul-11 20:09:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It took me no time at all to become an ambidirectional scroller, but then I am an ambidextrous trackpader/mouser so such things don't seem to bother me either way (no pun intended).

I can see some sense in having a unified interface across phone, pad and Mac. However, what might be visually appropriate and friendly on a pad just looks tacky and childish on a laptop.

I'm completely with you on Launchpad. I struggle to see the point of it in its present form. it's a an interface that is appropriate with the limitations of big fingers and small screens, but when given the wider manipulative options provided by mice and trackpads it's just plan annoying to use and even more annoying to try and organise when you need to manipulate the icons one at a tine and you can't remove the ones you don't need.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 23-Jul-11 21:54:51
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I don't see how you can merge the two OSs. Despite all the post PC BS I think the WIMP principles of the Mac OS (and Windows) and nested directory file structures will still be with us for a long time to come. I can see database driven alternatives, like that used in iTunes and elsewhere, becoming more and more common and being dominant in many instances, but mice are very versatile things (like pens and pencils they are better than fingers where precision is needed) and nested directories and/or indexes do provide an easy to understand and easy to manage all purpose system for organising information/assets. Likewise, as useful as the ability to gesture is we actually resort to speaking and writing when precision is needed.

Apple seem to have become increasingly obsessed with a search for the next big OS idea in recent releases of OS X. It's become painfully forced and their frustration painfully obvious. Rather than developing what they have we have seen something like Spotlight left essentially unchanged in Lion and, while I find it is very useful, it's somehow half-baked (and buggy). It's not that it's underused; I use it constantly because it's faster than drilling down through nested folders to find things. The issue is that it's under-useable in many respects. The database it creates is substantial and could be used all over the OS and inside almost every app, but it isn't. Same deal Time Machine. Same deal Dashboard. It's like each are being dealt with in later releases as failed experiments that are now legacy features that need to be (reluctantly) supported, but are no longer in active development.

I can't help but wonder if one day, many years from now, the world will recall how some experiment demonstrated by a company called Apple and that was met at the time with yawning uninterest came to rule the world when some interloper released that far from being esoteric or whatever it was in fact the very thin end of a very big wedge. A bit like Xerox and an obscure idea called a 'GUI', pronounced 'gooey', operated using a strange thing that was laughably called a 'mouse'.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sun 24-Jul-11 00:42:07
Print Post

Yawn Apple finally realises what people want. Not sure this thread needs an OMFG title btw.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to