Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 00:31:15
Print Post

Does Mac OSX support tiff photofiles?

[link to this post]

I've some tif photo files produced on a Windows machine. They're on a USB stick. Are these files transferable to a Mac (an iMac running Snow Leopard)? That's to say, will the Mac recognise the files on the USB drive when it's plugged in and therefore allow the Mac user to drag the files to a suitable location on the Mac?

I've googled to try to find out if tifs are among the common files that are recognised by Macs but I've got conflicting answers.

One thing I've been wondering about is that I remember, from way back, that Windows photo files are constructed in the reverse bit-order to those of Macs and so perhaps tifs copied straight from Windows won't be viable for the Mac (though I think the file can be reprocessed in Windows to the Mac-compatible order). But I thought that that problem was eliminated by Microsoft and Apple some years ago.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Aug-11 00:33:56
Print Post

Re: Does Mac OSX support tiff photofiles?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

Should do. Certainly the photo editor I use ( PiIxelmator) can open tiffs.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 02:59:56
Print Post

"Preview" will open TIFF files without any problem. Pixelmator like the other poster has suggested works good for editing too.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 12:12:57
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

ian,

Yes, I know that various specific apps can open tiff files, notably Photoshop, but assume for the moment that there's no such editor on the Mac. Can the Mac, by itself, read the tiff files off the USB stick?

And what of the bit-order problem?
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 12:16:24
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Can you explain what Preview is, uno? Is it a resident utility on the Mac? I myself am unfamiliar with Macs. I'm needing to transfer some tiff files on to a Mac that's newly-acquired by a friend of mine.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 12:17:44
Print Post

Preview is the default viewer for most media files.

If you just try and open a TIFF, it may generally open in Preview (or right click and go to open with > preview).

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Aug-11 12:35:08
Print Post

Don't worry about byte- (not bit-!) ordering in tiff files. The header contains a flag indicating which order is used and the software to read the file will act accordingly.

Now that Macs use Intel processors they use the same byte-ordering as PCs.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Aug-11 12:42:40
Print Post

Photoshop, but assume for the moment that there's no such editor on the MacApart from Photoshop?

Sorry, not quite clear what you are getting at.

Core Image is the OSX native image processing API. It can handle most things (save some highly proprietary formats). If the app can cope a FAT/NTFS stick can be mounted and read (NTFS can' be written to without a little hackage).

Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 09-Aug-11 13:53:46
Print Post

Yes. It is just a file like any other. Some software may make assumptions about the purpose of the file but that won't stop you copying the file off the usb stick.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 16:20:08
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

John, uno et al,

Many thanks for all your helpful replies.

Yes, of course, I should have written "byte-order" not "bit-order". Errh, doh! Anyway, glad to hear that the software takes care of that.

One or two of the comments made assume that the tiff files can actually be seen by the Mac. But what if they aren't? The new Mac on which I'll want to transfer these tiffs belongs to a friend of mine and apparently she's already tried installing tiffs but the Mac sees absolutely nothing on the USB drive. I think that must be due to something not being properly set up, therefore. I'll find out when I have a go myself.

Once again, my thanks to you all for your assistance.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to