Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ichatergosum
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 12:42:02
Print Post

Vinyl/cassette to CD

[link to this post]

I hope it's OK to post this here. (My excuses are that copying to iTunes is a likely option for me, and so the use of my SL iMac is on the cards.)

I have a large collection of audio cassettes, and a sizeable collection of LPs. In addition one of my daughters has left me with her very large collection of audio cassettes, so generously and endearingly confident is she of my prowess with things technical.

I'm looking to put the lot onto a mixture of CDs and iTunes/external hard drive, to free up shelf and cupboard space.

I've found two machines that look useful, namely the Ion LP2CD turntable and the TEAC LPR500 system.

I can hook up my cassette deck to the LP2CD, so the fact that it's billed as a turntable doesn't really matter too much.

Does anyone here have any experience of one or other of these?

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 & Windows XP SP3 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : Voyager 205 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
Standard User Daniel_g
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 13:11:52
Print Post

Re: Vinyl/cassette to CD

[re: ichatergosum] [link to this post]

Seams a dear way of doing things, Do you have a line input on the computer (tower computer will) on the soundcard or a hole on the side of the laptop and with a DVD /CD burner that does blank recordable CD's then take the sound from a hifi line out or headphone output at a push and record as wave files so good so CD tracks,
Put the records into folders of the 1 record or tape and label the same as it is called and then layout the new CD's with CD creator software you get with the computer or CD recorder, if you dont have then cheap to buy, not even £20 now I think for a tower desktop computer.

Will need the correct leads but cheap on ebay, I found a USB output record player for £60. Not sure what SL imac is but gessing has line in and a DVD,CD recorder drive.
Just get into the computer using line input and find a freebee sound recorder/editinging program so the songs can be recorded in the wave format and ready to go.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/ion/p...

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rls=com.mic...

Richer sounds do second hand stuff, mind did when there last December getting the new toys, Big 3d telly, new bedroom LED telly and surround sound stuff and 3d Blueray but thats another story.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-3-5MM-JACK-3-5MM-JACK...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-3-5mm-Jack-2-x-RCA-Twin...

Don't know about macs so this might all be wrong and not what you got in mind but £300 to get stuff onto CD, seams a bit expensive.

Done myself what I have been banging on about and does work, but not sure what itunes is or works so maybe not helpfull.
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 13:15:20
Print Post

I've no experience of the LP2CD but used the original Ion USB turntable to transfer over 600 LPs onto my computer and into iTunes. It took forever but was well worth the effort as I regained a lot of cupboard storage space and made a handsome sum of money by selling my collection of LPs to a dealersmile

I did not have many cassettes, never liking the format, and the few dozen I had I loaded manually onto a computer using the Line-in jack.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 13:55:56
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Daniel.

About 9 years ago I spent ages getting some of my LPs and a few of my audio cassettes onto CDs. It involved an iMic, CD Spin Doctor and the full use of our dining table to take the computer, tape deck, turntable plus sundry odds and ends. Didn't really make for a cosy, peaceful domestic scene. If I'd been living on my own, it would have been OK to continue, but ...

I'm now faced with a good couple of hundred cassettes and about a hundred LPs still to go (augmented by my sweet, opportunistic daughter's tranche of cassettes - "I know you're good at this sort of thing, Dad.")

I really feel the pressure of time now, and it seems that just getting the stuff onto CDs quickly is worth the money. I'd sell the equipment plus the LPs once done, to recoup some of the cost - the cassettes can go to Oxfam for all I care. So I'm buying some speed and convenience here - I think.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 & Windows XP SP3 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : Voyager 205 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 13:59:08
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

Thanks, Kaoshan.

I guess whatever method I choose will be time-consuming to a degree. I certainly don't have as many LPs as you did.

I'm leaning to the LP2CD, but would take into account any experiences that users have had of either that or the TEAC.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
Standard User greenglide
(member) Wed 17-Aug-11 14:40:22
Print Post

You have, of course, thought of the copyright issues involved!

Copying to digital media and then selling the originals is most certainly a breach of copyright!

Breach of copyright is theft. If you do it during a riot you will get at least 6 months in prison shocked

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Now with BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload! Never happier!
Standard User stniuk
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 15:50:19
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
You have, of course, thought of the copyright issues involved!

Copying to digital media and then selling the originals is most certainly a breach of copyright!

Breach of copyright is theft. If you do it during a riot you will get at least 6 months in prison shocked

Four years if you tell people on Facebook about it.
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:13:55
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Good point. I misposted. I meant to say that I will not be selling my LPs after didgitising myself, er, the music on them.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 & Windows XP SP3 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : SpeedTouch 536 v6 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Sep-11 20:05:50
Print Post

An approach that would certainly be much quicker and easier would be to download digital copies from file sharing sites. I personally do not normally condone filesharing, but in this case it could be argued to be justifiable, given that you already own the music in question and it would be okay to create your own digital copy by converting from the analogue version, so using filesharing has the same result but saves you a huge amount of time. I don't know what the strict legal position would be, however. The other potential drawback would be the risk of downloading viruses etc.
(committed) Thu 08-Sep-11 01:04:58
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
An approach that would certainly be much quicker and easier would be to download digital copies from file sharing sites.

I had thought briefly about this approach, but never having done it before, I baulked.
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The other potential drawback would be the risk of downloading viruses etc.

A big deciding factor for me.

I finally ditched the LP2CD/Teac route and decided to get one of these ClimaxDigital digitisers.
It's plug and play and doesn't need an amplifier, so all I have is the tape deck/record deck > ClimaxDigital > Intel iMac as my set up. A copy of Audacity is supplied on CD, but I use CD Spin Doctor (included with my copy of Toast 10) to capture the audio, separate the tracks (I choose to do this manually) and send the final product to iTunes. It's an easy process.

I've had a lot of fun listening to Toytown Techno (Sesame's Treet, Trip to Trumpton), lots of reggae from the sixties and much more while digitising my daughter's tapes for her.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 & Windows XP SP3 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : SpeedTouch 536 v6 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
  Print Thread

Jump to