Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Sun 21-Aug-11 01:09:35
Print Post

Seeing images in OpenOffice Docs

[link to this post]

Hi
I have just updated to Lion and found that I can no longer open any documents using Office X. I get the message "You can't open the application Microsoft Word because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". I didn't anticipate this but it's done now and I thought I could just use OpenOffice. Anyway, in several documents which have images, I get the following message in OpenOffice "Quicktime and a decompressor are needed to see this picture" Of course I have Quicktime but I have searched google and cannot find out which decompressor would be needed or where to get it.

Any help appreciated.

Heyokah

ZeN

8000 Active
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Sun 21-Aug-11 02:18:54
Print Post

Re: Seeing images in OpenOffice Docs

[re: Heyokah] [link to this post]

No doubt that there be a free/compatible app that may help with this.
An update may even provide an adequate solution.

The very friendly people here may point you in the right direction. But calling an Apple Guru is a good idea too.

HTH in the meantime.

_
Be* with this (XP Pro & Win7), and a MacBook Pro (OS X)

FREE & Easy Tweaks for WHATEVER Your Speed - CLICK HERE!

Use DrTCP & DMT + settings

Link 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Be* Here wink
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 12:30:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Heyokah:
I have just updated to Lion and found that I can no longer open any documents using Office X.

Can't answer your specific problem; but MS Office 2011:mac works fine on Lion.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Sun 21-Aug-11 13:12:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

MS Office 2011:Mac was an Intel based application so there wouldn't be a problem. My version of Office X is very old and was issued in PowerPC days and no longer supported.

The strange thing is that the information is there because I can see and page through all the information on the icon for the document and I can see all the content if I open in Preview - just not in OpenOffice.

Heyokah

ZeN

8000 Active
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-11 17:33:08
Print Post

The strange thing is that the information is there because I can see and page through all the information on the icon for the document and I can see all the content if I open in Preview - just not in OpenOffice.

I'd expect the image is in a format that OpenOffice doesn't understand. Perhaps try Libre Office which is newer than OpenOffice - and created by most of the OO developers.
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Standard User Heyokah
(committed) Sun 21-Aug-11 23:37:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I'd expect the image is in a format that OpenOffice doesn't understand. Perhaps try Libre Office which is newer than OpenOffice - and created by most of the OO developers.
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Thanks for the suggestion. I opened one of the docs with LO and got exactly the same result as with OO. It may be something to do with the way the old PowerPC version of Office X saved images.

Heyokah

ZeN

8000 Active
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Aug-11 20:55:46
Print Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I opened one of the docs with LO and got exactly the same result as with OO. It may be something to do with the way the old PowerPC version of Office X saved images.

Last idea - maybe a trusted friend with a newer Office (mac or PC) can open and save the file in another format (e.g. DOC to DOCX, or to RTF or even ODF) that LO or OO can process.

Print Thread

Jump to