Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woooshuk
(committed) Thu 01-Sep-11 00:23:40
Print Post

Lion reinstall

[link to this post]

I have an iMac and a Mackbook Pro. Both are less than one year old. Originally bought with Snow Leopard but updated to Lion last month.
I need to have the option to reinstall Lion from a local external copy just incase I run into problems someday. I have created a bootable 8GB USB pen with a copy of lion (from guides online).

However, here is the problem. Both my systems use full disk encryption (from within Lion). This means when I boot either machine and hold down the 'option key' to select the disk to boot from, it will only show me the encrypted internal disk! I do not get the option to boot from any USB drive connected. I'm sure I could decrypt the drive then this boot option would work, but I don't want to do that!

I use encrypted drives purely to protect my data if any numpty decides to steal my machine.

Any help appreciated.
Paul
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Sep-11 21:08:47
Print Post

Re: Lion reinstall

[re: woooshuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woooshuk:
I have an iMac and a Mackbook Pro. Both are less than one year old. Originally bought with Snow Leopard but updated to Lion last month.
I need to have the option to reinstall Lion from a local external copy just incase I run into problems someday. I have created a bootable 8GB USB pen with a copy of lion (from guides online).

I burnt the image to a DVD and have successfully wiped and reinstalled my MBP (bought in June) with this disc.

Having an encrypted partition (I assume with FileVault 2 ?) should not stop Lion Recovery from booting, as they are separate partitions.

You have tried powering off, holding down Command + R and turning on and keeping them held down until the Apple logo appears?

Or holding OPTION instead when powering on and you should get the boot prompt?

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to