Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Sep-11 16:56:22
Print Post

Question IMAC ?

[link to this post]

Hi all.

Yesterday after many years of looking at the Apple Macs i decided to go and buy myself a shinny new IMAC.

Bought it from Best Buy in Dudley and said at the time to the guy is this the fastest one on the market to which he replied yes.

After getting home i find that the model i have which is a 27inch I5 with a 2.7ghz processor and 4 gig of DDR 3 ram and a amd hd 6770m graphic card.

Now i have found out that there is a higher spec IMAC that has a processor that runs at 3.1ghz and a better graphics card 6970m.

Now they both look like they use the same I5 processors and the higher spec is another £250 ..............So do i take it back and get the higher spec and will it make a considerable difference or not.

I'm totally new to Macs so any information would be extremely helpful to me,i mean its still boxed and untouched but when i buy something that can not really be upgraded i want the best that's on offer from the start.

Or should i just get it online from the Apple store where i can get a I7 processor ,8 gig of ram and the higher graphic card.

Thanks all......wink

Edited by time2die (Tue 06-Sep-11 17:18:33)

Standard User dsch
(regular) Tue 06-Sep-11 17:39:39
Print Post

Re: Question IMAC ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

It all depends on what you are going to use it for, how important that extra speed is and whether you need the £250 for something else.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Sep-11 17:55:25
Print Post

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

Actually now i see on the Apple store you can add more ram,change processor to a I7 and basically change most of it but only through the store.

I suppose i don't really need the extra but since they are not really upgradable friendly apart from ram then i thinks its best to have the most powerful at the time of purchase to be quite honest.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dsch
(regular) Tue 06-Sep-11 18:25:17
Print Post

The grass is always greener..... The worse case is buying the computer, getting it home, opening the box, coveting your new toy, plugging it in, turning it on, only for apple to release a newer, faster and cheaper model the next day!
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Sep-11 23:34:54
Print Post

Totally agree mate as you just can not keep up with the way technology moves forward at a very fast pace,i remember getting the Ipad and 8 months later getting a email from apple saying buy a Ipad 2.

That's all well and good Apple but would you like to give me £300 or £350 trade in against your new model.

Anyway i have decided what i have is good enough for what i'm doing and its a lot faster than what i am using at present i guess.
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Wed 07-Sep-11 01:08:04
Print Post

Glad you said that. Apple are 'apparently' ditching Intel processors to get [CH] ARM [ING].

Not straight away, but what do you think of that?

I have always sworn allegiance to my beloved Intel > you KNOW that it will do a fassst job > and IS dependable >> and is tweakable (OS X deals with it automatically, and the graphics are beautiful - the processor ups when it is needed).

Anyway, this may wett your appetite some more.

And some WOW in this video MacBook Pro fans work well. wink

There is a fantastic video out there and he saying the settings to change. Saves trying all the tricks & tips >> just get straight into serious gaming...ONLINE for a change. Nooo cheeeaatsss ~ perfection.

Apple are amazing, and only matched by the very good people here. And that includes you gaming types.

Hello T2D, it's good seeing you here again, mate. *Guesty tips cap @ T2D. wink

_
Using this (XP Pro & Win7), and a MacBook Pro (OS X Lion)

FREE & Easy Tweaks for WHATEVER Your Speed - CLICK HERE!

Use DrTCP & DMT + settings

Link 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 -

grin
Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Sep-11 09:34:12
Print Post

I've always bought the Mac I can afford bumping the specs until I reach my limit. Sold State Drives are expensive, have less storage but massively improve the feel good factor in terms of user interface performance - less bounce and more spring. This would be my configuration - I'd bump the RAM to 16GB only if I needed to use the machine for professional (when time is important) multicore tasks such as audio/video editing. The model you bought won't disappoint though, it's a great piece of kit.

£2,449.00 incl. VAT
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)

bosie
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Wed 07-Sep-11 14:56:58
Print Post

[re: bosie] [link to this post]

Overpriced tat. 2.5k for a computer that has the specs of a £1k PC? I have never been able to understand the mentality of apple fans and I guess I never will.

Still, there is one born every minute they say.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Sep-11 15:11:33
Print Post

[re: Guest_Again] [link to this post]

Never new Guesty that you had a Mac so i will pay more attention next time wink Be prepared for T2D private messages when i actually get around to setting it up smile
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 07-Sep-11 16:08:33
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kamelion:
I have never been able to understand the mentality of apple fans and I guess I never will.
That's why you're content with PCs tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to