Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 09:44:36
Print Post

For Lion Users

[link to this post]

Still not gone over - well as Snow Leopard does what I want still I've no real reason to smile I am of course a tad apprehensive about downloading the app - would be much happier doing it off a DVD so the original is always available to me.

HOWEVER this report does disturb me you can't delete your docs

Come on Lion Users - tell me about it

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.8 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 10:15:48
Print Post

Re: For Lion Users

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

If the report is true then I'm surprised that there is no way of disabling the feature. Hand-holding is all very well but users should have the choice. I'm sure that Apple will in time release a fix that allows the caching to be disabled.
Standard User stniuk
(committed) Thu 08-Sep-11 13:51:27
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I tired this and it's not correct. I created a doc in pages, saved it and mailed it to myself. I quit pages and deleted the doc. Opened pages and the doc was not in recent documents. Opened the mail dragged the doc to the desktop and opened it. Deleted the mail message remembering to erase messages in trash. Opened the doc closed it dragged to the trash and emptied trash. Opened pages and it wasn't there under recent docs.
I think he forgot to delete the message properly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Sep-11 15:20:16
Print Post

Hi Goldie,

You can permanently delete documents in Lion. I've read many articles like this and the behaviour is correctly observed. But the reporter has failed to grasp that Resume is optional (unless restarting due to software updates). Apps with support for Resume will either 'keep' or 'discard' windows on quit - you can set one as the default in System Preferences > General then toggle between them by depressing 'alt' together with the usual key commands or menu selections.

Here the reporter fails to mention to he has saved the file to disk, otherwise there would not have been a file to trash (i.e. the file was not opened directly from Mail using either QuickLook or QuickLook + Open With). He also fails to mention - or probably fails to understand - that Resume 'keep windows' is clearly enabled on his system. When quitting Pages he did not 'discard' the window, hence the window is fetched from Resume the next time Pages opens. Both Resume and Versions are very powerful features that are frequently misrepresented by the gossip press - in time they will understand how silly they were to have rushed to the wrong conclusion. Similarly, a document created but not saved is not automatically deleted when quitting the app - unless the window (not the app) is closed with the option "Don't Save".

Someone emails you a document, and you open it in, say, Apple's Pages app for a look. You read it through then, having done with it, you quit Pages.

You no longer require the document so you chuck it in the wastebasket. Doubly sure you never want it to darken your desktop again, you empty the trash.

You have a second document you want to look at, so you double-click on it, a process that, as you expect, fires up Pages and loads the file.

What you don't expect - but what you get - is a copy of the file you no only threw away but thought you'd zapped for good.

bosie
Standard User m0aur
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 18:17:33
Print Post

I would not bother with lion at all if Snow Leopard does what you want, unless you have a real fast machine. I did a clean install by making a bootable thumb-drive and DVD from the disk image from within the download. Click the images here to see how. http://mashable.com/2011/07/20/lion-clean-install-gu... When you download Lion it will try to go into auto-upgrade mode. Stop that and make your bootable disk, then you can always reinstall. You will need to wipe your HDD, so save what you want to keep, though power Mac apps are no longer compatible. I doubled my 2.66GHz dual core 2009 iMac memory to 8GB this week to try and stop the ever spinning beach-ball when Lion stalls, but no good. Many have this problem. At the moment Lion is not too stable. It has problems with Flash and Java, and my Epsom Stylus S22 printer is not compatible. If I had known all the above, I would never installed Lion. A Google will show there are many of us with problems.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:12:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
Still not gone over - well as Snow Leopard does what I want still I've no real reason to smile I am of course a tad apprehensive about downloading the app - would be much happier doing it off a DVD so the original is always available to me.

When you download the app it sits in the dock until you run it. You can open the file and extract the DMG, and burn that to a DVD. I did this successfully and wiped my MBP and did a clean install using the Lion DVD - and everything is good. If you're still worried, you can pay apple lots of money and buy Lion on a USB stick. You can also create your own USB stick installer if you don't have an optical drive (e.g. MacBook Air).

I don't have iWork (I have MS Office 201!) so the only app I've seen "autosave" in is TextEdit, and its a PITA. You have to remember to Duplicate the file you want to edit in Finder, before you open it, as you can no longer do a Save As !! Its a complete change that if you only use Mac's you'll probably pick up very quickly, and the idea of multiple versions isn't new to Apple, just ask anyone who's used a DEC VAX. The implementation is nice, and it feels like Time Machine in use.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:14:52
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by m0aur:
I doubled my 2.66GHz dual core 2009 iMac memory to 8GB this week to try and stop the ever spinning beach-ball when Lion stalls, but no good. Many have this problem. At the moment Lion is not too stable. It has problems with Flash and Java, and my Epsom Stylus S22 printer is not compatible. If I had known all the above, I would never installed Lion. A Google will show there are many of us with problems.

Interesting, I've got a 2011 15" MBP (core i7 quad, 4gb RAM, 128gb SSD) that I bought in May, and it came with SL. As just posted I've done a complete wipe / reinstall with Lion. Not seen any of the above, but it will depend on the applications that you use I suspect.

I print to a very old HP DeskJet 990cxi which is USB connected to my router and the Mac finds it over LPR through CUPS, along with my Linux box and Windows 7 PC. smile

Standard User m0aur
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:41:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I think one of my biggest problems is that I run Firefox. Apple have admitted that Lion will stall or crash with both Safari & Firefox if several tabs are open. I have several, so there is always the spinning beach-ball on starting Firefox. Little Snitch is showing no up or download at this time, so it is not data overload with many pages loading, it is simply Lion choking on several tabe before download starts. Lion is a nightmare for many, including some with 2011 machines.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3203207?start=0...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3230387?start=0...
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=26511
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/870189

Edited by m0aur (Thu 08-Sep-11 21:47:46)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:45:21
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

Interesting, I don't know how many is many, but I'm using Firefox 6.0.2 with between 4 to 8 tabs open most of the time smile

Standard User m0aur
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:56:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

My browser starts up with the same 50 odd that Snow Leopard handled OK. I then shut down the ones I don't want for that session or day. i have found that much easier that continually loading what you want into a few.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to