Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User koru
(experienced) Sat 10-Sep-11 15:17:58
Print Post

uninstalling office 2004

[link to this post]

About six months ago I decided to install Office 2011 and cease using Office 2004. I just noticed that Office 2004 is still installed, so I wanted to uninstall it, as I no longer use it and it won't even work when I eventually get round to upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion. I tried using the uninstall program, but this tells me that I cannot uninstall as this can only be done by the same user who originally installed. This is puzzling, because I am virtually certain that I'm using the same user as when I originally installed Office 2004.

I realise that I could try to manually uninstall by deleting all the relevant files scattered over my hard drive, but this is pretty messy and I am worried about missing something or inadvertently deleting a file that is still needed by Office 2011. I am therefore wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to persuade the Microsoft uninstaller that I do have relevant privileges.

If I do Get Info for the Microsoft office 2004 folder in applications, the Sharing & Permissions section says that I have custom access and it says that I have Read & Write privileges. I normally log in as a user that does not have admin rights, but I also tried logging in as the admin user, but this is also not permitted to uninstall.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Sep-11 15:23:14
Print Post

Re: uninstalling office 2004

[re: koru] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by koru:
About six months ago I decided to install Office 2011 and cease using Office 2004. I just noticed that Office 2004 is still installed, so I wanted to uninstall it, as I no longer use it and it won't even work when I eventually get round to upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion. I tried using the uninstall program, but this tells me that I cannot uninstall as this can only be done by the same user who originally installed. This is puzzling, because I am virtually certain that I'm using the same user as when I originally installed Office 2004.

I would not try uninstalling it that way. Go to the CONTROL panel and select PROGRAMS and Find Office 2004 and try deleting it from there
I realise that I could try to manually uninstall by deleting all the relevant files scattered over my hard drive, but this is pretty messy and I am worried about missing something or inadvertently deleting a file that is still needed by Office 2011. I am therefore wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to persuade the Microsoft uninstaller that I do have relevant privileges.

If I do Get Info for the Microsoft office 2004 folder in applications, the Sharing & Permissions section says that I have custom access and it says that I have Read & Write privileges. I normally log in as a user that does not have admin rights, but I also tried logging in as the admin user, but this is also not permitted to uninstall.
Standard User koru
(experienced) Sat 10-Sep-11 15:50:38
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks, but Apple Macs don't have control panel.

However, I have worked out the solution to my problem. I originally installed the software on my old iMac, and even though I transferred this and the user to my new iMac, the user obviously doesn't count as being the same user. So, I connected my new iMac to my old iMac, then used the uninstaller from the old iMac to uninstall the software on my new Mac.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stniuk
(committed) Sat 10-Sep-11 17:24:37
Print Post

Neat smile
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sat 10-Sep-11 19:20:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by koru:
Thanks, but Apple Macs don't have control panel.

However, I have worked out the solution to my problem. I originally installed the software on my old iMac, and even though I transferred this and the user to my new iMac, the user obviously doesn't count as being the same user. So, I connected my new iMac to my old iMac, then used the uninstaller from the old iMac to uninstall the software on my new Mac.

Blimey - what a pain. I will bear in mind if I need to uninstall on my iMac as I think I originally loaded mine onto my old iBookG4 and it has been migrated twice. But until I decide to move to Lion I will leave well alone. smile

Len

Zen Fibre Active. Router Netgear N300 WNR2000.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iMac 9.1 and MacBook both running Snow Leopard smile
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Sep-11 23:32:55
Print Post

[re: lenaspell] [link to this post]

Now this is the sort of thing that makes me worry about moving to Lion - the MBP I use most is about 2 months younger than my first one BUT everything on MBP #1 was brought over to MBP #2 so , in fact MS Office 2008 was installed on MBP #1.

It's the importing of MS Office that concerns me - I need to carry on using it [ and Quicken which is no longer available for Macs , but I still use it ]

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.8 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Sep-11 10:24:38
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
It's the importing of MS Office that concerns me - I need to carry on using it [ and Quicken which is no longer available for Macs , but I still use it ]

I think Quicken is Intel, but I'm not sure - but I'm certain Office 2008 is PPC, so you'll need to upgrade to Office 2011 before you go to Lion.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 11-Sep-11 11:24:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

MS Office 2008 runs under Lion on my machines
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Sun 11-Sep-11 12:04:15
Print Post

Have you tried AppCleaner?

IIRC it is freeware... (I rarely pay for anything I don't have to!)

When I delete an App... it tells me that there are x amount of other files associated with the App and asks if I want to remove those too... (which I usually do)

Seems to work fine... but I can't guarantee that it will find files the M$ has hidden in dark recesses!?!

smile smile smile

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Sep-11 12:29:57
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
MS Office 2008 runs under Lion on my machines

Ahh. it was 2004 that was PPC only, and 2008 is both PPC & Intel and 2011 is Intel only.

Apologies.

Useful info:
http://www.officeformachelp.com/2011/07/microsoft-an...

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to