Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Oct-11 23:00:43
Print Post

Nvidia GPU fault

[link to this post]

My Macbook pro (2007-2008 model) finally succumbed to the Nvidia GPU problem. Took it in and it was fixed the next day. I'd fitted my own SSD and was worried that as I had opened the case it might be an excuse not to fix but it all went well.

Makes you wonder if Dell or others would do the same?

Kudos to Apple and thumbs down to Nvidia for releasing a BGA chip with dodgy solder.

Giles Jones

Edited by gilesjuk (Sun 02-Oct-11 23:02:18)

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Oct-11 23:08:22
Print Post

Re: Nvidia GPU fault

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gilesjuk:
If they could get away with charging double what the hardware was worth in the first place, I'm sure they would do the same.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-11 00:40:39
Print Post

[re: gilesjuk] [link to this post]

It makes you wonder whether the Dell would still be functional after all this time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 07:06:32
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

You consider 3 years to be a long time for a computer to remain functional? Wow.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-11 10:48:54
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
You consider 3 years to be a long time for a computer to remain functional? Wow.
Learn basic comprehension skills. Learn basic arithmetic skills. Read again. Stop trolling.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 11:25:29
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Stop trolling - that's rich. Who introduced the OT remarks about Dell? - absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this post. Pure anti-Dell trolling.

2008 - 2011 is 3 years in my book, but I appreciate that arithmetic may be different elsewhere in the Universe.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-11 11:41:06
Print Post

Learn basic comprehension skills. Dell was referred to in the OP. Did you even read the OP? No? Well there's a shock coming from troll in chief. At least 12 is funny.

Despite the OP, the MBPs with the suspect chips were the June 2007 release. You many wonder how I am so sure of this. Learn basic reasoning skills to go with the arithmetic.

And stop trolling the Apple forums.

Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-11 17:15:49
Print Post

We have Dell laptops at work and they don't seem to last very long. Either the cosmetics start to fail (current batch has the plastic coating on the speaker grilles peeling off) or in the case of some much earlier ones we had everything bar the case failed.

However these were supposedly more consumer orientated units with faster graphics. But even so, so have pretty much every component replaced shows how poor they were.

Anyway, where would you take your Dell laptop? you would need to mail it off. I took my laptop to an Apple store and picked it up the next day.

I paid £900 for it (old stock) and therefore it wasn't so overpriced.

Giles Jones
Standard User gilesjuk
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Oct-11 17:18:30
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Guess what? a DVD costs a few pence to make. But the film on them costs millions to make.

In the case of Apple's machines they cost more to design and engineer and the OS upgrades are a lot cheaper. You generally get better service too.

I've had a normal PC laptop, it was ugly and noisy.

Giles Jones
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 17:26:46
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

In fact, Dell do repair manufacturing problems in 3-year old laptops free of charge. It's unfortunate, if predictable, that a thread praising Apple's good service degenerated into trolling by the fanbois regarding Dell. The suggestion that Dell don't support their customers in this respect is only overshadowed by the suggestion that Dell laptops don't last 3 years. Both suggestions are laughable.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to