Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MakeMosaicTrace
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 12:47:15
Print Post

Using a Pipex email account with an O2 broadband server

[link to this post]

Hi,

Can anybody help me?

I've recently upgraded to an iMac which is connected to the internet via my O2 broadband router. Up until now I have used a PC, connected to "Pipex Broadband" via a separate telephone connection (it actually dials up to make this 'broadband' connection).

The problem is how to send and receive mail on the new computer. I tried entering the details that show on my e-mail account on Microsoft Outlook (2003) on the pc. At first I thought I'd entered the wrong details but suddenly noticed that I was starting to receive mail, so I'd something right!

The problem is I cannot send mail. I have two e-mail addresses that I've been using to date on the pc: 1234@homecall.co.uk and another one that receives mail into the same inbox but, as I understand, via my website.

Whilst I've entered values for incoming and outgoing mail servers in the mail preferences on the mac just as on the pc, I was guessing that the outgoing server might need to be O2 as its their broadband connection. However I've tried that it I still can't send mail. I might have entered it incorrectly. I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions??

Do I need a new e-mail address? I'm hoping not to as I might lose good contacts

Edited by MakeMosaicTrace (Wed 05-Oct-11 14:21:27)

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Oct-11 13:13:08
Print Post

Re: Using a Pipex email account with an O2 broadband server

[re: MakeMosaicTrace] [link to this post]

Does the outgoing server require authentication?

Have a look under Preferences >> Accounts >> Advanced and try checking or unchecking the SSL option.

Or under Accounts >> Account Information select the smtp dropdown list and "Edit Servers" and see if that reveals anything.

Also worth a check in the O2 forums here, I imagine.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Oct-11 13:21:36
Print Post

Have a look at this page. You will need to use the O2 mail server and you will need to use authentication.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Oct-11 14:08:21
Print Post

It would be wise to edit your post to anonymize your email addys.

Most ISPs, incl. O2, block other providers' port 25 SMTP outgoing mail servers. Does Pipex provide a non-port 25 SMTP server that you can use instead? If not, you must use O2's SMTP for that email account if you want to send on it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 14:40:13
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

The problem here seems to be that when I check to use SSL and it requires a password, it rejects the password. The password I'm trying is the one for the o2 website, which, according to the instructions on the page that the next reply gives a link to, should be the one to use. I've also tried the WEP key that came with the broadband modem. Still can't get things moving and now I've created 3 accounts - 2 pop and 1 'exchange', I'm getting quite confused!! Aaaaargh!!
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 14:43:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi
Thanks for replying. I don't know if Pipex provides a non-port 25 SMTP server and I don't know how to find out. Is it something I can find on my screen or does it require a phone call?
Cheers
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Oct-11 15:25:41
Print Post

I don't think you should be using SSL, just authentication. The link says to use port 25, which is non-SSL.
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 21:15:52
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I've finally cracked it - using entourage for mac! I sent my first e-mail from this computer just a while ago, complete with attached images - HURRAY!!

Only one new problem, now........in the thrill of this success I went on to try to repeat and send the rest of the images I needed to send but on the 2nd e-mail I was unable to attach the selected items......

Once selected, you're supposed to press the 'choose' button (it worked this way 1st time) but on my subsequent attempts the 'choose' button remained faint and inaccessible. The only button that was dark and press able was the 'cancel' button.

So, does anybody have a fix for this?!!!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Oct-11 02:09:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by MakeMosaicTrace:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I've finally cracked it - using entourage for mac!
How? What SMTP did you use and was it authenticated?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
(newbie) Fri 07-Oct-11 09:48:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi
I used 'relay.o2broadband.co.uk' as the smtp, authenticated with my o2 password. The details for setting this up were sent to me by o2 inn reply to one of my various calls for help. Effectively, this has given me the facility to use entourage with the o2 address provided as part of my broadband package. I have still to experiment and try out the suggestions received to see if I can send/receive messages in entourage from my home call address too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to